mtbr member

Porcupine Ridge... worth it??

Some friends and I have a weekend epic planned next weekend. Friday at hardwood hills. Saturday morning at Buckwallow and we are thinking Porcupine Ridge after lunch. I haven't been to Porcupine. How is it? Worth the trip?

Thanks,

D

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I too would like to know what sort of riding this place has. Is it much like Buckwallow? Is it more a trail filled with mostly stunts? Jumps and bridges, see-saw's etc? Different? What type of riding and how many km's of riding?

humber river advocate
    i like it more then buckwallow actually... even the koa has some fun tech rock areas behind west side...
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find one via search engines..
    looks like a FUN trail. it's settled. Buckwallow in the morning, Porcupine after lunch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hellfish34
    Thanks for the link. I couldn't find one via search engines..
    looks like a FUN trail. it's settled. Buckwallow in the morning, Porcupine after lunch.
    The only thing between your plans and perfection is a lack of butter tarts. Luckily, there is a fix for that. Between rides go here: https://www.martysworldfamous.com/contactus.aspx

Ride Buckwallow (save some time to chat with Mike in the parking lot - fantastic guy), go get some butter tarts from Marty's (I also recommend the bean salad), and then rock Porcupine on a full stomach. Perfection.

mtbr member
    In the past I have typically ridden Porky's first, then Buckwallow.

The reason for this is simply that Porky's has more climbing and tech areas then Buckwallow so I prefer to be 100% on my game there. Buckwallow is a fun place to ride, but softer around the edges compared to the Ridge.

Either way you'll have fun, two great places to ride.

mtbr member
    I have to agree with HubbaMan I would do the village first then go see mike at Buck the only trail close to the village in bukwallow is the weasel and you can do that early in your ride and then cruise fast or slow depending how you feel to finish the day.

mtbr member

done and done

Thanks for the tips. Gonna be a great weekend of riding. Friday at Hardwood, Saturday morning we will hit Porcupine first, followed by some butter tarts then hit Buckwallow. Sunday we are going to take advantage of Pinkheadedbugs Awesome map and play in 3 Stage for the day.

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    I'm going to try and ride there this afternoon, tomorrow my daughter is doing the kids tri and I'm the main crew member.
    But the group will likely ride there Sunday morning if it isn't raining.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There are some reviews here: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...4_4528crx.aspx. I'd say the most recent one (top) is fairly accurate.

... and I also agree with the others about the order. Do Porky's first ... if you ride everything there and still have anything left in the engine, head over to Buck's. If you can only do one and had to choose, Buckwallow would get my vote (great place).

mtbr member
    I have to agree about one thing that if you are looking for "flow" then only a very few trails at the village have what you are looking for and I'm thankful for that. we ride it a lot and have since the mid 90's and I have leaf blow it, walked it, raked it and snow shoed it, I know all the roots and rocks and any ride I know I could end up on my head somewhere. It keeps challenging us year after year that's what we love about it.
    I also buy a membership at Buckwallow every year ( check the calendar on the bulletin board in the parking lot) itís a great place to ride, different but very good flowy and fast and much more relaxed.
    If it's been dry and you like to ride difficult stuff vote the Village.
    If it is or has been wet lately Buck dries out faster and doesn't require as much front tire grip
    You should like both
    Have a great ride

Muskoka

So...

how was it??

mtbr member
    Haven't gone yet....and it's killin' me. But hotels are booked and (knock on wood) weather looks good for the long term forecast. We are going next weekend. Starting on the 21st at hardwood. Hope to take some pics so everyone can see what they missed.

Happy Mojo Rider
    Ok guys dumb question time....I'm also going on this trip and I have been reading about guys dropping their seats for certain trails, why would you want to drop your seat and would you recommend it for trail the Porcupine Ridge? I hear that Porcupine ridge has a few drops and the trails are for intermediate riders so should we think about dropping our seats?
    Thanks for the replies
    Ted

mtbr member
    If you can get off and back on your seat it's just fine.
    If you try to get full leg extention like your road bike well maybe you could drop it a bit everyone is different mine is maybe an inch lower than than full

[IMG][/IMG]

Rise and shine drop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieTed
    Ok guys dumb question time....I'm also going on this trip and I have been reading about guys dropping their seats for certain trails, why would you want to drop your seat and would you recommend it for trail the Porcupine Ridge? I hear that Porcupine ridge has a few drops and the trails are for intermediate riders so should we think about dropping our seats?
    Thanks for the replies
    Ted
    It just comes down to the type of riding there is at Porky's, it's nothing earth shattering, just a bit more technical in spots then many people are used to. For the chutes, if you can get your butt over the rear tire & back then you'll be fine, otherwise expect to stop at the top of each chute to lower your saddle from full XC mode.

mtbr member
    My Gravity Dropper gets a good workout whenever I ride there!

Happy Mojo Rider
    OK since Hellfish hasn't given you guys a run down I will and can add stuff that I missed about the ride.

Friday..Hellfish and a friend drive up to Hardwood and start riding while me and a friend arrive late just in time for Radical. If I were to do just one trail at Hardwood it would be that one, what a technical and a long 15 km ride. It took us almost 2 hours and we loved it. Check into our hotel and go for a great meal in Barrie at the keg(can't ever go wrong with the keg and I have yet to have a bad meal at any keg.

