mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Paul's 100 is now an IMBA Epic

Congratulations to the Ganaraska, Bloomfield Bicycle Company and Wildrock Outfitters for making it happen. I wonder if this means that there will be some permanent trail markings so that I can go ride it anytime without getting lost.

http://www.imba.com/epics/pauls_dirty_100.html

veldrijder
    That's pretty excellent news. I haven't made it to Paul's yet, but this year I am making it a priority. I've only done an XC race at Ganaraska, but if that was any indication I'd surely get lost without a marked course. To know that there is 100k of singletrack and I've only been on 10-15 is very exciting. I'm planning to do the Gear Grinder to get a feel for Ganaraska earlier in the season, which should be right around when we can start collecting pledges for Paul's.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Congratulations to the Ganaraska, Bloomfield Bicycle Company and Wildrock Outfitters for making it happen. I wonder if this means that there will be some permanent trail markings so that I can go ride it anytime without getting lost.

http://www.imba.com/epics/pauls_dirty_100.html
    That's great to hear. Perhaps we could get a group ride in the ganny setup for the spring. I can ride most of those trails with my eyes closed.

It is amazing looking at the map. There is a LOT more singletrack that is not in the 100km loop. The E2 loop is a bit to the east of the map, that would add another 15km or so. Plus it is a ton of fun to ride. Berm followed by another berm, followed by another berm, etc.

Nice day for a ride.....
    I actually just read about it yesterday in the IMBA newsletter..... good stuff

mtbr member
    Last year I drove all the way up there (for the first time) to do Paul's and was running tight on time. Whatever directions I got were weak at best. I'm usually good with directions and figured out where I went wrong a little bit after, but it would have taken a stroke of really good luck and a lot of speeding to get there on time after all that. I ended up turning around and driving home to ride some local trails.

That said, I am also making it a priority this year, it looks like a great ride. I'm planning on giving the 100km a shot.

I wanted to try the Gear Grinder too, but I was thinking about doing the Lake to Lake which is on the same day. I have never ridden in the Niagra region before either and don't know which to try.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    That said, I am also making it a priority this year, it looks like a great ride. I'm planning on giving the 100km a shot.

I wanted to try the Gear Grinder too, but I was thinking about doing the Lake to Lake which is on the same day. I have never ridden in the Niagra region before either and don't know which to try.
    I too plan to try the PDE 100k

Here's my take on the Gear Grinder/L2L situation: the lake to lake course doesn't really make the best of riding around the Niagara region. If you want to come try out our trails you'd be welcome to come meet up with us sometime; I'll be riding here all summer. We have a Wednesday night series that you can enter for very little money if you just want to come do one night as well. There's always the Squeezer in September which is usually a great course as well.
    Last edited by jmoote; 02-01-2008 at 05:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Just to be clear, the course is an IMBA Epic, not the actual race. IMBA is working on finding a date in the fall to have the actual Epic ride. It likely won't fall on the same date as the race, and will be scheduled to coincide with the Trail Care Crew Visit to T.O. (Which I expect you all to be at )
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.