mtbr member

Ottawa Area Gatherings / Races?

Hi All,

New rider here, just curious if there are any MTB gatherings or races anyone knows of in the Ottawa area.

thank you

sore member
    There is an open house at Mont St. Marie this weekend, October 8th and 9th. Chair lift will be operating. Official website:

Velo MSM

Chairlift is $10 (dunno if it's per trip or per day). There are about 13km of trails. I believe one is a downhill, the others are technical XC. I've seen some pictures and the trails look amazing. Very scenic.

As far as upcoming nearby (within an hour's drive) events, that's all I know of at the moment.

There is the sunset series and the occasional Quebec-cup race at Camp Fortune, but I believe those are done for the season.
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 10-03-2011 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Good to know about, thank you

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Last I heard Ottawa had banned any races not on unnatural surfaces.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

sore member
    LOL. It certainly seems that way. There was a cyclocross series here in the fall at various venues in Ottawa/Gatineau and nearby and the City of Ottawa pulled permission to use Ottawa city parks last year, mid-series. Too many complaints about grass getting torn up by bicycle tires I guess. It didn't matter that the cyclocross series had been held for a number of years without incident and the grass had no problem regrowing each spring. A few complaints about mud puddles and tire tracks was all it took. Don't know what they are doing about it this year.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    It's a little late in the year for mtb activities in Ottawa but watch the forum on the Ottawa Mountain Bike Association (OMBA) website for trail days, group rides and other social activities next year.

Camp Fortune does XC races every second Wednesday in the summer. Downhill is open the opposite Wednesdays and open on the weekends.

There really isn't much more than that. Ottawa's road community is much more developed than the mountain bike community.

And if cross is also your thing, the OBC races are still on this year but are now all outside of the city of Ottawa such as Almonte, near Renfrew etc. It's still a great series though and I recommend giving it a try. You'll meet plenty of other mountain bikers there.

Good luck!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    One thing not mentioned, not Ottawa proper. There will be a skills park rebuild gathering next spring in Petawawa.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

sore member
    Also some events held at Forest Lea, near Petawawa, about a 2 hour drive from Ottawa. They had an enduro back in September:

Mountain Bike Forest Lea

Also, there have been some race series stops at Limerick in the spring, about 1 hour south of Ottawa:

Recreation - Limerick Forest

Going further afield, there is the J&J 8 hour and occasional substance marathon event during the summer just outside Kingston, about a 2-2.5 hour drive:

substance projects | more than just a bike ride

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the info

mtbr member
    I am leading a 40-50k ride this Sunday on a lesser known and underrated trail network in Ottawa's west end. You are more then welcome to join. PM me if you are interested in the details.