Saturday..morning wake up at 8 go for a great breakfast at Loobies on horeshoe valley rd and head to Santa's village. Get there around 10:30 and start the ride. It was a grueling 2 hour ride that threw everything at us. Signage was average with a few stops but getting lost in there is fairly easy if you don't have a map but it was a blast. We ended that ride with a crazy downhill part that tested all of our skill sets and if the day finished after that I would have been happy but no time to rest load up the bikes and head to Buckwallow. What an amazing place Mike came out to meet us and asked where we were from. Gave us a complete rundown of all the trails plus a good loop for us to do. Started off with the easy stuff and ended with the hard trails and threw in the new trail he is building. All the rocks that day were grippy and we didn't slid off of any of them including Santa's village. Both trails had a great use of the rocks and both had a a fun long ladder bridge which we loved riding. I've never had to pull up on my handlebars so much to make it up those rocks in the trail. The best thing I did was lower my seat at the village because I would of had problems going down those hills.

Sunday we ended up at 3 stage after some backtracking and missing road thanks to me and my GPS. 3 stage was a great place to ride the signage confused us and I wish Pinkheaded bug was there but he had done a crazy ride the day before and wasn't up for it. That place was amazing and I started to feel my body just say enough from all the riding so it was a long and grueling 2-3 hours but I would gladly do it again. It was very slippery in places which has us picking our lines carefully. We headed home missed traffic and we are all still sore today from thrills and spills. We took no pics because if I would of had a camera it would have been smashed from all the times I fell

mtbr member
    That's sounds like a weekend of riding! That's my favourite trail at hardwood as well, it been a few years though we do the 8th line now and then itís right beside HW and it's free.
    Mike is very friendly and helpful and he does a great job taking care of his trails(maybe to good). That was for Mike if he reads this.
    Sorry about our signage at the village I have picked up some fallen signs but don't always have tools to nail them up so they may be at the base of a tree?? I know not the place most people look for them.
    Sometimes getting lost is the best way to find things
    Hope you had fun.

Happy Mojo Rider
    We had a great weekend of riding and I'm hoping we can
    make it a yearly outing with the guys. As for the signage we weren't too worried about it but like you said it was a lot of fun getting lost. The last downhill we did was pretty sketchy but a lot of fun I think it was stairway to heaven but like the sign said in order to get to heaven you have to ride through hell Thanks to the locals for the tips on where to ride glad to have met you at the trailhead that day.

mtbr member
    I ride with a group of about eight to ten guys that have been riding there for 10 or 12 years (we started in our forties) so often one of us is coming or going I usually ask anyone we see at the start to ride for bit with us if they are good and want to go at a faster pace they can after a few trails but most time I enjoy showing people around. I think the others would as well. or at least be friendly and help with directions and such. Not sure who you meet but I haven't been out for a week or so. But maybe next year on your annual trip

mtbr member

epic weekend...

we had a great weekend of riding. I was the one that got out of the city early and missed the 400 traffic so got 25k in before the troops arrived to join me for Radical. After 25k in Hardwood, Radical is RADICAL. I would have much preferred to ride it first but new the boys would want to ride it as well...so I rode Serious, Cranked and Sidewinder while I waited. I love riding at Hardwood. Trails are always in great condition and the signage is second to none. After the Hardwood ride I crushed a steak and a few pints of guinness at the Keg

Saturday was an epic day of riding. We hit Porcupine around 10ish and hit the trails. Got lost after about 15 mins and just decided to ride. I'm fairly sure we did some trails twice as it's pretty easy to get turned around/lost in that place. not sure if we hit it all but rode for just over 2 hrs. We then decided to skip lunch and hit Buckwallow right away. Mike is a seriously great dude that really caters to riders. It was our first time to Buckwallow and it won't be our last. We ended up riding every bit of singletrack Buckwallow had to offer plus most of the double. After almost 5hrs of riding...why not hit the keg again. (crushed another steak)

Sunday we hit 3 stage. I'm still 50/50 on 3 stage. First 15 mins were awesome. great flow and fun to ride. we had PHB's map in tow but it wasn't much help. It seems like an awesome map that he spent a great deal of time on but with the lack of signage we didn't know where we were and just went. we got sooo lost that I think we missed most of 3 stage and were somewhere on the Bruce Trail. after a few hrs of riding and no hope of ever finding our way out of there...we ran into some walkers that told us we were way off line and directed us to 6th line and we found the cars from there. I think 3 stage would be great if you had someone who knew the trails well. Could have been worse...we could have not been riding our bikes

Can't wait till the next trip. Nothing better than riding with the boys and laughing our @sses off. (not much funnier then someone going over there handlebars 2 mins into Radical after proclaiming how he is gonna f@#kin kill it today)

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, the map is best if you've ridden it a couple of times before, otherwise there is pretty much no way to get de-lost once you are lost.

It sounds like you ended up doing the gnarly bit of the Bruce. That is no fun at all when it is slick. I've ridden it in pouring rain and it almost killed me.

Sorry I couldn't make it but I pulled a muscle in my neck on the at the end of our 4 hr epic at 3-Stage the previous day... would not have been much help I think!
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Happy Mojo Rider
    That was one of many spills I took over the handlebars that weekend. I'm happy nobody was seriously hurt (I think) and sitting at the keg every night going over each days spills was the absolute best. This will be a yearly event but let me know when your better PHB and then you can show us the best parts of 3 stage before next year. Epic weekend!