Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Ontaro Cup #7 - Horseshoe

Has anybody heard if there will be pre-riding at Horseshoe this coming long weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes! Just saw a facebook post thanking all the volunteers,etc that came out to help get it ready & that it just needs riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hope to get over there at some point this weekend.

Glad to see your going to make it out. Duntroon was a blast!

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm hopefully heading up on Saturday
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Take a course map with you. http://www.superflyracing.com/wp-con...-Horseshoe.jpg

I pre-rode last weekend, and it was generally an excercise in getting lost. It was made worse by the enduro course having been set up, which was not the same as the XC O-Cup course. Though once you get it in your head to: (i) turn left and then right at the ponies; and (ii) follow the small square signs that say XC O-Cup, it is possible to make it around without getting lost. Hopefully there have been improvements on wayfinding made in the last week.

Oh, and get ready to get your climb on.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Take a course map with you. http://www.superflyracing.com/wp-con...-Horseshoe.jpg

I pre-rode last weekend, and it was generally an excercise in getting lost. It was made worse by the enduro course having been set up, which was not the same as the XC O-Cup course. Though once you get it in your head to: (i) turn left and then right at the ponies; and (ii) follow the small square signs that say XC O-Cup, it is possible to make it around without getting lost. Hopefully there have been improvements on wayfinding made in the last week.

Oh, and get ready to get your climb on.
    yeah, it appears that it is the name of the game... can't believe they could stuff so much climbing in one course.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's a championship course. There should be a lot of climbing. There should also be technical rock gardens, technical descents and tight, flowy, fast singletrack.

Sounds like a great course! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Superfly has marked the course with his own markings now, it has been changed a bit from what folks were riding this past weekend.

With the nature of Horseshoe it can't be fully taped and marked till race weekend but there should be enough markings to get you around the course now.

And yes it is a very physically challenging course, but its hard for everyone thats the point right?

Some rain in the forecast for this weekend will help out a bunch with the looser spots.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    Superfly has marked the course with his own markings now, it has been changed a bit from what folks were riding this past weekend.

With the nature of Horseshoe it can't be fully taped and marked till race weekend but there should be enough markings to get you around the course now.

And yes it is a very physically challenging course, but its hard for everyone thats the point right?

Some rain in the forecast for this weekend will help out a bunch with the looser spots.

Thanks for your help with the course setup.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    [QUOTE=osokolo;10641392]Thanks for your help with the course setup.[/QUOTE

Ill put up signs at the rock gardens I built/modified so you know who to curse/thank

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Question: how dies it compare to the Heights of Horseshoe course from the old days? Is there as much climbing as the old course and is it technically easier or harder?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Question: how dies it compare to the Heights of Horseshoe course from the old days? Is there as much climbing as the old course and is it technically easier or harder?
    Same amount of climbing but Id say its tougher cause its steeper and singletrack, I remember the heights to have more doubletrack climbing which is always a little mellower.

overall I think the heights had more doubletrack along the north end of the course, where the resort side is actually 95% by time singletrack. Which adds another degree of toughness cause your always "on" there's no real mellow sections. Which also makes it tough for passing/lapping. Its my one beef with the course, Sean calls me old and says i should switch to road when i bring it up. Fair enough,

Technically, ill say a little tougher with some of the rock gardens and the DH run thats included. But balanced out cause the tread as sandy as it is isn't the powdered sugar consistency like at the heights.

Also the heights is all pine trees, many of which were planted, the resort side is a lot of hardwoods which gives the forest a different feel as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sounds awesome! I'll be up at my friend's cottage at Horseshoe that weekend, probably won't be racing though, I'm still waiting for a bunch of stuff to heal after getting clipped by a car in early August. Will probably pop by and do an easy practice lap or 2, and if I feel up to it I might just strap on a number plate.

rwmtb
    It sounds like a really great course, wish I could be there. Unfortunately I busted my frame last week while at Grundy Lake PP and won't have the replacement in time for the race. Completely separated the head tube from the rest of the bike-- fortunately while ascending a technical rocky section-- could have been a lot more painful had I been descending. Serves me right, it was a hiking only trail.

Bought a nice light aluminum unbranded Kinesis frame from BikeIsland and will hopefully have everything I need to build up the new bike the weekend of the Championship. Finally graduate to disc brakes, my old frame was a bit of a relic (2002 Giant Yukon) and didn't have disc brake mounts at the back.

This was my first year racing the O-cup series and I really enjoyed it-- loved the technical and challenging course the Superfly team put together. For me, lots of room for improvement next year, will hopefully avoid the mechanical issues I had this years (3 flats in 3 separate races, and major chainsuck in another.) Currently sitting 4th in my category though (MS Male 40-44) so can't really complain.

