Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread

On behalf of the Hamilton Cycling Club and its Trail Advocacy Committee, it gives me great pleasure (and tremendous pride) to announce that the Hamilton Conservation Authority has asked us to propose 10km of NEW SINGLETRACK in Christie Lake Conservation Area.

The South Shore (the top area of the map below) of Christie Lake is already home to roughly 10km of mature double-track. It comprises an area roughly equivalent to the "business end" of Puslinch. Vegetation consists mainly of 30-40 year-old plantation pine interspersed with hardwood corridors. The topography is quite varied and would best be described as rolling.

I will be leading a "Get to Know Christie" tour this Sunday morning, departing from Cafe Domestique at roughly 10:30 AM (or whenever I'm done my cappuccino). Bring your skis, snowshoes, bikes, families, dogs or whatever. Everyone is welcome! If you're not already an HCA member, it does cost money to enter so come prepared. Carpooling will minimize the price! PM or e-mail me (marcrisdale [at!] gmail [dot!] com) with any questions.

Thanks to everyone that trooped out to the pub last night. It was huge!

Lastly, thanks to all the hard-working Committee members that made this possible. I couldn't possibly ask for a better Xmas present!
    Last edited by garage monster; 01-28-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The HCA's vision was that this would become a trail centre, and attract mountain bikers specifically. VERY exciting.

Huge kudos to the Trail Advocacy Committee for this incredibly rapid progress.

GAME ON!
    that's cool. will it end up being multi-use?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's cool. will it end up being multi-use?
    That's a qualified yes. Like the WCC trails, the plan is that it would be open to hikers, trail-runners and the like but off-limits to equestrians.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    good work X10

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    That's a qualified yes. Like the WCC trails, the plan is that it would be open to hikers, trail-runners and the like but off-limits to equestrians.
    so, basically, a moving rock garden?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    so, basically, a moving rock garden?
    The way the double-track (which is open to horses, BTW) is laid out in there, the new network will come out looking something similar to Buckwallow (minus the granite) with loops darting in and out of forested "pods".

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Congrats HCC!!!
    Great job.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Congrats HCC!!!
    Great job.
    The SHCC has been a great inspiration!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Congratulations. Hopefully this sets an example for other municipalities and Conservation authorities

Edited to ask...Did anyone guess the surprise?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Edited to ask...Did anyone guess the surprise?
    Can't say for sure. I think some people had a feeling SOMETHING was up at Christie but there was an audible gasp when I said "10km". And then, when I unfurled the giant topo map... applause!

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Can't say for sure. I think some people had a feeling SOMETHING was up at Christie but there was an audible gasp when I said "10km". And then, when I unfurled the giant topo map... applause!
    10k is amazing! congrats!!

All my faucets is Moen.
    ...there was an audible gasp when I said "10km". And then, when I unfurled the giant topo map... applause!
    You're quite the showman.
    Congrats on the giant step forward.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    You're quite the showman.
    I like to think of myself as zazzy. I will however refrain from posting a Big Bang Theory clip on the grounds that I will inevitably get the sound of Sheldon's voice stuck in my head.

mtbr member
    Mr. Monster has mad presentation skillz!!! The presentation was very well received and very entertaining!!

I'll be dusting off and polishing up the trail building tools in anticipation!!

bi-winning
    You know what? I've never actually gone inside the boundaries of Christie Lake. It looks like that might change. :-)

Oh, and congratulations.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Anyone who's done the Dundas Monstercross will remember Christie as the place with the dam. Somewhere, there's a video of nspace riding the half-pipe on his Steelwool.

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

Great news

Could not make the Pub Night, Let me know how we at GORBA can help and when the trail cutting dates are.
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMTBER
    Could not make the Pub Night, Let me know how we at GORBA can help and when the trail cutting dates are.
    I'd be remiss if I didn't also acknowledge GORBA's great support as we got off the ground. Super bunch of guys and gals that never hesitate to pitch in!

Lemmy Rules!
    Outstanding! Great news! Where do I sign up for the work detail?
    Strava made me do it....

Up, Up, and Away!
    So cool.

mtbr member
    Dundas Monstercross is going to OUT OF CONTROL if we link these new trails into it.

Nice work guys, the plan looks great!

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Congrats! That is awesome news! Will have to go out that way and check out those trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great to meet some of you folks today! Definitely some good trail potential in there (quality AND quantity)... Keep me in the loop as to what I can do to help!

JD

Evil Jr.
    Given the short notice I gave everyone on the Christie walk, turn-out was fantastic (as were the capuccino and croissants!)!

In all, we were out and about in the woods of the South Shore for four hours and according to Phil's GPS, we logged over 8km of bush whacking! We even "missed" significant chunks of forest in the mid-section (just as well since we were all getting fairly done-in!).

Prior to yesterday, I had the merest inkling of just how amazing the terrain in Christie would be and it was really cool to see everyone's faces light up as we started tromping through the pines. We were running around in there like kids on Xmas morning!

For anyone that didn't have a chance to join us yesterday, I encourage you to visit Christie when you get a chance to get a feel for all the work that lies ahead. This is going to be one seriously fun undertaking.

Mrs. Monster and I will probably be back there Sunday morning (recovering from Women's Weekend at Joyride) to map out the existing double-track via GPS on skis. Drop me a line if anyone wants to hook up for a guided visit!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast