mtbr member

Paul's Dirty Enduro

Paul's Dirty Enduro is bike race/ride with pledges going to the Canadian Mental Health Association. It takes place at the Ganaraska Forest on September 19th. Check it out at
    http://www.torontocyclist.com/bbc/pauls/index.html

All my faucets is Moen.
    This is one of the coolest events on the calender. Did it for the first time last year and I've been waiting for it to come around again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I agree with you on that one. Last yr was my first yr too and can't wait for this yr. The only problem with that is we are rushing the summer away.(not like we have had one) Last yr the weather was perfect for 30Km race. Looking forward to this yrs event.

mtbr member
    I'm pumped about the race too. I'm doing the 30km event not as hard as the 100km event but hard enough. It's a ride for a great cause.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing the 60km ride. We are concerned about the poison ivy. How bad is the ivy there? What are the chances of getting it?

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by randyn
    A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing the 60km ride. We are concerned about the poison ivy. How bad is the ivy there? What are the chances of getting it?
    Lots of ivy this year, however I ride there all the time and have only had it twice, just a few spots on my leg. Bring soap and water to clean up right after riding and you should be ok. If you crash and land in the ivy it's a different story....

All my faucets is Moen.
    The PI is bad in Ganaraska, however, for Paul's Dirty they trim it back and provide bucket, hoses, and soap to wash off with after the race.

Unless you've had serious problems with PI in the past I wouldn't be concerned.

All my faucets is Moen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm doing Paul's in a couple of weeks. I've never ridden there. What's the tire of choice for the area? I need new tires anyway, any sugestions?

All my faucets is Moen.
    Its sandy like Mansfield or Albion. Not a groomed but similar soil types. I used Conti Speed Kings there earlier this year and they were perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm comming from Quebec so I've never ridden those 2 places either. Right now I have a choice of Conti Explorer or Kenda Klimax Lite. How loose is the sand? Is it rooty/rocky?

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'd say go with the Explorer because its a wider/higher volume tire. The sand is very loose in some places and really kills the legs. Its actually better if it rains the day before as mud will never be a factor. There are roots to deal with and two or three climbs with loose rocks but don't be overly concerned about them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Next question. Which bike, Ellsworth Truth or Vertex Team RSL?

mtbr member
    Next question. Which bike, Ellsworth Truth or Vertex Team RSL?
    rocky.

mtbr Decade+

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    rocky.

Nothing to see here
    Last edited by Biggie; 09-20-2009 at 06:45 PM.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Bring the dullie if you're doing 100k. If your riding a shorter distance go with the HT.

Look at me answer these questions as if I know what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So you're saying I can get away with a hardtail?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm, the mistress or the concubine? Decisions decisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Ganaraska his basically a bit of dirt piled on lots and lots of sand.
    Very hilly, and enjoyable.

It's also perfect conditions for poison ivy. If you've had it at all, you're likely to get it here again.

I had to stop riding the back trails because I aways came out with spots on my legs, even after washing right after the ride. I suspect it's from grass/ sticks / dirt contaminated with the oil getting flung up (We were riding the stuff that on one ever rides...)

I did ride the main trails with no issues, so providing you stay on the trails you'll probably be ok.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    A week ad a half out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    A week ad a half out.

YES it is...time to start the hype.

I'm looking to better my performance of the last two years, regardless of who else shows up or how they do. The forum should have the same goal.

The 2008 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro 2008 55 posts 2235 views

The 2007 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro Thread 41 posts 1700 views

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    YES it is...time to start the hype.

I'm looking to better my performance of the last two years, regardless of who else shows up or how they do. The forum should have the same goal.

The 2008 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro 2008 55 posts 2235 views

The 2007 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro Thread 41 posts 1700 views
    Hmm, decisions decisions.....

29er or 26er?
    Lightness or burly and finish?
    Dry wall nails or poison ivy mist?
    Beefy tires and flimsy tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had a great time, my race was not as planned but the atmosphere was great. Plus they had the best music going at 7:30 am of any event I've been to. Nothing like Cypruss Hill to wake you up.

I'll be back next year for sure with a different bike. read my speal below to know why.

Matt 24 solo

60 or 100?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll be there in less than 3 hours with a small but avid group of teenagers who plan to dominate the 15 km distance next week.

C'mon people, I can't do all they hype myself.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    OK, now the most important question.

Location of the closest Tim's on the way in?

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The closest tims would be in Newcastle.

All my faucets is Moen.
    mmmm...Newcastle

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by icy
    The closest tims would be in Newcastle.
    Yes, it is a long way from the closest "Tim's", but since I get my coffee black, it's still hot by the time I get there.

I was there Friday afternnon and again Saturday morning with my high school team pre-riding the 15 km and part of the 30 km. From my observations from these rides and a 60 km preview last week...

Singletrack: Perfect
    Doubletrack: OK, pretty sandy in some areas
    Forest Roads: Ridiculously sandy

The 15 km course is completely marked in blue ribbon, with the others to follow later in the week.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to Pauls. I did the 30km ride last year and am signed up for the 60km this year. I'm used to really long road bike rides, but the 60km should be a real challenge for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmmmm the 60kms or the 100kms, or get happily drunk Friday night and watch the new X-Men Wolverine movie, sleep in late Saturday morning. Tough choice.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Hmmmm .... get happily drunk Friday night and watch the new X-Men Wolverine movie, sleep in late Saturday morning
    and do the 30

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmmmm the 60kms or the 100kms, or get happily drunk Friday night and watch the new X-Men Wolverine movie, sleep in late Saturday morning. Tough choice.
    Isn't the 60k start at 11? Plenty of time to get someone to chauffer one to the race.

Oh, and hang overs are not an excuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'd still have to leave at 7:30 to make the 11am start. I've wanted to do the 100kms for a few years now but then I'd have to arrange for a dogsitter. Pain in the a$$. Most likely will do the 60kms. It's gonna hurt, getting my butt kicked, that is.

Since when are hangovers not an excuse? I just got my wine club delivery in the mail this morning. What a nice way to wake up!!

Now just to make this little jaunt worthwhile for the rest of my family, can anyone tell me where the dirt bike trails are in relation to the race course?

I guess I had better start digging out my knee socks or my thigh highs! I've fallen prey too the dreaded Ganaraska PI many a times.

Saturday does look like a gorgeous day to get some saddle time in before the snow flys.
    Last edited by racergurl; 09-17-2009 at 06:24 AM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd still have to leave at 7:30 to make the 11am start. I've wanted to do the 100kms for a few years now but then I'd have to arrange for a dogsitter. Pain in the a$$. Most likely will do the 60kms. It's gonna hurt, getting my butt kicked, that is..
    I'll tell my wife that her competition is in.

Since when are hangovers not an excuse? I just got my wine club delivery in the mail this morning. What a nice way to wake up!!.
    I'll also tell her that she can seriously underestimate you as you've been drinking more than riding.

Now just to make this little jaunt worthwhile for the rest of my family, can anyone tell me where the dirt bike trails are in relation to the race course? .
    They are the race course (at least the west half of the 100). Of course, they might be able to go in there after about 12:00, when the 100 km racers are finished in there. There's also some about 10 km to the East (the "East Ganaraska" in fact). But there is also a 15 km race and a kid's race depending on their willingness and ability. Maybe your kids can meet my kids and give my babysitter a bit of a break!

I guess I had better start digging out my knee socks or my thigh highs! I've fallen prey too the dreaded Ganaraska PI many a times..
    They have done a good job cutting it back, but yes it's bad this year.

Saturday does look like a gorgeous day to get some saddle time in before the snow flys.
    Yes it does. See you there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh crap. That's not good news about the dirt biking. That played a key role in my getting everyone hyped up about hauling their butts out of bed Saturday morning. I think I'll keep that bit of info to myself!

Yes, your wife has nothing to fear from the likes of me. My training went out the window weeks ago. I've done more trail running then biking lately. Tell her she can take her time and enjoy the scenery. She has nothing to worry about, or does she? Muhhahahaha.

And yes, I have been drinking way more this summer but they do say that red wine is good for your heart.

For sure we'll introduce the kids. Then my husband can have a break too.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh crap. That's not good news about the dirt biking. That played a key role in my getting everyone hyped up about hauling their butts out of bed Saturday morning. I think I'll keep that bit of info to myself! .
    The West Forest is very big and they probably don't use a very big percentage of the trails. I don't believe it is "closed" to other use on race day either. My suggestion would be to get the West Forest map (available for $5 at the gate) and the course map, and have your dirt bikers find some trails that aren't in the race. Either that or find the West Forest checkpoint and follow the course a good hour after the last 100 km riders have passed that point (which would probably be about 10:00). Kind of an unofficial Sweep.

Yes, your wife has nothing to fear from the likes of me. My training went out the window weeks ago. I've done more trail running then biking lately. Tell her she can take her time and enjoy the scenery. She has nothing to worry about, or does she? Muhhahahaha.
    Hmmm. Mind games.

And yes, I have been drinking way more this summer but they do say that red wine is good for your heart. .
    As is black coffee, Tim's Starbucks, Kicking Horse, Green Mountain,Second Cup, even McDonalds...oh wrong thread

For sure we'll introduce the kids. Then my husband can have a break too.
    Mine would be hard to miss. They'll make their precense known. Two boys, 8 and 5, and a 2 and-a-half year old girl.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Kids? Nope, leaving my daughter with Granny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not done rolling coins yet, but I think I've raised about $400 for the Canadian and Mental Health Association again this year (most of that from high school students donating change). I'm hoping that works out to about $2.00/minute

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So you're saying I can get away with a hardtail?
    Real riders race hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All registered and ready to go for tomorrow. Well not really ready but looking forward to the 30 Km race. Good luck to all that are in the 100 km and the 60 km since you will be gone before I arrive. It should eb a great day.

bi-winning
    Real riders race hardtail.
    Reality is overrated.

To all those racing tomorrow, have fun, and stay safe.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Reality is overrated.
    And alcohol is under rated.

mtbr member
    Awsome day at Paul's. I did the 30km and had a blast. My first Paul's and definitly not my last. Finished @ 2:16:XX. Pretty happy with that considering I am a 43yr old Clyde.
    See what i can do next year. Hope everyone's race went well!
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Did the 60km. Good ride as I sit here with ice strapped to my knees. Second time this year my knees acted up like this.

mtbr member
    I had an awesome time riding Paul's Dirty Enduro. It was a great course and great organizers. I can hardly wait till next year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had a great race too. I had a great 57 km ride, and an okay 3 km trail run/ride after a big stick jumped up and whacked off my derailleur hanger with the accuracy of a Ninja. Luckily that last stretch is mostly downhill, although nothing quite makes you notice the subtle changes in terrain like not being able to take a single pedal stroke.

Luckily the two guys who passed me at the end of the final singletrack (the finish straight and u-turn) haven't turned 40 yet, so I won. Finally!

Two of my students finished 1,2 in the 15 km race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice to meet you dumbopinion, even if you did give my wife a flat tire (not really sure how that happened, but that's kind of how I heard it). Good to see someone coming all the way from the St. Catharines area to race up this way.

Hey, what the heck, we'll return the favour. Got anything OCA sanctioned next Sunday down your way with a party atmosphere, the TDF devil and two climbs of the escarpment on the road, yet still a mountain bike race?

Racergurl,,,nice job, 60 or 100, 60 or 100, too much wine, can't decide, may skip it entirely...whole family gets up at 4:00 and you do the 100! And podium too! Nice to meet you too. Very supportive family!

ToneyRiver, Enduramil, Kirbster, others...hey I probably saw you too, but don't know who you are. Glad to see others who think this is one of the best races around.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Nice to meet you dumbopinion, even if you did give my wife a flat tire (not really sure how that happened, but that's kind of how I heard it). Good to see someone coming all the way from the St. Catharines area to race up this way.

Hey, what the heck, we'll return the favour. Got anything OCA sanctioned next Sunday down your way with a party atmosphere, the TDF devil and two climbs of the escarpment on the road, yet still a mountain bike race?

Racergurl,,,nice job, 60 or 100, 60 or 100, too much wine, can't decide, may skip it entirely...whole family gets up at 4:00 and you do the 100! And podium too! Nice to meet you too. Very supportive family!

ToneyRiver, Enduramil, Kirbster, others...hey I probably saw you too, but don't know who you are. Glad to see others who think this is one of the best races around.
    I'm was easy to spot. The only guy riding a rasta coloured 29er. Though I'm planning to be back next year though only for the 30k distance.

All my faucets is Moen.

Now you make me feel guilty. I'm glad she was still able to get the win. Sorry Carmen.

If the marshal was being a marshal instead of taking pictures or they actually marked the turn, we wouldn't have missed the turn and she wouldn't have had to slam on her breaks. I'm just glad it was only a flat because my wheel smashed her derailleur pretty good.

I heard something about a race in town but I'll have to check the papers. Just remember I 'let' you win on your turf so you could also return the favor that way.

Congrats on the great result today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    Now you make me feel guilty. I'm glad she was still able to get the win. Sorry Carmen.
    She said theblame could be shared equally.
    If the marshal was being a marshal instead of taking pictures or they actually marked the turn, we wouldn't have missed the turn and she wouldn't have had to slam on her breaks.
    3 ways I guess

I'm just glad it was only a flat because my wheel smashed her derailleur pretty good.
    Deralleur issues were destined to be my problem yesterday.
    I heard something about a race in town but I'll have to check the papers. Just remember I 'let' you win on your turf so you could also return the favor that way.
    Sure thing, in fact I'll make sure I'm not even within 10 minutes of the winner, just to be sure.
    Congrats on the great result today.
    Thanks. Anyone who matched or bettered last year's time had a great result I think because of the sand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It was great to finally meet you and Carmen, Coach. Too cool that you both took the win in your categories! Your kids are gonna be a force to reckon with at the races someday!
    My other friends also placed 1st and 2nd so it was awesome having all my buddies up getting awards.

I'm happy with my 3rd. It was a damn tough race. That sand was brutal! I'm just glad I ride in the winter as it is similar to biking through snow. I did bail 3 or 4 times, right in the Poison Ivy, so we'll see if I get it or not. Soooo glad I had my knee socks and arm warmers on though!

