nimble biker

pay GST & PST on US products across the bordr?

Do Canadians have to pay for GST & PST from US online retailers?

Riding or Fishing
    They can't charge you PST because you didn't buy it in your province.
    I haven't heard of anyone being charged GST for that matter either.
    What you need to watch out for is duty, and depending on who you buy from, and how it's shipped, brokerage fee's. Couriers can totally rape international customers with additional fee's.
    As for duty, I don't think you can be charged duty if whats being shipped is bike parts. Make sure the seller marks the green customs card properly.

mtbr member
    For my last shippment from the US, I was told that brokerage fees are included and that turned out to be correct. But I was charged for both GST and PST. The whole thing was around $200, so I was too lazy to claim anything back.

It seems to be a complete crap shoot as to what is going to happen, because in the past I received things with no GST or PST charge, as well as only PST charge. Go figure.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Depending on the online e-tailer, they may, or may not charge you GST and PST when you make your purchase. The reason why they collect the taxes when you make your purchase is so there is no suprise when you get the package to your door. They submit the taxes on your behalf to the gov't so that you don't have to. Example would be Jenson, they'll charge you their shipping rate in addition to GST and PST. They aren't ripping you off, just making sure you get your packages easier/quicker. You won't need to pay the taxes to the delivery agent when they get to your door, since you've already paid them.

Some e-tailers will not charge you GST and PST...so hence you see the crap shoot on whether there will be additional charges to you for purchases made outisde of Canada. Sometimes your package will go through unscathed, and sometimes you'll have to pay the postman for the taxes on the declared value of your shipment. You GENERALLY will not get charged any duty or import fees (from the gov't, the shipper is another kettle of fish) but you WILL get charged Canadian and Provincial taxes for articles bought outside of the country (nice eh?)

Keep in mind as well that the Ontario Gov't has waived taxes on some bike products (safety gear, bikes under $1000) but you will usually still get charged the tax by the shipper. You'll have to go back to the gov't to get reimbursed for taxes paid.

It isn't really as complicated as many make it out to be, but be careful as there is a lot of mis-information out there on the internet.

Good luck,

Tim