Have a great race everyone, see you all next year.

mtbr member
    Well, three laps in the books this morning on the course...Very interesting would be a way to describe it. It's rather different in many respects from a lot of the other courses. That's been noted I think, so I will try not to be redundant.

The first portion of the course is the longest section of doubletrack until heading into the woods. Once in there, there's some climbing followed by a series of dips and short descent switchbacks. Rather fun stuff I would say. There's a lot of this on the first half of the course with a few punchy climbs that are manageable too. A couple of rocks, one garden at the top of a short climb that are doable, so restricted to the 1:30PM racers.

Getting past the halfway point is where the pain really kicks in. There's a doubletrack grunt littered with horsesh!t that's followed by another couple long lactic acid inducing lengthy climbs. One of which the entry is gravel and getting off is almost inevitable. That said, I ran into one of the guys that works there and he was telling me they will be fixing that with some harder surface material to make it reasonable. There are one or two other borderline step off the bike sections due to the loose ground and lack of traffic on the course. I can't say this is a downer because I believe it will correct itself with traffic and some love. Following these climbs are some descents. They are quite fun despite the shortness as compared to what it takes to get up before going down.

The last portion of the course going mostly down hill being lots of fun. Very near the bottom, there is a berm that goes left with a big hump coming out of it. Come out of the berm on the very left, or get back on the saddle or slow down or eating it OTB could be inevitable. Following that there are a couple of challenging rock gardens coming out of the trees at the bottom of the hill near the chalet.

Overall, it's definitely a Provincial level course. Everyone's "A" game will be required to race it. There aren't many passing areas as the doubletrack is short, so picking spots will be key. The course should only get getter with another week of riding on it. And I would expect some distance added as it's under 6km currently. Slower with all the climbing though! It's a little fresh in a few spots, but will make for a fun day out there next weekend. Getting out there preriding it will help the course!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Thanks mtbmeister for the detailed report. I will try to get out there on Saturday or Sunday.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    That has to be one of the toughest courses I have ever ridden. Those who Di not preride will be at a huge disadvantage
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    That has to be one of the toughest courses I have ever ridden. Those who Di not preride will be at a huge disadvantage
    Going to need to get a better perspective here...

Would you rather.....

Race Albion in the rain with the Green Monster, and Goats Path thrown in on a
    singlespeed

Or ride O-Cup #7 Horseshoe with gears?!?!?!

mtbr member

Perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Going to need to get a better perspective here...

Would you rather.....

Race Albion in the rain with the Green Monster, and Goats Path thrown in on a
    singlespeed

Or ride O-Cup #7 Horseshoe with gears?!?!?!
    Comparing this course to Albion is like comparing watermelons to grapes. Even if you include the Green Monster. I don't ride singlespeed, but would welcome the Green Monster twice per lap as well as the Goat path compared to this course. This is a totally different animal than Albion and I am surprised you would venture to compare them. Comparing this course to Duntroon or the CC course at Hardwood would equalize things a lot more.

Oh, and I must also mention that I am a huge fan of Albion too and race there weekly most of the year. So no bias here, just trying to ensure that there's an accurate comparison, which this is not.

This course has some climbing that needs love still. I rode a few laps Friday, and will do four more tomorrow. I hope that things are packed down in a few spots that weren't on the first trip to not have to step out of the pedals. Which I and many others have complained about.

Looking forward to four more laps tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My post was just a joke hombre!

I know unglued loved singlespeed and hates gears

Lemmy Rules!
    Scott, I have a bike with gears now. Horsehoe with gears is way tougher, technically and physically to the difficult parts of Albion on SS. I can ride everything at Albion even without gears and squish. There's at least one climb on the provincials course I was unable to make it all the way up, even with my 2x10 drivetrain. The course is completely humbling.

The bad news is that I may not be able to ride next weekend at all. We are getting a new puppy on Saturday and Mrs Unglued is none too pleased that I am planning on racing the next day.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

Ontaro Cup #7 - Horseshoe

Hey Barry...that's weak! It's not like your having a child, it's a puppy! As a suggestion, start planning your race calendar in the early spring, then getting new dogs will fall on another weekend. I am just sayin'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Hey Barry...that's weak! It's not like your having a child, it's a puppy! As a suggestion, start planning your race calendar in the early spring, then getting new dogs will fall on another weekend. I am just sayin'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    You're preaching to the choir, but there will always be other races and Mrs Unglued is the only wife I have..,
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    You're preaching to the choir, but there will always be other races and Mrs Unglued is the only wife I have..,
    This is where you use the puppy as an excuse to buy the Krampus and that dog attachement thing that BCD has.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    I understand the dilema, but my advice is to pay attention to the wife. Even the most understanding wives run out of patience at tome point. I am speaking from experience.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast