dirt roadie

Pictures from the ride today around Decew...

Had a fun ride today with my brother (Ty) around Brock U and Decew. It was actually a bit chillier than I thought it would be, and the bike shorts and Kona jersey are not warm at all. Nothing intense as the trails were crazy busy with exam-traumatized university students relaxing in the outdoors. And several were experiencing nature by rolling it up and smoking it.

I'll post this in the form of a photo blog, and since there are lots of pictures, please click the thumbnails for a larger image. Also please excuse the low-quality images as I didn't feel like hauling around my D-SLR.

We started out at the Glenridge Quarry Revitalization site (aka the big pile of dirt with garbage underneath), and went behind Brock U. Check out my sexy legs It's amazing how fast the trails have dried up, as expressed by Ty they are A-OK!
    (For rkj__ and [CrazyRick_11], you know that rocky incline above Hydro Hill you tried to make me climb last year? I made it up that bugger - slowly, but I did it!!!)

We then headed over to the hydroelectric dam, where Ty got a punctured tube. Time to head over to Liberty! for a new one, and check out [CrazyRick_11]'s built up Sette Reken frame. Sweet bike, but there's still no way you did 30km in a half hour
    So, with the new tube installed (additional note: some guy pulled into the parking lot blasting disco music, and promptly lit up a joint right in front of us...more on this later), we took the trails over to the reservoir, and out to Decew Falls.

Reversing back from Decew towards the reservoir, the rocky incline that I wasn't able to make it up during the Squeezer last year is now easily rideable (maybe there are less rocks or something?), and I made Ty ride it as well. He made it, as you can see by his satisfied expression.

We made our way back around the reservoir and the shaky singletrack behind Decew House, and then stopped to mess around on the back stairs of the House.

Then finally back behind Brock, and a final climb up the garbage hill to take some pictures at the top. You can't tell, but the wind was cold and I was pretty much freezing my arse off up there. Set the camera on self-timer, and snapped a shot of both of us. I love that picture because for some reason it makes me look much bigger and more badass than I actually am. Those who know me will know how much the photo is stretching the truth.

Oh yeah, that guy I told you about earlier who was having a good time in the parking lot, when we came back at least an hour later, and he was still there, blasting AC/DC now, still smoking a fatty, and still had his car running. I was very surprised at his behaviour, as several kids were playing nearby, and for all I know, he was probably sitting there for another hour after we left.

Whoops, I posted a lot of pictures...but that's it, that's all. See you on the trails

bi-winning

I like it when the members post pictures from their rides on de forum for me 2 look @

Quote Originally Posted by zedfoto
    (For rkj__ and [CrazyRick_11], you know that rocky incline above Hydro Hill you tried to make me climb last year? I made it up that bugger - slowly, but I did it!!!)
    Good job. You've come a long way from where you started a year ago.

You definitely look like a pro too - which is the part that really matters right, poseur

It sounds like you had a fun ride. Probably more fun than my 35minutes on the road bike today...

Sweet bike, but there's still no way you did 30km in a half hour
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    You definitely look like a pro too - which is the part that really matters right, poseur
    Of course!! It's all about the clothing co-ordinating with the equipment perfectly. When you look this good, going fast is secondary. Now I need a jersey to match my 'cross bike

bi-winning
    Of course!! It's all about the clothing co-ordinating with the equipment perfectly. When you look this good, going fast is secondary. Now I need a jersey to match my 'cross bike
    Yeah, and if you go too fast, the pictures (with a point and shoot) get blurry
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Looking good is all that counts.

Riding yesterday I had on my Team Discovery jersey and with everything else I was wearing and my bike, I would say I looked 'semi-professional'.

On occasion one, I was stopped on the trail by a older gentlemen, of the country variety. We were exchanging pleasantries, when he asked if I did 'those races'. As I've raced a couple times here and there, for simplicity I responded 'yes'. His next comment was, yeah, I watched those 'races' downtown a few years back (he was referring to the world championship). At this point I had to respectfully decline that I was not involved in 'that race'.

On occasion two. I slowly passed a family on the trail. The young daughter (maybe 10) starting to loudly exclaim to entire family that I rode for a team as I approached. 'he rides for a team, he rides for a team...' once I passed, even louder 'he rides for Team Discovery, the TV channel'. There were other comments made after, but at this point I was gone and couldn't make them out. Seeing as I couldn't correct the young girl at this point, I decided to take a nice tumble down a steep hill just past the family. Over the handle bars, bike stayed, I landed, rolled, managed to my feet, which because of the hill still caused me no choice but to run frantically and out of control for another 20 m. I think I cleared up any misconceptions at that point..

dirt roadie
    ^^ ...nice. That made me laugh. You, sir, get the true poseur seal of approval

Nice day for a ride.....
    Nice pics! Seems like everyone is gettin out there now, the season has began!
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike