mtbr member

Paris 2 Ancaster

I'm really debating whether I should do this race or head to Bloomfield NY for a road race there.

Here's my problem: The P2A is $42 this year plus a $3 online registration fee and another $5 credit card fee. That's $50 for a race in April! Ouch. The race in Bloomfield is $30 all inclusive.

Hmmm. Who is else or isn't doing the P2A this year?
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

NormalNorm
    IMO, I would race the Bloomfield NY road race. The paris to ancaster last year(come to think about it the last couple of years), was just too frustating for me. There were people walking when you could be riding. Just too many people starting at once. I'm thinking about trying the 35km for just this reason. I'm really surprised that there arent more waves.....

mtbr member
    Damn, those processing fees are kind of messed. Since when did it cost 5 bucks to process a credit card, especially for 42 bucks. Kind of pisses me off actually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Did the Paris to Ancaster once. That was enough for me. Way too much road and not enough singletrack for my liking. And yes, those processing fees do suck for sure.
    High on Life

bi-winning
    The race is in the middle of my exam period, so i likely will not be there. $50 is pretty steep for a training ride too
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I'll probably give in and do it, since I have no exams this year, and I need to get in some training before May (epic mtb trip + 24 hour solo race + 8hour to prepare for). I'm more so looking forward to the Ice Breaker though. But as rkj says, pricey training ride. Fingers crossed that the snow is gone by April, plllleassseee.

veldrijder
    I'm registered already. Mail in your reg and you can save all the extra fees - that's what I did

The road race doesn't sound like a bad alternative by any means though.
    Last edited by jmoote; 03-05-2008 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am all signed up. The race has a ton of road but I use this race as my excuse to get started riding hard and training those winter lungs.

mtbr member
    I'm out this year.

Going on a trip from March 20 to April 7 and I haven't been on the bike at all, not even spinning since before Christmas.

Have a good one boys and girls.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Just an FYI, 2 more stroms are predicted before winter is over and there is a prediction that winter will last well into April. I love winter riding but this much snow and ice is no fun for racing and the routes for the P-A will likely be pot holed to death it it's still frozen.

Secondly, those processing fees are stupid. Just tell people the total cost and stop pissing everyone off with extra fees. It's like buying concert tickets and being charged a convenience fee, what's so convenient about a fee on top of a another fee for using a payment method? Does P-A allow PayPal?

I'm out for this year, never really liked this race anyway, too boring and too many people walking with bikes. If anyone is interested, Harry's Spring run off is around the same time in TO and supports a good cause; that being prostate cancer. The swag is great and running will make you far better prepared come cycling races. Think of it as cross training. I try to get two running races in early to set the tone for the summer bike races.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes
    Just an FYI, 2 more stroms are predicted before winter is over and there is a prediction that winter will last well into April. I love winter riding but this much snow and ice is no fun for racing and the routes for the P-A will likely be pot holed to death it it's still frozen.

Secondly, those processing fees are stupid. Just tell people the total cost and stop pissing everyone off with extra fees. It's like buying concert tickets and being charged a convenience fee, what's so convenient about a fee on top of a another fee for using a payment method? Does P-A allow PayPal?

I'm out for this year, never really liked this race anyway, too boring and too many people walking with bikes. If anyone is interested, Harry's Spring run off is around the same time in TO and supports a good cause; that being prostate cancer. The swag is great and running will make you far better prepared come cycling races. Think of it as cross training. I try to get two running races in early to set the tone for the summer bike races.
    Agreed on the processing fees and the walking. Bury the processing fees if you have them. Why piss off your ridership with this kind of stuff? And as you said there is way too much walking through stuff that rideable for most mountain bikers. That said, I expect that's also a result of the number of entrants and the lack of staged starts other than the elite and "the rest". I am not sure if I am doing this yet...Weather could play a role. It's not worth it if it's a slop fest and pothole city...I can go do a couple of 60km training rides a couple of days back to back on the roadie for free...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    ^ I have been thinking more and more along those lines too. Could get much more riding in if most of it is on the road.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I'm all signed up. The extra fee is a little goofy, but in the big picture it really didn't make me think twice about registering. I'm hoping to start moving the training rides outdoors in the next couple of weeks and start getting prepared for whatever climatic system happens to be over Ontario at the time of the P2A.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dont think you should opt out of a race because of weather that is predicted 5 weeks into the future. Besides, the website says they have had sleet before on race day so no one should be surprized.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes, I remember the first time I did the race. I was hiding in my car watching all these crazy people warming up while it was hailing, thundering and lightening was flashing in the distance. Not my idea of a good time! An hour into the race, the sun came out and it turned into the most beautiful day. Be prepared for anything the weather can throw at you that time of the year.
    It's a good race for waking up those winter legs!
    Last edited by racergurl; 03-12-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    High on Life

NormalNorm
    Back in '99 they called off the race, halfway through. It snowed(4"), hailed, rained, thunder, etc....

One of the best rides i've done IMO. Yeah, i'm twisted....

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Back in '99 they called off the race, halfway through. It snowed(4"), hailed, rained, thunder, etc....

