Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Paul's Dirty Enduro

Paul's Dirty Enduro is bike race/ride with pledges going to the Canadian Mental Health Association. It takes place at the Ganaraska Forest on September 19th. Check it out at
    http://www.torontocyclist.com/bbc/pauls/index.html

All my faucets is Moen.
    This is one of the coolest events on the calender. Did it for the first time last year and I've been waiting for it to come around again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I agree with you on that one. Last yr was my first yr too and can't wait for this yr. The only problem with that is we are rushing the summer away.(not like we have had one) Last yr the weather was perfect for 30Km race. Looking forward to this yrs event.

mtbr member
    I'm pumped about the race too. I'm doing the 30km event not as hard as the 100km event but hard enough. It's a ride for a great cause.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing the 60km ride. We are concerned about the poison ivy. How bad is the ivy there? What are the chances of getting it?

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by randyn
    A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing the 60km ride. We are concerned about the poison ivy. How bad is the ivy there? What are the chances of getting it?
    Lots of ivy this year, however I ride there all the time and have only had it twice, just a few spots on my leg. Bring soap and water to clean up right after riding and you should be ok. If you crash and land in the ivy it's a different story....

All my faucets is Moen.
    The PI is bad in Ganaraska, however, for Paul's Dirty they trim it back and provide bucket, hoses, and soap to wash off with after the race.

Unless you've had serious problems with PI in the past I wouldn't be concerned.

All my faucets is Moen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm doing Paul's in a couple of weeks. I've never ridden there. What's the tire of choice for the area? I need new tires anyway, any sugestions?

All my faucets is Moen.
    Its sandy like Mansfield or Albion. Not a groomed but similar soil types. I used Conti Speed Kings there earlier this year and they were perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm comming from Quebec so I've never ridden those 2 places either. Right now I have a choice of Conti Explorer or Kenda Klimax Lite. How loose is the sand? Is it rooty/rocky?

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'd say go with the Explorer because its a wider/higher volume tire. The sand is very loose in some places and really kills the legs. Its actually better if it rains the day before as mud will never be a factor. There are roots to deal with and two or three climbs with loose rocks but don't be overly concerned about them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Next question. Which bike, Ellsworth Truth or Vertex Team RSL?

mtbr member
    Next question. Which bike, Ellsworth Truth or Vertex Team RSL?
    rocky.

mtbr Decade+

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    rocky.

Nothing to see here
    Last edited by Biggie; 09-20-2009 at 06:45 PM.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Bring the dullie if you're doing 100k. If your riding a shorter distance go with the HT.

Look at me answer these questions as if I know what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So you're saying I can get away with a hardtail?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm, the mistress or the concubine? Decisions decisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Ganaraska his basically a bit of dirt piled on lots and lots of sand.
    Very hilly, and enjoyable.

It's also perfect conditions for poison ivy. If you've had it at all, you're likely to get it here again.

I had to stop riding the back trails because I aways came out with spots on my legs, even after washing right after the ride. I suspect it's from grass/ sticks / dirt contaminated with the oil getting flung up (We were riding the stuff that on one ever rides...)

I did ride the main trails with no issues, so providing you stay on the trails you'll probably be ok.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    A week ad a half out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    A week ad a half out.

YES it is...time to start the hype.

I'm looking to better my performance of the last two years, regardless of who else shows up or how they do. The forum should have the same goal.

The 2008 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro 2008 55 posts 2235 views

The 2007 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro Thread 41 posts 1700 views

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    YES it is...time to start the hype.

I'm looking to better my performance of the last two years, regardless of who else shows up or how they do. The forum should have the same goal.

The 2008 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro 2008 55 posts 2235 views

The 2007 thread... Paul's Dirty Enduro Thread 41 posts 1700 views
    Hmm, decisions decisions.....

29er or 26er?
    Lightness or burly and finish?
    Dry wall nails or poison ivy mist?
    Beefy tires and flimsy tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had a great time, my race was not as planned but the atmosphere was great. Plus they had the best music going at 7:30 am of any event I've been to. Nothing like Cypruss Hill to wake you up.

I'll be back next year for sure with a different bike. read my speal below to know why.

Matt 24 solo

60 or 100?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll be there in less than 3 hours with a small but avid group of teenagers who plan to dominate the 15 km distance next week.

C'mon people, I can't do all they hype myself.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    OK, now the most important question.

Location of the closest Tim's on the way in?

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The closest tims would be in Newcastle.

All my faucets is Moen.
    mmmm...Newcastle

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by icy
    The closest tims would be in Newcastle.
    Yes, it is a long way from the closest "Tim's", but since I get my coffee black, it's still hot by the time I get there.

I was there Friday afternnon and again Saturday morning with my high school team pre-riding the 15 km and part of the 30 km. From my observations from these rides and a 60 km preview last week...

Singletrack: Perfect
    Doubletrack: OK, pretty sandy in some areas
    Forest Roads: Ridiculously sandy

The 15 km course is completely marked in blue ribbon, with the others to follow later in the week.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to Pauls. I did the 30km ride last year and am signed up for the 60km this year. I'm used to really long road bike rides, but the 60km should be a real challenge for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hmmmm the 60kms or the 100kms, or get happily drunk Friday night and watch the new X-Men Wolverine movie, sleep in late Saturday morning. Tough choice.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Hmmmm .... get happily drunk Friday night and watch the new X-Men Wolverine movie, sleep in late Saturday morning
    and do the 30

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmmmm the 60kms or the 100kms, or get happily drunk Friday night and watch the new X-Men Wolverine movie, sleep in late Saturday morning. Tough choice.
    Isn't the 60k start at 11? Plenty of time to get someone to chauffer one to the race.

Oh, and hang overs are not an excuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'd still have to leave at 7:30 to make the 11am start. I've wanted to do the 100kms for a few years now but then I'd have to arrange for a dogsitter. Pain in the a$$. Most likely will do the 60kms. It's gonna hurt, getting my butt kicked, that is.

Since when are hangovers not an excuse? I just got my wine club delivery in the mail this morning. What a nice way to wake up!!

Now just to make this little jaunt worthwhile for the rest of my family, can anyone tell me where the dirt bike trails are in relation to the race course?

I guess I had better start digging out my knee socks or my thigh highs! I've fallen prey too the dreaded Ganaraska PI many a times.

Saturday does look like a gorgeous day to get some saddle time in before the snow flys.
    Last edited by racergurl; 09-17-2009 at 06:24 AM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd still have to leave at 7:30 to make the 11am start. I've wanted to do the 100kms for a few years now but then I'd have to arrange for a dogsitter. Pain in the a$$. Most likely will do the 60kms. It's gonna hurt, getting my butt kicked, that is..
    I'll tell my wife that her competition is in.

Since when are hangovers not an excuse? I just got my wine club delivery in the mail this morning. What a nice way to wake up!!.
    I'll also tell her that she can seriously underestimate you as you've been drinking more than riding.

Now just to make this little jaunt worthwhile for the rest of my family, can anyone tell me where the dirt bike trails are in relation to the race course? .
    They are the race course (at least the west half of the 100). Of course, they might be able to go in there after about 12:00, when the 100 km racers are finished in there. There's also some about 10 km to the East (the "East Ganaraska" in fact). But there is also a 15 km race and a kid's race depending on their willingness and ability. Maybe your kids can meet my kids and give my babysitter a bit of a break!

I guess I had better start digging out my knee socks or my thigh highs! I've fallen prey too the dreaded Ganaraska PI many a times..
    They have done a good job cutting it back, but yes it's bad this year.

Saturday does look like a gorgeous day to get some saddle time in before the snow flys.
    Yes it does. See you there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh crap. That's not good news about the dirt biking. That played a key role in my getting everyone hyped up about hauling their butts out of bed Saturday morning. I think I'll keep that bit of info to myself!

Yes, your wife has nothing to fear from the likes of me. My training went out the window weeks ago. I've done more trail running then biking lately. Tell her she can take her time and enjoy the scenery. She has nothing to worry about, or does she? Muhhahahaha.

And yes, I have been drinking way more this summer but they do say that red wine is good for your heart.

For sure we'll introduce the kids. Then my husband can have a break too.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh crap. That's not good news about the dirt biking. That played a key role in my getting everyone hyped up about hauling their butts out of bed Saturday morning. I think I'll keep that bit of info to myself! .
    The West Forest is very big and they probably don't use a very big percentage of the trails. I don't believe it is "closed" to other use on race day either. My suggestion would be to get the West Forest map (available for $5 at the gate) and the course map, and have your dirt bikers find some trails that aren't in the race. Either that or find the West Forest checkpoint and follow the course a good hour after the last 100 km riders have passed that point (which would probably be about 10:00). Kind of an unofficial Sweep.

Yes, your wife has nothing to fear from the likes of me. My training went out the window weeks ago. I've done more trail running then biking lately. Tell her she can take her time and enjoy the scenery. She has nothing to worry about, or does she? Muhhahahaha.
    Hmmm. Mind games.