The best racing weather of the year, in my opinion, even though my lips were blue at the start. The single track was just amazing, like being in heaven on a bike. If any one hasn't done this race, you don't know what you are missing out on!

My front shock seized up after the first 50kms so it was a hard ride on the upper body the last 50. My arms feel like I did a 1000 push ups yesterday. Pulled some sort of muscle behind my knee. Had to stop a couple of times to pull my map out of my spandex to see if I was going the right way once or twice. Got a bit confused coming through the start/finish area again as I was back on the 100km course and I didn't want to do that 40kms again! Yup, it was a tough day in the saddle.

As for my decision to do the 100kms, well, I'm kind of hooked on distance these days. My goal for this season was to not do a race under 100kms. I must say though that this 100kms felt pretty close to the same amount of suffering I did in the 100 miler this year.

Congrats to everyone who went out and gave it their all and to those who just went out to support a good cause or get a ride in with their friends.

A super sweet event that I will hopefully be back to next year. Thanks to those hard working folk who make this race possible.
    Race day registration for indecisive people like myself, 40 bucks for an unforgettable day in the saddle and a tasty meal when it was over. What more could a person ask for?
    We need more races like this!!!
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It was great to finally meet you and Carmen, Coach. Too cool that you both took the win in your categories! Your kids are gonna be a force to reckon with at the races someday!
    My other friends also placed 1st and 2nd so it was awesome having all my buddies up getting awards.

I'm happy with my 3rd. It was a damn tough race. That sand was brutal! I'm just glad I ride in the winter as it is similar to biking through snow. I did bail 3 or 4 times, right in the Poison Ivy, so we'll see if I get it or not. Soooo glad I had my knee socks and arm warmers on though!

The best racing weather of the year, in my opinion, even though my lips were blue at the start. The single track was just amazing, like being in heaven on a bike. If any one hasn't done this race, you don't know what you are missing out on!

My front shock seized up after the first 50kms so it was a hard ride on the upper body the last 50. My arms feel like I did a 1000 push ups yesterday. Pulled some sort of muscle behind my knee. Had to stop a couple of times to pull my map out of my spandex to see if I was going the right way once or twice. Got a bit confused coming through the start/finish area again as I was back on the 100km course and I didn't want to do that 40kms again! Yup, it was a tough day in the saddle.

As for my decision to do the 100kms, well, I'm kind of hooked on distance these days. My goal for this season was to not do a race under 100kms. I must say though that this 100kms felt pretty close to the same amount of suffering I did in the 100 miler this year.

Congrats to everyone who went out and gave it their all and to those who just went out to support a good cause or get a ride in with their friends.

A super sweet event that I will hopefully be back to next year. Thanks to those hard working folk who make this race possible.
    Race day registration for indecisive people like myself, 40 bucks for an unforgettable day in the saddle and a tasty meal when it was over. What more could a person ask for?
    We need more races like this!!!
    For anyone who missed it, see above

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Since I noticed so many lenses and camera clicks... anyone take pic's of the race.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This was the first time I missed this race in the last six years it's my favorite as the Ganaraska is our weekly Sunday morning ride. How was the turnout this year and are the results posted any where?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    want tough?
    try the 100 on a tandem

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by coxy
    want tough?
    try the 100 on a tandem
    That would require some serious practice. I've demoed a tandem (not off road), and it can be sketchy with inexperienced riders.
    Last edited by rkj__; 09-20-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

All my faucets is Moen.
    want tough?
    try the 100 on a tandem
    Was that you? Did you finish?

They were talking about you at the finish, everyone applauded and was rooting for you. Hope you made out okay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    we did finish. wow
    but we had special allowance at the cutoff point and were permitted to continue.
    finished the last few k walking in the dark.
    total of 12hrs on course.
    we would have been quite a bit faster without mechanicals

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Mechanicals?

Congratulations to you two on your finish and probably the first tandem team finish.......maybe you will have inspired some tandem competition for next year

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsy
    Congratulations to you two on your finish and probably the first tandem team finish.......maybe you will have inspired some tandem competition for next year
    that you Kevin?
    had 3 flats and a recurring problem with Fbrake. my fault for swapping front wheels from my single when I found a flat just at start time. also had a bushing issue cropup with our rear linkage that couldn't be fixed on the trail. still could ride but control was a little wonky.

if another tandem team signs up we would ride again.
    heck, we might even ride it again as the only tandem.

cheers
    Rob

mtbr member
    That was an awesome event. Thanks to anyone who volunteered, it was a blast and really well laid out on well marked trails, definitely coming back next year to do the 60k again.

Tandem?! Wow.

A site dedicated to helping beginners

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

All my faucets is Moen.
    King Ben on the front page?

Too bad they didn't have that turn marked, he would have lost by 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Over $16,000 raised. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!!
    High on Life

bi-winning

I hate to see somebody lose a race due to missing a turn. Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon story for endurance races.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

They did have it marked and marked quite well apparently. Unfortunately, all it takes is one person who doesn't like mountain bike racing to cause chaos and confusion.

They did make it very clear that Andrew Decal was leading by several minutes before missing the turn-off.

If you see him, you can apologize to him for me for misleading him. I also missed the turn, but it only cost me about 1:30 (largely because I knew the turn and had my doubts even as I was going by, but saw no sign) according to my Garmin. Because I hadn't seen anybody either ahead of me or behind me for quite some time, and I never lost sight of the turn I missed, I wrongly told both Andrew and Tim Carleton that I didn't think anyone had passed them and that there spots were "secure". In fact, I let them both ahead of me (Tim being the only one ahead of me in the 60 at that point). I didn't realize just how much time they had missed and that Ben had made the turn in the interim.

I'd hate to think that he rode the last 15-20 minutes thinking he was still winning thanks to my "faulty intelligence".

dumbopinion...less than 1 minute out of the top ten overall! Funny, that flat my wife had, she thinks she changed in 4-5 minutes. You beat her by 4:07. Looks like you two would have ridden the whole race together if it wasn't for that camera-happy marshall.

All my faucets is Moen.
    They did have it marked and marked quite well apparently. Unfortunately, all it takes is one person who doesn't like mountain bike racing to cause chaos and confusion.

They did make it very clear that Andrew Decal was leading by several minutes before missing the turn-off.

If you see him, you can apologize to him for me for misleading him. I also missed the turn, but it only cost me about 1:30 (largely because I knew the turn and had my doubts even as I was going by, but saw no sign) according to my Garmin. Because I hadn't seen anybody either ahead of me or behind me for quite some time, and I never lost sight of the turn I missed, I wrongly told both Andrew and Tim Carleton that I didn't think anyone had passed them and that there spots were "secure". In fact, I let them both ahead of me (Tim being the only one ahead of me in the 60 at that point). I didn't realize just how much time they had missed and that Ben had made the turn in the interim.

I'd hate to think that he rode the last 15-20 minutes thinking he was still winning thanks to my "faulty intelligence".

dumbopinion...less than 1 minute out of the top ten overall! Funny, that flat my wife had, she thinks she changed in 4-5 minutes. You beat her by 4:07. Looks like you two would have ridden the whole race together if it wasn't for that camera-happy marshall.
    Yeah unfortunately you can never really determine how much time is lost when the rider goes off course so there is no fair way to determine his 'actual' time. I told Andrew it was his fault for going the wrong way but he said "I didn't go the wrong way, the turn wasn't marked". I don't remember what happened when I went by because I was just following riders in front of me. Either they marked it or someone was there for the rest of the riders. Yes they did aknowledge it at the awards and in the end they did the right thing.

My goal for this race was top 10. I was thinking I could finish in 3.5 hrs and that would leave me close to top 10 if not in. By last years time that would put me somewhere near you wifes finish time. When I saw her at the start I was thinking I would ride with her for a bit but I passed her about 5k in. I took a wrong turn before the first feedstation, that's where she must have passed me.

When I saw her in front of me I got angry and thought 'no way can I lose to a girl'. Then I hatched a plan to flaten her tire and get away. That marshal was just an innocent pawn.

When I see you on Sunday I'll say hi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I thought the course was very well marked.
    you have to ride enduro events with a heads up awareness and make your own decisions.

what turn are you talking about that lacked marking?
    we had no chaos and confusion

All my faucets is Moen.
    what turn are you talking about that lacked marking?
    we had no chaos and confusion
    Right after the open, sandy/rocky, roller coaster road that has a few tough climbs you make a 90 degree left up a very steep rocky climb. At the top of that, you turn right back onto single track. I believe that right turn is the one, but could be wrong. Its just a few km from the base of 'neverending hill'.

The first few riders went straight and said the turn wasn't marked. Ben Dawson made the turn because he has ridden an won the event several times and knows the route. Ben told Andrew that he saw the turn was not marked and saw his tire marks go straight. Ben did the right thing, he couldn't chase him down to bring him back. He could only continue.

I pretty sure Andrew is over it and I just brought it up to be facetious.

Anyway both of them are member of this forum so they can come on here to comment, if they even care enough about it to do so.

And yeaaaa, woooo! over $16,000 raised. Next year lets get to 20.!
    Last edited by thedumbopinion; 09-21-2009 at 11:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Right after the open, sandy/rocky, roller coaster road that has a few tough climbs you make a 90 degree left up a very steep rocky climb. At the top of that, you turn right back onto single track. I believe that right turn is the one, but could be wrong. Its just a few km from the base of 'neverending hill'.

The first few riders went straight and said the turn wasn't marked. Ben Dawson made the turn because he has ridden an won the event several times and knows the route. Ben told Andrew that he saw the turn was not marked and saw his tire marks go straight. Ben did the right thing, he couldn't chase him down to bring him back. He could only continue.

I pretty sure Andrew is over it and I just brought it up to be facetious.

Anyway both of them are member of this forum so they can come on here to comment, if they even care enough about it to do so.

And yeaaaa, woooo! over $16,000 raised. Next year lets get to 20.!
    The turn was unmarked for probably 20-30 minutes due to malicious vandalism. They had it fixed by the time the riders after me came through.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm.... I can think of a couple of likely suspects.

mtbr member
    Since I noticed so many lenses and camera clicks... anyone take pic's of the race.
    I didn't get any, hopefully there'll be some on the paul's website soon!

Maybe next year I'll get a smaller camera that I could bring with me.

mtbr member

My first finish...

Finally I finished a 30K race...
    After two unsuccessful half marathon attempt I reached my goal for this season...
    That 15th place gives me motivation for the next season..
    One thing for sure ; I have to look after a lighter bike...
    My 31lbs Enduro felt really heavy at the last couple climbs...
    All in all : I got the "bug"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    Finally I finished a 30K race...
    After two unsuccessful half marathon attempt I reached my goal for this season...
    That 15th place gives me motivation for the next season..
    One thing for sure ; I have to look after a lighter bike...
    My 31lbs Enduro felt really heavy at the last couple climbs...
    All in all : I got the "bug"
    Light bike??? We should have a burly bike class.

I'm planning to do the 30 next year on the Mistress.

mtbr member
    Light bike??? We should have a burly bike class.

I'm planning to do the 30 next year on the Mistress.
    If they come up with that class I'm in!!!
    But as a second plan I'll work on a bit more Xc oriented ride...
    I could keep up with a great group of guys for a fairly long time , I even tried to escape but on the last 8K or so more than 6 rider passed me....
    One of them said to me : I told ya or something like that ...
    He promised me earlier : " I'll catch you later..." He did!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a ridiculously long race report in my possession. Should I...

a) Post it here in this thread
    b) Start a new thread for Paul's race reports
    c) Post it in installments
    d) Edit

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a ridiculously long race report in my possession. Should I...

a) Post it here in this thread
    b) Start a new thread for Paul's race reports
    c) Post it in installments
    d) Edit
    Post it all right now Coach. This job search thing I'm doing is soooo boring. I need to relive the race again!
    High on Life

mtbr member

60km race report

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Paul's Dirty Enduro 60 km race report

Post it all right now Coach. This job search thing I'm doing is soooo boring. I need to relive the race again!
    OK, you asked for it. Hope your EI benefits last long enough to read it.

Paul’s Dirty Enduro 2009 Race Report

PROLOGUE: Because I live 40 km from the Ganaraska and have the 60 km course saved to my Garmin, I had pre-ridden the 60 km course twice in the month before the race. My most recent pre-ride was in a time similar to my 2008 race time, so I was very pumped about the race. I loaded that pre-ride into my Garmin to “race” it, and also wrote down split times from several spots on the course to see how I was doing. As I said in a previous post, all I wanted to do was beat the previous year’s time by several minutes, figuring that if I did that, then my final placing depended more on who else showed up and how they did.

ACT 1: Too Much Too Old Too Fast

I lined up in the front row with the intention of going to the front for the first minute or two to avoid being in a crowd for that sketchy high-speed sandy turn as soon as you enter the forest. I was also employing the game plan of a friend and rival whose plan is to be close enough to the front to count how many are ahead of him. As it turns out, four of us went to the front and stayed there for several minutes before last year’s overall winner, Tim Carleton, passed us and we let him go gradually. We (by this time just Lapdog, Dave and myself) completed the “ start loop” in a ridiculously fast time that I knew was too fast (2 minutes ahead of 3:25 pace after just 5 km!).

I wanted to back off and trust that I would be better off riding my own race and hopefully catching them later, but I just couldn’t let them go. In fact, when I started to let Lapdog pull away, Dave, who was third wheel, told me to keep him in sight. Led by Lapdog mostly, we found ourselves at the bottom of Paul’s Fave in a blistering 1:22 (8 full minutes ahead of my pre-ride pace of 1:30). Lapdog slowly pulled away from both Dave and I on the climb after Paul’s (Chute and Shredder) and I let him go to finally start riding my own sustainable pace. I did slowly start to gap Dave at this point, so after almost half the race in a group of 3 that seemed to get on well and work together, we were on our own just like that.

ACT 2: According to Plan?

I caught Lapdog (Sandro) at the Holey land feedzone, by this time at least 10 minutes ahead of my pre-ride pace, and passed him as he re-filled water bottles (camelbak vs. bottles debate?). I tried to put in a semi-hard effort at this point to pull away without killing myself, and it worked, as I didn’t see him again. At this point I knew that I was second overall in the 60 km, and first in my age group, which was a very new experience for me at this race. I have been close before, but this was the first time I knew exactly where I stood. In the past, I’d not get an accurate count off the start, or I’d confuse 60 and 100 km riders out on the course, and I’d cross the line with no clue how I’d finished. At this point, I thought that I’d be able to avoid that sort of confusion this year.

I also knew that the effort of the first 1:45 was hurting all three of us (me because I could feel it, and the other two because I had gapped them). For the next hour I tried to ride hard enough to increase my lead (never know when you’ll get a flat or something and need a cushion) without starting my annual cramp-fest. During this time, I passed one 100 km rider, but saw nobody else. I could feel that cramps were a possibility though and I started gearing down on some of the tougher climbs, especially in the second section to the south of the 10th line. I entered this section 12 minutes ahead of pace, but as I rode it, I realized that the course I had pre-rode was about 5 minutes shorter in this section. I still had enough of a buffer of my pre-ride to come in at about 3:18 (or so I thought). I was feeling pretty confident.

ACT 3: Making it interesting

I re-emerged onto 10th line knowing that I was less than 20 minutes from the finish. All I had to do was make the right into Larch lake Loop, grind my way up Never Ending Hill, and then enjoy the fast final 3 km of Ditchpan Alley and Newton’s Theory. At this point I was wondering how far back I was of the overall leader, or if I’d encounter any other 100 km riders.

I was riding (or rather sand-surfing) along 10th line with my head down, when I got to what looked like the Larch Lake turn. I hesitated briefly, but since I saw no arrows, I continued. I was having pretty serious doubts though, so I slowed, looked back, looked ahead, looked back, and then looked up again and saw Tim Carleton and Andrew Decal coming back up the hill. Because I hadn't seen anybody either ahead of me or behind me for quite some time, and I never lost sight of the turn I missed, I wrongly told both Andrew and Tim that I didn't think anyone had passed them and that there spots were "secure". In Tim’s case I was right, but I didn't realize just how much time they had missed and that Ben Dawson had made the turn in the interim, taking the lead in the 100k from Andrew.

Missing the turn only cost me about 1:30 according to my Garmin, so I wasn’t too worried. I let Tim and Andrew go ahead and started down the Larch Lake descent. They pulled ahead by a bit on Never Ending Hill, but so what? They deserved it, and I needed to climb that hill without cramping.

ACT 4: Near Disaster

Anyone who has ever ridden “Paul’s” knows that the last 2.5-3 km are the best. Two (well sort of 4) fun fast sections of mostly downhill singletrack (Ditchpan Alley and Newton’s Theory) linked by not too long sections of rolling doubletrack, again mostly downhill, with a few climbs, but not so much as to cause concern. I entered Ditchpan Alley in good spirits, ready to push hard for 8 minutes, break 3:20 and enjoy my best ever result.

Less than a minute in, a 2-inch wide log jumped up and nailed my derailleur hanger and broke it off completely. Oh. Well, good thing I worked so hard to get that cushion. I wonder how much is left after the Larch Lake turn. Nothing to do now, but trail run/hop on and coast and hope for the best. My Garmin has a neat feature when you “do” a course. It tells you “distance to go”. Never have I looked at that so much as in the last 10 minutes of that race.

The 100 km rider I had passed an hour ago got me on the doubletrack with less than a km to go. I even passed some 15 km riders as I ran up short hills. On the last singletrack, there’s a section that is basically flat. As I was running that, I knew that I was maybe 10 seconds from being able to coast all the way to the finish U-turn. At that point I heard two more riders approach. I knew that I should let them by, but my competitive instincts took over. After all, it was just bad luck that they had caught me, and the downhill was starting any second. I kept them behind me until we exited the forest and did the short finish U-turn. They both passed me for 2nd and 3rd overall, and as every muscle in both legs finally cramped up as I was crossing the line, it was all I could do to ask both of them “HOW OLD ARE YOU?” To my relief, they were both under 40.

EPILOGUE:

Although recovery food/drink or a poison ivy wash would be a good idea, at this race the priority when finishing is to find the babysitter and the kids and make sure all is well. It was, although the kids were dirtier than I was. I was very pleased to find out that members of my team had finished 1/2 in the 15 km, both under 18 and overall! I tried to keep an eye out for finishers coming in after me watching for my wife but also others (such as Dave and Tim M., and also the Lapdog who ripped our legs off for the first half of the race). My wife came in about 5 minutes later than I had figured she would (her flat explains that), winning the 60km for the third time.

Sometime around 30 minutes after I finished, we found preliminary results that had me in second place in the 40 and over, by about 2 minutes. I was surprised, but not completely shocked, as the confusion of my 2.5 km trail run/coast and the missed turn had me thinking it was possible that he had gotten past me. As it turns out, he had missed a checkpoint or somehow shortened the course. I didn’t find that out until the awards when they called me up first instead of second. Nice surprise. And I picked the spin bike, which is already in the school weight room.

The best part of the day, however, was being approached by two relatives of Paul’s who had found out that I had been raising money ($490) by telling his story at my school, and wanted to thank me. No wait, the win was the best part, but that did feel good.
    Anybody, who hasn’t done this event...should. Even if you’re faster than me, because I finally have my win

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great race reports guys! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Nice to have some stories up that take more then 10 seconds to read.

Anyone got Poison Ivy yet?
    High on Life

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbster1966
    Awsome day at Paul's. I did the 30km and had a blast. My first Paul's and definitly not my last. Finished @ 2:16:XX. Pretty happy with that considering I am a 43yr old Clyde.
    See what i can do next year. Hope everyone's race went well!
    I think they need a Clyde Cat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Pics are up now!! And yes, I've got Poison Ivy.
    High on Life

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And yes, I've got Poison Ivy.
    What is this Poison Ivy you speak of?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Touch wood I have never had it and I have walked through it almost everytime I have been out at the Ganny. Lets hope the luck keeps up.

Kidding myself...
    Pics are up now!! And yes, I've got Poison Ivy.
    The pics are awesome!
    Yep the poison ivy was exceptionally lush this year. It was even worse in July for the Substance Projects Marathon. Several of us got a really nasty dose of it then. For Paul's I coated my legs with baby oil AND wore knee socks. I still got a mild case of it.
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anarawd
    The pics are awesome!
    Yeah, there's one of me pushing my bike across the finish line and I look like absolute hell.

My favourite is the one of my 2 1/2 year old getting a ride on a friend's shoulders (very last picture in the "fun hogs" section)

Still no poison ivy for me, and I did everything wrong (no knee socks, sunscreen, vaseline or post-race wash until I got home) mostly due to the demands of trying to race with three kids at the forest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8
    Touch wood I have never had it and I have walked through it almost everytime I have been out at the Ganny. Lets hope the luck keeps up.
    So unfair! Seems I just have to stand downwind from a Poison Ivy plant and I get it.
    High on Life

Kidding myself...
    So unfair! Seems I just have to stand downwind from a Poison Ivy plant and I get it.
    I feel your pain racergurl. It's just not fair! To those of us who react to it, poison ivy is evil. Our biking group got into some wild parsnip this summer. That stuff is nasty and I hear giant hogweed is starting to sprout up in SE ON and it's even worse. Soon we'll have to start riding in HazMat suits!
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What is this Poison Ivy you speak of?
    Smarty pants . Hope your knees are feeling better.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

race loops still marked?

does anyone know if any of the loops are still marked? Or do they take them down right after the race.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Think they came down last wednesday....
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

All my faucets is Moen.
    There may still be ribbons up but there is no guarantee that the entire course is marked so going out to follow it could be risky and get you lost.

I know that the 100km loop is considered an IMBA Epic Ride and they are trying to get it premenitly marked. I guess it just a matter of funding.

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbo_mac
    does anyone know if any of the loops are still marked? Or do they take them down right after the race.

Thanks
    The ribbons usually stay but the arrows will have been taken down by now. That's a mighty big forest! I wouldn't risk riding the Ganny alone without a GPS. Cell phone coverage, depending on your service provider, can be lousy in there too.

mtbr member
    All of the loops are the same year after year?
    The race was the 1st time when I rode the Ganaraska Forest and I really liked it!
    I could use a little knowledge at race day....
    All in all I loved the course...
    Next year if everything goes as I planned already I'll give a shot for the 60K...
    If......

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Smarty pants . Hope your knees are feeling better.
    I don't wear pamts.

Knees feel better. Going to torture them with some high speed dismounts and hurdling on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks everyone. Going to try to get a friends gps for the day. If I cant get ahold of one I am going to ride durham forest instead.
    Mac

Hardtail Freak
    I did the 30km this year and loved it! Looking forward to do the 60km next year.
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1
    2006 Santacruz VP-Free
    2000 Marin Indian Fire Trail
    Gone - 2001 Brodie Holeshot

Kidding myself...
    See ya next year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've never had a chance to ride at the G. Can anyone tell me how it compares to Haliburton Forest. I'm going to use that to determine my distance for my first PDE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's slightly hilly, sandy and loaded with poison ivy..
    Depending on which length you are doing, it has varying levels of sandyness.. All in all it's just a few sections and not too bad to ride.

Don't let the PI scare you away.. just stay on the trailll

Members who have read this thread: 0