One of the best rides i've done IMO. Yeah, i'm twisted....
    Last year at the Hilton falls time trial, i opted to go without the rain jacket, as it was not raining at the start of the race. It started to rain, during the race and i started to freeze. After the race, i was shivering for quite some time.

Those are the races you remember. The ones with the worst conditions, or the worst pain imaginable.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Burnt Orange Lives

i remember LaRuta

because of the hottest girl riding in bikini and climbing like a goat... i did have to drop her, but that was the most pain i felt during the race... dont remember the weather... but she was hot...

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Last year at the Hilton falls time trial, i opted to go without the rain jacket, as it was not raining at the start of the race. It started to rain, during the race and i started to freeze. After the race, i was shivering for quite some time.

Those are the races you remember. The ones with the worst conditions, or the worst pain imaginable.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    because of the hottest girl riding in bikini and climbing like a goat... i did have to drop her, but that was the most pain i felt during the race... dont remember the weather... but she was hot...
    was that the day you dnf'd?
    i mean like many of your 'female' experiences maybe you were a tad too excited, maybe you shot the proverbial load a bit too early...just sayin'...

see you in ancaster oogles, i'll be dressed and waiting at the top of the climb for you...even if no one else is!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Burnt Orange Lives

the day i dnfd, i didnt see anything...

just circles in my head, many circles... and then there was nothing...

hey, dont wait for me... i will be too slow for you stud... go home and enjoy the TV program...

are you starting in the first wave? if not, you'll have to pass me first... turtle...

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    was that the day you dnf'd?
    i mean like many of your 'female' experiences maybe you were a tad too excited, maybe you shot the proverbial load a bit too early...just sayin'...

see you in ancaster oogles, i'll be dressed and waiting at the top of the climb for you...even if no one else is!

Misfit Psycles

hey, dont wait for me... i will be too slow for you stud... go home and enjoy the TV program...

are you starting in the first wave? if not, you'll have to pass me first... turtle...
    to wit to woo theres nothing you can do...first wave, like you need an extra handicap.

i double dog dare you to pay my entry to la rooty...class is in session oogie.
    paris to ancaster, i've got that covered and i'm looking forward to my unspectacular mid pack finnish.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Burnt Orange Lives

i will sign up in the

porky category... i am at 222# right now... can you please give me a push as you pass me? i'll buy you a beer...

Misfit Psycles
    porky category... i am at 222# right now... can you please give me a push as you pass me? i'll buy you a beer...
    you clicked the links didn't you oobey poobey...made you feel dirty didn't it?

i will loan you a bike if you'd like to make a proper race of it...hell i'll ride clyde too if that floats your tugboat.

anyone else desperately NEED time on the bike? i fear the winter will have an impact on the cheques my mouth is writing for my bodaaay...thank heaven for the flu.

You know, Kathie Lee.. you are a very special woman. I don't mean special in a Mary Tyler Moore way.. Or an extra-value meal at Happy Burger way.. No, I mean special, like the song of the hummingbird.. As it gets ready to find a female hummingburd.. And make sweet love to it, all night long. Just 2 hummingbirds, moaning and groaning.. Lettin' their bodies caress, and touch each other in ecstasy. Then Slowly the male hummingbird gets behind the female hummingbird.. And eases his way into her golden valley. Gliding Gently, in and out.. in and out.. ooh, in and out.. 2 hummingbirds doin' it doggy style all night long.. Until finally, the male hummingbird screams with passion.. and lets his little humming gravy fly all over the nest.. Yeah.. and it makes me wanna.. Makes me wanna sing this special song for you, Yeah baby..
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Burnt Orange Lives

c'mon porky... race me please...

make it worth my while to get muddy and sweaty...

thanks for the finnish boys page. still sifting through it... my biceps is all worked out now... thank you thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    you clicked the links didn't you oobey poobey...made you feel dirty didn't it?

i will loan you a bike if you'd like to make a proper race of it...hell i'll ride clyde too if that floats your tugboat.

anyone else desperately NEED time on the bike? i fear the winter will have an impact on the cheques my mouth is writing for my bodaaay...thank heaven for the flu.

Single speed

What's More fun?

Hey Dan,
    I've yet to do a road race. But I am wondering How much fun is racing on the road?

I only did this race once. I thought it was a real test. A good mix of road and dirt.
    A gut check on how well you have prepared for it. With the length and being early in the season.
    I didn't have too much problem with the hike a bike. I squeezed in the staging area about 15 riders back from the start line.Then hammered until the first climb off the rail trail. After that I settled into a groove and cruised to the finish.

The part that I didn't like was when I was dragging a geared rider for a good distance at about the 3/4 mark. Totally unwilling to do any work. But that's racing. I guess.

It might be worth your while to do the road race if you do the Tour of Pelham on April 5th.

I'll be there on my old school raleigh gran prix set up cross like SS.
    Keep your fingers crossed for the good weather.
    I guess if it is bad weather here Bloomfield will be much the same except you'll be on more ashphalt.

Hope to see in Paris.