And yes, I have been drinking way more this summer but they do say that red wine is good for your heart. .
    As is black coffee, Tim's Starbucks, Kicking Horse, Green Mountain,Second Cup, even McDonalds...oh wrong thread

For sure we'll introduce the kids. Then my husband can have a break too.
    Mine would be hard to miss. They'll make their precense known. Two boys, 8 and 5, and a 2 and-a-half year old girl.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Kids? Nope, leaving my daughter with Granny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not done rolling coins yet, but I think I've raised about $400 for the Canadian and Mental Health Association again this year (most of that from high school students donating change). I'm hoping that works out to about $2.00/minute

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So you're saying I can get away with a hardtail?
    Real riders race hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All registered and ready to go for tomorrow. Well not really ready but looking forward to the 30 Km race. Good luck to all that are in the 100 km and the 60 km since you will be gone before I arrive. It should eb a great day.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Real riders race hardtail.
    Reality is overrated.

To all those racing tomorrow, have fun, and stay safe.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Reality is overrated.
    And alcohol is under rated.

mtbr member
    Awsome day at Paul's. I did the 30km and had a blast. My first Paul's and definitly not my last. Finished @ 2:16:XX. Pretty happy with that considering I am a 43yr old Clyde.
    See what i can do next year. Hope everyone's race went well!
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Did the 60km. Good ride as I sit here with ice strapped to my knees. Second time this year my knees acted up like this.

mtbr member
    I had an awesome time riding Paul's Dirty Enduro. It was a great course and great organizers. I can hardly wait till next year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had a great race too. I had a great 57 km ride, and an okay 3 km trail run/ride after a big stick jumped up and whacked off my derailleur hanger with the accuracy of a Ninja. Luckily that last stretch is mostly downhill, although nothing quite makes you notice the subtle changes in terrain like not being able to take a single pedal stroke.

Luckily the two guys who passed me at the end of the final singletrack (the finish straight and u-turn) haven't turned 40 yet, so I won. Finally!

Two of my students finished 1,2 in the 15 km race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice to meet you dumbopinion, even if you did give my wife a flat tire (not really sure how that happened, but that's kind of how I heard it). Good to see someone coming all the way from the St. Catharines area to race up this way.

Hey, what the heck, we'll return the favour. Got anything OCA sanctioned next Sunday down your way with a party atmosphere, the TDF devil and two climbs of the escarpment on the road, yet still a mountain bike race?

Racergurl,,,nice job, 60 or 100, 60 or 100, too much wine, can't decide, may skip it entirely...whole family gets up at 4:00 and you do the 100! And podium too! Nice to meet you too. Very supportive family!

ToneyRiver, Enduramil, Kirbster, others...hey I probably saw you too, but don't know who you are. Glad to see others who think this is one of the best races around.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Nice to meet you dumbopinion, even if you did give my wife a flat tire (not really sure how that happened, but that's kind of how I heard it). Good to see someone coming all the way from the St. Catharines area to race up this way.

Hey, what the heck, we'll return the favour. Got anything OCA sanctioned next Sunday down your way with a party atmosphere, the TDF devil and two climbs of the escarpment on the road, yet still a mountain bike race?

Racergurl,,,nice job, 60 or 100, 60 or 100, too much wine, can't decide, may skip it entirely...whole family gets up at 4:00 and you do the 100! And podium too! Nice to meet you too. Very supportive family!

ToneyRiver, Enduramil, Kirbster, others...hey I probably saw you too, but don't know who you are. Glad to see others who think this is one of the best races around.
    I'm was easy to spot. The only guy riding a rasta coloured 29er. Though I'm planning to be back next year though only for the 30k distance.

All my faucets is Moen.

Now you make me feel guilty. I'm glad she was still able to get the win. Sorry Carmen.

If the marshal was being a marshal instead of taking pictures or they actually marked the turn, we wouldn't have missed the turn and she wouldn't have had to slam on her breaks. I'm just glad it was only a flat because my wheel smashed her derailleur pretty good.

I heard something about a race in town but I'll have to check the papers. Just remember I 'let' you win on your turf so you could also return the favor that way.

Congrats on the great result today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    Now you make me feel guilty. I'm glad she was still able to get the win. Sorry Carmen.
    She said theblame could be shared equally.
    If the marshal was being a marshal instead of taking pictures or they actually marked the turn, we wouldn't have missed the turn and she wouldn't have had to slam on her breaks.
    3 ways I guess

I'm just glad it was only a flat because my wheel smashed her derailleur pretty good.
    Deralleur issues were destined to be my problem yesterday.
    I heard something about a race in town but I'll have to check the papers. Just remember I 'let' you win on your turf so you could also return the favor that way.
    Sure thing, in fact I'll make sure I'm not even within 10 minutes of the winner, just to be sure.
    Congrats on the great result today.
    Thanks. Anyone who matched or bettered last year's time had a great result I think because of the sand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast