mtbr member
    Aug 2007

is paris to ancaster on a singlespeed fun or aggravating?

I was thinking about trying this race on a singlespeed cross bike, but I looked at my file from last year and it seemed like there were a lot of 23-25 mph sections that would leave me spun out.

I worry that it would just be annoying and no fun. I was wondering if others have done it and what their experiences were.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Can you just run a big honking gear like a 42x15 and figure on running some or will the last few clicks kill you with that tall gear?

Burnt Orange Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    Can you just run a big honking gear like a 42x15 and figure on running some or will the last few clicks kill you with that tall gear?
    if you ask me, riding a single speed is always aggravating.

but a few around here race P2A on their single speeds and i am sure they will chime in shortly.
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    I think Osokolo means me....

Yes it can be done. I have ridden P2A 5 times on a SS and finished as fast as 2:40, which is mid pack for the SS class. The last year I used the SS I used a 44-16 gearing which was fine until the last hill, and got my fastest time. My advice would be to have a gearing that works for the first 59k, not the last 1k (big honking gear, like you said) Do NOT, repeat Do NOT use your standard or CX gearing, as you will end up spending 4 hours spinning like a gerbil, will be miserable and likely still not be able to make the last climb.

The main benefit of running SS is that you can pretty much ride the power line mudslide as the CX tires cut through the mud, the disc brakes will still work and your shifting will not be affected (duh).

FWIW though, this race is IMHO far better enjoyed from the saddle of a geared cyclocross bike ( which is how I have ridden the race the last 3 years), especially if it is muddy, so if you have that option, that is the way to go.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I think Osokolo means me....

Yes it can be done. I have ridden P2A 5 times on a SS and finished as fast as 2:40, which is mid pack for the SS class. The last year I used the SS I used a 44-16 gearing which was fine until the last hill, and got my fastest time. My advice would be to have a gearing that works for the first 59k, not the last 1k (big honking gear, like you said) Do NOT, repeat Do NOT use your standard or CX gearing, as you will end up spending 4 hours spinning like a gerbil, will be miserable and likely still not be able to make the last climb.

The main benefit of running SS is that you can pretty much ride the power line mudslide as the CX tires cut through the mud, the disc brakes will still work and your shifting will not be affected (duh).

FWIW though, this race is IMHO far better enjoyed from the saddle of a geared cyclocross bike ( which is how I have ridden the race the last 3 years), especially if it is muddy, so if you have that option, that is the way to go.
    I think I may just take your advice on this one. I have always done OK on the geared bike and might not enjoy getting blown apart on those roads for 2 hours. I do want to try it again for cyclocross, I did one race on a real flat open course and found it a little frustrating. I'd love to not tear a RD off once a year with the mud though...

sheep in FOX clothing
    If I'm not mistaken the OP has been top-10 in the past . Don't want to reveal internet identities further though.

Few years back, one of the usual suspects was well into the top-10 on a SS. However a gale-force headwind that year meant that we were pretty much riding the roads and the woods at the same speed.

With mud in the woods and a massive tailwind on the roads like last year, I think it would suck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I droned in in 67th. last year. That was a funny year when I finished 3rd, I actually crashed hard on the rail trail and chased all the way through the first 200 and bridge to the lead group and stayed with Peter M and Nathan until the very last steep bit. I ruptured my kidney a couple weeks later and just never rode well again. It was a little sad because I felt like I was in great shape that year, I just thought about what I wanted to do and my body responded. That never came back, oh well.

I was hoping the single speed might be fun, but it sounds like it might just be more fun on paper...

Speedhub doc.
    p4pb1644793.jpgDone this race singlespeed, running 42 x 17 and last couple races were a 42 x 16, pending winter training, hill repeats and ride time, I will step it up to a 44 x 16, knowing full well that the last hill is a get off and run or brisk walk up, Riding in a group will certainly help esp on the long open road/rail trail sections too, I have a geared bike (rohloff) which would be the way to go, but just like the light simple minded feeling of pushing only one gear, now if you really want to challenge yourself and ride proper, you will ride a fixed gear (no coasting) done this a few races ago and its the way I ride off road in the winter time, really adds to winter riding!
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDog View Post
    p4pb1644793.jpg, now if you really want to challenge yourself and ride proper, you will ride a fixed gear (no coasting) done this a few races ago and its the way I ride off road in the winter time, really adds to winter riding!
    On a mountain bike? I did not know anyone did that. I ride a road fixed just because of all the salt and crap they put on the roads, but mtb, whoa.