Some guy
    Jul 2007

Palgrave Trails?

Anybody here know the Palgrave Trails north of Albion Hills? Can anybody compare them to say Albion or the King trails in terms of length and degree of difficulty (anything technical or interesting)? I'm just trying to see if they are worth the 45 min drive or if I'm better off just going to King or Coulson's Hill since Albion is out of commission.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would compare the Palgrave track, in terms of difficulty, more to the King trails than to Albion. The early stretch (to the ride of the main track leading in) is certainly hilly and challenging, and the remainder is a very nice ride with a number of tricky parts. I would go back, on days when Albion might be crowded. What was interesting is that we saw only one other rider on a beautiful Saturday morning and after about 90 minutes we got completely lost and could not find our way out.

Looking for Adventure
    What trails??
    Oh those, those are just foot paths made by one of our Caledon Cycling Club members as he sleep walks most nights. They are no good for riding because they wander all over the place.....
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    I find the Palgrave trails to be the most physically challenging in the Peel-York-Durham Regions. It's not that technical - between King and Albion but there is something about the terrain change that I find more challenging than Albion. The only thing is it's relatively short, but a new section opened this year with rejuvies for other trails.

I think its worth a 45 min drive for the change of pace from all of the other trails in the area but it depends on what you are looking for. IMO King is a rail trail compared to Palgrave.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    What trails??
    Oh those, those are just foot paths made by one of our Caledon Cycling Club members as he sleep walks most nights. They are no good for riding because they wander all over the place.....
    Careful Ricksom, we don't want this to turn into one of "those" threads...

Palgrave is worth the drive but I've never ridden there on my own and I imagine I might get lost if I were by myself.

On a side note, I was watching a preview video of Stage 2 (Vancouver Island) for BCBR and thought "Gee, that looks just like Palgrave!"
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I hit Palgrave for the first time two weeks ago, was it worth the 40 minute drive - yah, was it a show stoppper no.

Basically one loop is 10 km, so you need to run the same track again, so we ran it forward then backwards. Technical not really, basic pine forest ridge riding. Grunt factor - definitely on some parts, some fun downs but you always will be braking for another tight and twisty turn. Handles rain well, not busy and an alternative to Albion. Never been to King but I would rather go to Coulsons than Palgrave. Not sure where you are coming from but Ravenshoe and Barrie Admin would be another option.

Hit Buckwallow last weekend , now that's what I call high fun factor.

humber river advocate
    it's just the start of several trailheads...

humber river advocate
    follow the trails up to highway nine and beyond... also south trails...

McB
    mtbr member
    Palgrave is a hidden gem.. The trails are much more tighter then Albion and definitely more technically challenging. The nice thing about Palgrave is that you do not get the traffic like you do at Albion.

If you are looking for a good work out try riding the Single tracks in under 35 - 40 minutes from end to end. You will have no problems with getting your cardio up. Palgrave is not technical like Buck, Sections of Kelso or Hardwood (radical). However, it is much more twisty and turnie and has lots of shorter steeper climbs compared to places like Albion or Durham.

One thing I must say about Palgrave.. You will probably need someone to guide you through the Single tracks the first time.. It is easy to get lost
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter
    I hit Palgrave for the first time two weeks ago, was it worth the 40 minute drive - yah, was it a show stoppper no.
    You are right....not worth the drive. I ride the trails frequently, but I can't imagine anyone else wanting to. Pass on the bad news.........
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

McB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    You are right....not worth the drive. I ride the trails frequently, but I can't imagine anyone else wanting to. Pass on the bad news.........
    I don't know about that.. Are we talking about the same palgrave because there are trails on the east and west side of Duffy's lane. I am referring to the West side and we park in the big parking lot.. And then ride down the fire road to the entrance of the single tracks. Those trails are in pretty good condition and maintained by Caledon CC. Sure their single tracks are not highways like at Albion or Glen Major but definitely very rideable and in good condition.

I guess some people have a Love Hate relationship with Palgrave. My friend doesn't like it because she considers it very cardio intensive.. For me, I am looking for that in a ride.

I personally like the workout that I get there and I like the trail flow. Although, I did need someone to lead me on my first ride.

I guess the only way to find out whether you like it or not is to ride it. But make sure to have a guide..
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McB
    I don't know about that.. Are we talking about the same palgrave because there are trails on the east and west side of Duffy's lane. I am referring to the West side and we park in the big parking lot.. And then ride down the fire road to the entrance of the single tracks. Those trails are in pretty good condition and maintained by Caledon CC. Sure their single tracks are not highways like at Albion or Glen Major but definitely very rideable and in good condition...
    I have to agree with Ricksom... Not fun. I have only been a few times (with people who know the place), and found the narrow, twisty, constant up and down singletrack very unpleasant on my singlespeed... In fact, I may have to go there again just to hate it even more.

Arek

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Right. I get the idea. Smartasses .

mtbr member
    I rode some of them today. I haven't found them all yet. But I agree with Ricksom, not worth the drive at all...even if you only have a 15 minute drive..very easy to get lost and who wants to be lost there when it gets dark.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

banned
    Feb 2005
    I think that what Garage Monster was trying to say was come and give them a ride, they are very fun trails and you will not get very lost. Atleast not BC lost.
    I've always been really excited to have people riding AND racing on trails I've helped build. So odd.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Garage Monster could you roll out the welcome mat a little more for me? It sounds like I will need a bit more directional help from you on how to find all the great singletrack here. Cause I know how you like to help all your fellow MTBers.

mtbr member

lost shoes

Last Sunday April 1st I forgot my Shimano shoes and a pair of shin pads there. The shoes are that weird light baby blue colour, size 7, female shoes with spd cleats on them. The shin pads which I dont really care about are pink and black. If anybody has seen them will they please message me on this forum??
    Thanks
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Palgrave is more of a workout than Albion for sure - the constant up and down grind through the ridge gets the heart going no doubt about it.

Very easy to take a bad trail loop though, as only one or two loops are any good - the rest are double-trackish and quite tame.