mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Pickering group Ice ride, Sunday

My local trails are in a really interesting, icy state right now and I'd like to invite anyone with studs and some time to join me for a ride Sunday around noon.

A couple of climbs are like frozen waterfalls, climbable with studs, but not much margin for error. There's a few areas littered with 4" thick ice slabs. I've cleaned a couple, come close on the rest. There's frozen lumpy mushroom caps in areas of seeping groundwater. The rest of the trail is mostly packed down, melted, refrozen ice with a little snow on top or hard grund exposed and a few smooth flat frozen puddles.

Overall, very unusual conditions, and loads of fun.

I figure 18-30km depending what we do, how many times we loop around certain areas, say 2-3 hours.

Anyone interested?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dang. I am interested but already booked for Sunday. I have never ridden Pickering.
    (I am actually in Pickering on Thursday for work, but infortunately no time for riding.)

sheep in FOX clothing
    Prognosis does not look promising.

Current status: torn left LCL (fell carrying the bike over a culvert), torn right deltoid (snowboarding crash), and small but painful frost blisters on both feet (work boots that suck). Oh, and I've had a raging flu for a week (kids).

This has been the longest time I've been off the bike in 10 years. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pop some more meds.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Prognosis does not look promising.

Current status: torn left LCL (fell carrying the bike over a culvert), torn right deltoid (snowboarding crash), and small but painful frost blisters on both feet (work boots that suck). Oh, and I've had a raging flu for a week (kids).

This has been the longest time I've been off the bike in 10 years. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pop some more meds.
    dammit man, that sounds horrible. but since it didn't kill you - i assume you are going to come back stronger? no?

best wishes for quick recovery...
    Signature

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    dammit man, that sounds horrible. but since it didn't kill you - i assume you are going to come back stronger? no?

best wishes for quick recovery...
    Sort of. Back in the saddle this week anyways, I made the call that the 15-day disabled list was enough. Once the flu disappeared a fair amount of the knee pain went with it. The joint still feels stiff, but no issues spinning the pedals. And apparently I don't really need that arm to ride.

Getting on and off the bike sucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Use mostly your good leg. You'll still be faster than most of us