Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Evil Jr.
    So, today marks the official start of new loop! Very exciting stuff!

It was nice to just take it easy and move at a mellow pace. We have all fall and winter to build this one.

Oh look, an eager helper!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Evil Jr.
    Wow, looks like gnomes were busy while I was out at the cenotaph today. Nice work guys!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Evil Jr.
    Absolutely perfect day for building today and great turn-out to boot!

I know I keep saying this but this new trail is going to be super-sweet! It has great bones.

In fact, it's so well laid out, the berms practically fall out on their own!

As I was walking out today, there was a big group ride running through the woods. All the smiles made me very happy.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Absolutely perfect day for building today and great turn-out to boot!

I know I keep saying this but this new trail is going to be super-sweet! It has great bones.

In fact, it's so well laid out, the berms practically fall out on their own!

As I was walking out today, there was a big group ride running through the woods. All the smiles made me very happy.
    This is starting to look really good.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Evil Jr.
    Finally got out to ride Christie for the first time since, like, August (). It's turning out great!

You can make a continuous loop that goes Green/Blue/Black/Blue/Green if you start from the parking lot and choose to make either all right turns or all left turns. The Blue/Green round-about means you can really mix things up too!

Here's a crappy pic from a beautiful day!

Evil Jr.
    SNOW!

It was a nippy one out there this morning and the chilly air provided all the incentive we needed to move with alacrity.

We're taking a decidedly different approach with this trail. Our aim is to incorporate as many "flow" elements as possible. If it works, you should be able to pump and jive your way around all 2km.

However, this introduces a whole new level of labour. If you want to build these things, you need dirt - lots of it.

Digging a shallow grave...

Here's where all that dirt went:

Yup, some sweet rollers!

Some more dirt ended up over here:

We're experimenting with new ideas in drainage here. Should be very interesting if it does work out. There will be a lot more berms like it so we're hoping for the best.

The snow made picture taking relatively easy. It can often be tricky to get enough contrast between the different shades of brown and brown. Not today!

(Insert giant berm here. )

Evil Jr.
    Roller video!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm.. me like berms.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Evil Jr.
    Rain. Meh.

Oh well, I decided to spend some quality time - just me and the woods!

Inspected the new berms to see how our drainage concepts were working - not too shabby!

Also checked out the roller nursery to see how the little rollers were coming along. Give them a couple weeks and these guys will be nearly adults!

After all that, it was time to hike out to the far reaches of the woods and start thinking about the huge big Black loop we'll be laying out this winter. Not a whole lotta people make it out to this part of the CA but we're about to change that.

Old fence is old!

I found all sorts of interesting stuff while I was bushwhacking.

Check out this mushroom - it was HUGE, even bigger than my head!

Rock garden!

Fresca anyone?

Also found this carcass. Too small to be a deer, it had cloven hooves and black fur. A goat, maybe? I'd say it's been dead about 2 weeks judging by what was left.

I also found a deer blind near this spot, which is just mind-boggling. Not only is it illegal, it's completely stupid.

Anyhow, here's some more pretty pictures of the landscape. It's just brimming with possibilities!

Evil Jr.
    I was suffering a bit from a flu and it was bitterly cold out but that didn't stop everyone else. While I was pretty much dragging my butt around, people busied themselves building berms everywhere I turned!

Berm #1

Berm #2

Berm #3

Berm #4

Evil Jr.
    Another new vid!

mtbr member
    It looks like a LOT of TLC has been put into it! Very nice!

Evil Jr.
    Here are some pics from last Friday, during our second big snow storm of the week. We've been out snowshoeing four times in the last five days and the trails are seeing tons of winter traffic!

mtbr member
    How are the trails. We had a 5 person snowbike ride yesterday in Brantford and there was talk of getting a group of fatties together to try and get some trail packed at Christe.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    How are the trails. We had a 5 person snowbike ride yesterday in Brantford and there was talk of getting a group of fatties together to try and get some trail packed at Christe.
    I think the green trail (the one closest to the parking lot) will be fine on fatbikes. It's getting pretty nicely packed down. I think the grades on the blue and black might be a bit much but I'm not sure how well those bikes climb.

I think everything is still pretty unrideable on a regular bike.

mtbr member
    I think the green trail (the one closest to the parking lot) will be fine on fatbikes. It's getting pretty nicely packed down. I think the grades on the blue and black might be a bit much but I'm not sure how well those bikes climb.

I think everything is still pretty unrideable on a regular bike.
    Might go do some laps one night this week.

The climbing depends on the snow conditions and depth. But, at 5 psi -ish, if the snow will pack under your tire a little (so with this temp maybe not), you can climb virtually anything your legs can push the 37 lb beast up. I climbed the switch backs on the main loop in Dundas only 24 hours after the big snow! The only grade in Chritie I would really worry about is the black loop, the two entrances to the south side.

Regardless, it will be fun to test out.

Evil Jr.
    Looks like someone's been out on his fat bike! Nice!

BTW, the snowshoeing is primo out there!

mtbr member
    Looks like someone's been out on his fat bike! Nice!

BTW, the snowshoeing is primo out there!
    Twas an MTBR trio of Unglued, BigHustler and myself. Followed by tasty pints at Domestique. Not a bad way to spend a Friday night under the lights.

Lemmy Rules!
    Twas an MTBR trio of Unglued, BigHustler and myself. Followed by tasty pints at Domestique. Not a bad way to spend a Friday night under the lights.
    Thanks again to Cpt Sydor for the loan of the fatbike. I maybe hooked. Anyone wanna buy a slightly used black Misfit AL with full White Industries gear and WTB laserdiscs? It's my current winter bike but does not hold a candle to a Fatbike in the snow...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Thanks again to Cpt Sydor for the loan of the fatbike. I maybe hooked. Anyone wanna buy a slightly used black Misfit AL with full White Industries gear and WTB laserdiscs? It's my current winter bike but does not hold a candle to a Fatbike in the snow...
    4 of us, 3.5 hours of fun in Hydrocut this morning. Who in their right mind would ride a trainer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    4 of us, 3.5 hours of fun in Hydrocut this morning. Who in their right mind would ride a trainer?
    What's hydrocut like these days? Is it packed down snow?

Evil Jr.
    Got out to Christie on Sunday to visit and chat with the Superintendent about the best spot to put the pump track. He suggested a gorgeous wedge of land right beside the lake, just by a great little picnic spot. Needless to say, I'm stoked!

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1351.jpg
    Last edited by garage monster; 02-19-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo!

Evil Jr.
    Wow, there's still about 8" of snow out in the woods up at the lake. Never the less, we tramped around checking out some new options for this Summer's building.

Mushroom shot:

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1378.jpg

In other news, MEC Burlington BikeFest will be at Christie Lake this year on Saturday June, 8th. We'll be hosting a morning filled with trail building and some afternoon rides. Stay tuned for more details!

Evil Jr.
    Dead tree is dead.

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1390.jpg

Dead tree is gone.

Name:  DSCF1391.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  71.8 KB

Did a bunch of clearing today. As you can see, there's still a healthy dose of ice and snow out in the woods. I'd say we're still two to three weeks out. Might be May before we get down to digging again!

Evil Jr.
    Well, if there's one good thing to come from the lousy week we just endured, it would be that all the ice and snow have been banished from the woods.

The wind, rain and general Armageddon we had this week had one really unexpected benefit: a gorgeous carpet of fresh pine needles made everything on the Black loop look fairly surreal ()

POW!

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1399.jpg

BAM!

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1400.jpg

Oh ya, and there was some windfall.

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1401.jpg

Dispatched in no time with several saws.

Pinecones and Perseverance: The Official Hamilton Trail Building Thread-dscf1402.jpg

Next Sunday, we're gonna have a big ole' rakin' party. Fan rakes will be most welcome!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast