Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Paul's Dirty Enduro 2013-

Be warned... this years thread will be a little more personal than in the past due to events in the last 5 months.

http://www.bloomfieldbicycle.ca/pauls

While this was for last February alot of what is just as relevant as now.
    Editorial: Let?s talk about mental illness

Rarely a day goes by that we donít hear about cancer or heart disease. And thereís good reason to talk about such health problems given the tremendous toll they take on Canadians.

Yet despite that toll, neither cancer nor heart disease is the No. 1 cause of disability in Canada. Rather, that dubious distinction belongs to mental illness, which accounts for nearly 30 per cent of disability claims and 70 per cent of the total costs of disability.

In fact, according to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, the total estimated cost of mental illness, in terms of health care and lost productivity, is $51 billion annually. And with a number like that, you would expect to hear more about mental illness than any other health problem, including heart disease or cancer.

Yet mental illness remains one of the few subjects people would rather avoid. According to a 2008 Canadian Medical Association survey, half of respondents would not tell co-workers they have a mentally ill family member. Even worse, about half of those who have experienced depression or anxiety have not discussed their difficulties with a doctor. The reasons for such silence are obvious enough: According to the survey, nearly half of Canadians believe the term ďmental illnessĒ is used as an excuse for bad behaviour, and well over half would refuse to hire a lawyer, doctor or financial adviser with mental illness. And if that werenít enough, 27 per cent of survey respondents said they were fearful of even being around someone who is mentally ill.

Despite its prevalence, then, mental illness remains a profoundly stigmatized health concern, and that stigmatization deters people from speaking about the issue. And in what is something of a vicious cycle, that silence ensures that stigmatization will continue, making it even more difficult to speak about mental illness. Fortunately, though, this is not an insurmountable problem; we can begin tackling it by speaking about it, and by listening to those who have experienced mental health difficulties. And Bellís Letís Talk campaign encourages and helps us to do both.

Now in its third year, the five-year, $50-million initiative is based on four pillars ó anti-stigma, care and access, research, and workplace best practices ó but anti-stigma remains the centrepiece of Bell Letís Talk Day, which takes place today.

Bell will donate five cents to mental health initiatives for every text message, long distance call made (by Bell customers), tweet using #BellLetsTalk and Facebook share of Bell Letís Talk made today. Last year, 78 million texts and calls resulted in an additional $3.9 million for the program.

Thatís the talking part. As for listening, Olympian Clara Hughes, who has battled depression, returns as spokeswoman for the third year, and will be joined by composer and performer Stefie Shock and actor-comedian Michael Mpambara, both of whom have faced mental health issues.

It has never been easier to combat the stigma of mental illness. Itís as simple as speaking and listening to others about it, any and every day. But especially today.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Please understand as I try my best here. Some won't like what I have to say..tough cookies. Because the reality is everyone pay's lip service to mental health.

5 months ago..last February a revelation from someone I love and adore nearly blew everything in my life apart. I have dealt with and lost people I care about to Cancer and Stroke. And I can tell you that it is much easier to deal with that. That revelation was my beloved wife was suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts. I would much rather have found out she had breast Cancer as with that I have a clue about it.

What more can one say? Be silent about the effects this has had on my family?

Well, I am talking. 1 in 3 will or is suffering from mental illness. My wife is one of them. And it nearly destroyed my family.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 08-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.

mtbr member

Paul's Dirty Enduro 2013-

It takes courage to say this Enduramil. And sadly you are not alone in your experience with depression in the family.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    I am, of course, doing this race. All 100km of it. But just to shake things up, this year I am using gears so I can actually ride up some of those crappy sandy hills.

And, Chris, I am dedicating my (probably mediocre) performance to your family, just because you put yourself out here on this forum.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    It takes courage to say this Enduramil. And sadly you are not alone in your experience with depression in the family.
    One of the biggest things I have found that has helped in all this. Is following Clara Hughes FB and all the activities she is doing. And still has her partner with her.

Because really having heard numerous times all the "see a counsellor" and such. It helps an awful lot when one can see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel as they say for all this. And trust me, seeing Clara and her partner who could have easily walked away to save himself. Well, it has made dealing with this a bit easier.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    One of the biggest things I have found that has helped in all this. Is following Clara Hughes FB and all the activities she is doing. And still has her partner with her.

Because really having heard numerous times all the "see a counsellor" and such. It helps an awful lot when one can see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel as they say for all this. And trust me, seeing Clara and her partner who could have easily walked away to save himself. Well, it has made dealing with this a bit easier.
    Hmmm, as a person with some experience with depression, I feel I must comment on Clara Hughes. Yes, I think it's wonderful that she's speaking out for mental health and has brought awareness to many people, especially the family, friends and employers of those afflicted.

About time.

However, as a spokesperson for depressed people, and, in particular, the idea that things can get better, I don't see how she can be effective.

I can't imagine how a profoundly depressed person could identify with someone like Ms. Hughes. She has a spectacular support system, she doesn't have to worry about day-to-day issues like finances, looking for a job, dealing with loneliness and despair, getting enough exercise, food, sleep etc. She's attractive, healthy and has her incredible achievements to fall back on.

For chrissakes, she got through all of this and went to the Olympics several times!

And we're supposed to consider her a realistic role model? If I'm feeling low and stub my toe, for example, all I can think about is what a complete loser I am and that I should just go back to bed and hide...

Yes, we should talk about depression, but realistically and without putting ridiculous expectations on those who are sick. I also think we should discuss what depression means. Most people who haven't experienced it don't have a clue how it can affect people.

Clara Hughes could never convince me things will get better... Frankly, most times I see her face I feel worse, because I don't feel like I have access any of the advantages she has. I can't think to myself "if she can do it, I can"...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    Hmmm, as a person with some experience with depression, I feel I must comment on Clara Hughes. Yes, I think it's wonderful that she's speaking out for mental health and has brought awareness to many people, especially the family, friends and employers of those afflicted.

About time.

However, as a spokesperson for depressed people, and, in particular, the idea that things can get better, I don't see how she can be effective.

I can't imagine how a profoundly depressed person could identify with someone like Ms. Hughes. She has a spectacular support system, she doesn't have to worry about day-to-day issues like finances, looking for a job, dealing with loneliness and despair, getting enough exercise, food, sleep etc. She's attractive, healthy and has her incredible achievements to fall back on.

For chrissakes, she got through all of this and went to the Olympics several times!

And we're supposed to consider her a realistic role model? If I'm feeling low and stub my toe, for example, all I can think about is what a complete loser I am and that I should just go back to bed and hide...

Yes, we should talk about depression, but realistically and without putting ridiculous expectations on those who are sick. I also think we should discuss what depression means. Most people who haven't experienced it don't have a clue how it can affect people.

Clara Hughes could never convince me things will get better... Frankly, most times I see her face I feel worse, because I don't feel like I have access any of the advantages she has. I can't think to myself "if she can do it, I can"...
    I won't pull any punches here.

The discussion on mental health and depression is not just about you or anyone suffering with it. This is all about spouses like me or my daughter Gabin who in our case have been dealing with this for 2 years.

Here's a cold reality....I immediately upon this revelation in Feb after the shock wore off started planning. Started making plans for where my daughter would go to school in Sept and to live with her Granny. And I would move down with her. This was the worst case plan....because I was worried about protecting my daughter.

It is amazing how many people I know who think that this has not nearly made me leave and divorce my wife. To many seem to think that once some drug is taken and so on that the marriage is fixed.

Unlike Cancer where people talk openly about it's effects on the family. Here again...it some kind of Boogy man. And if you think the person who is suffering from Depression has no support system. Try being the spouse or partner of someone who has mental health issues.

So when I see Clara's FB page and see her partner still there. As the spouse who's wife is suffering I feel less like a Newfie Mine Detecter.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 08-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I am, of course, doing this race. All 100km of it. But just to shake things up, this year I am using gears so I can actually ride up some of those crappy sandy hills.

And, Chris, I am dedicating my (probably mediocre) performance to your family, just because you put yourself out here on this forum.
    Thanks Barry. I appreciate it. Mediocre? Doubt it.

I admit it I was flip flopping on this a bit but some recent events caused me to realize I would rather talk about this now. Not the other way.

Lemmy Rules!
    Thanks Barry. I appreciate it. Mediocre? Doubt it.

I admit it I was flip flopping on this a bit but some recent events caused me to realize I would rather talk about this now. Not the other way.
    Dude, say the word and we are riding it together. However long it takes...we will conquer all 100km of twisty, sandy, poison ivy trail. In fact, may I go so far as to suggest that we will kick this trail's butt. Together. Sounds like a bit of a metaphor, doesn't it?

And sputnikcdn, you should come do this with us too. We need to go on a ride together. This is not a half@ssed intention. I am deadly serious and hope you take me up on this.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So, in all this I learned something of interest that is as far as I know pretty obscure and is for the ladies.

Iron levels have an effect on mental health it it seems. The doc told us the lower your iron levels are the increased odds of a woman developing depression.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Dude, say the word and we are riding it together. However long it takes...we will conquer all 100km of twisty, sandy, poison ivy trail. In fact, may I go so far as to suggest that we will kick this trail's butt. Together. Sounds like a bit of a metaphor, doesn't it?

And sputnikcdn, you should come do this with us too. We need to go on a ride together. This is not a half@ssed intention. I am deadly serious and hope you take me up on this.
    Barry, is it bad that I have dug through archives of Paul's results and pulled out a calculator to see if this is feasible based on past results? And I have only had one beer tonight.

Lemmy Rules!
    Barry, is it bad that I have dug through archives of Paul's results and pulled out a calculator to see if this is feasible based on past results? And I have only had one beer tonight.
    And what does the calculator tell you?
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And what does the calculator tell you?
    That I need another beer.

Seriously am considering this suggestion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Do it!!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Do it!!!
    Your not helping.

But let us look at the rough figures.

Paul's 2009 did the 60k in 4:42:09.

Keep in mind this was on a 29er. So based on this would have roughly 3 hours to complete 30k...this of course barring my knees going on strike because the pilot was dumb as in 2009. Meaning there would have to go with say a 34t chain ring to decrease the hammer the climb factor.

Then add in to the excuse list. Let's handicap myself farther by riding a 26 inch wheeled Chromag built more to the what is termed as Enduro these days. Though I could make up for this by borrowing a technique from the Adventure Racing types....tow rope attached to Unglued's bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've always found the tow rope to be a bit too harsh...you might find a used tube to have more give, and to have a spring-like effect...especially on the hills.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I've always found the tow rope to be a bit too harsh...you might find a used tube to have more give, and to have a spring-like effect...especially on the hills.
    Well...after doing a little more digging...

Next closest distance was at the last running of the Uxbridge Icebreaker...50k in 2:53:53 on a true beast.

Definitely not endurance rigged..heavy Kinetic's, double wide front... Basically thing bmb proof.

Seems I have a slightly lighter bike...uh oh, think I have me less excuse now. LOL

Edit just realized based on the KNine Bash that I ran a 34T chainring in 2009.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 08-17-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Interesting, it seems our esteemed moderator is on vacation.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Interesting, it seems our esteemed moderator is on vacation.
    Wonder when he'll be back?

Lemmy Rules!
    Well...after doing a little more digging...

Next closest distance was at the last running of the Uxbridge Icebreaker...50k in 2:53:53 on a true beast.

Definitely not endurance rigged..heavy Kinetic's, double wide front... Basically thing bmb proof.

Seems I have a slightly lighter bike...uh oh, think I have me less excuse now. LOL

Edit just realized based on the KNine Bash that I ran a 34T chainring in 2009.

It's no comparison...the first 40k of Paul's is sandy and has some super tough climbs. Also, it's 75 per cent single track. The icebreaker is mostly rolling terrain. Don't judge your PDE result by what you did on the icebreaker.

My advice is to go and ride the PDE 60k course whenit is marked, add 3.5 hours to that time, and then decide
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    It's no comparison...the first 40k of Paul's is sandy and has some super tough climbs. Also, it's 75 per cent single track. The icebreaker is mostly rolling terrain. Don't judge your PDE result by what you did on the icebreaker.

My advice is to go and ride the PDE 60k course whenit is marked, add 3.5 hours to that time, and then decide
    Agreed in the no comparison.

Looking back at 2009 my downfall was.....letting my ego get in the way. So muscled up the climbs when I should've been smarter and followed the Gord Byrn methodology of smart race energy use. Hence, knees on strike and can't pedal up hill.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007