mtbr member

Ontario Singlespeed Championships?

Sooooo....

Anyone think there might be enough interest to make something like this happen, independent of the O-cup circuit? Maybe throw in some curveballs a la the Worlds with their go-kart race (but obviously not a go-kart race. Or, maybe a go-kart race). I think that an event like this would attract a larger field than the O-cups, since there are a lot of expert/elite riders who ride SS but are committed to riding gearies and getting results at the big races.

Maybe a SS hillclimb? Lemans start? Lemans finish? Speed trials? Ability based categories, so that Brad (or maybe myself if I'm lucky) doesn't win? More beer than the average Ocup? Fixed category?

Then again I missed the King City festivus last year so maybe it's already been done.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Veteran Youth, ya just coerced me into my first post here - been lurking for a bit.

Yeah a SS Ontario championships sounds cool. But only if you have a vet class.
    I started 1 speeding up here in Muskoka last summer - for all the usual reasons one
    gets into singlespeeding, and to make riding with my kids at Buckwallow a bit more
    interesting. I've got no interest in the uptight O-cup scene. But a dedicated singlespeed
    race would be fun - and lots of beer. That would have to be an integral part of the event.
    (and make the race everything that any O-cup isn't.)

There's a few of us SS's up here, and Ian at Ecclestone cycles dabbles with one speeding
    a fair amount. Maybe a dedicated race at Buckwallow could happen. I could talk to
    Mike M. (Buckwallows owner) and see what he thinks. Just an idea - what ya think?

David S.

Bored
    Keep it an open class... It isn't about the race, so much as about the event.

Would be nice to see something like this, but at Horseshoe so there is some climbing.

I also predict that Uncle Steve would win the event... ($hit talk before there is even an event).
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, okay, buckwallow is pretty flat. Horseshoe would suffice to put some vert into the equation. All the better to upchuck all the beer - Oh waitaminute, the beer's after the race, right????
    Howzabout having a beer chug every lap - down a beer and get a 2 minute time bonus!

Just a thought.......

Evil Jr.
    Here's a thought. Maybe we turn the SS category of the Winter WOW into the Ontario Championships, even if we only do it gorilla-style. Come to think of it, Mike might like the idea.

Mansfield's a great place to race. The atmosphere is always awesome. There are already a ton of SS riders there. The food's great. And it's pretty much the last race of the season, after all the precious O-Cups so even the Elites can let their hair down.

$My 0.02.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

More than a little slow
    Maybe we turn the SS category of the Winter WOW into the Ontario Championships, even if we only do it gorilla-style.

I like that idea.
    Cheers, the other David S.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    BTW, there were only 18 SS riders at the WOW last year.

Speaking of Ontario SS Championships, wouldn't the winner of the Provincials in the SS O-Cup category claim to be Ontario Champion?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    BTW, there were only 18 SS riders at the WOW last year.

Speaking of Ontario SS Championships, wouldn't the winner of the Provincials in the SS O-Cup category claim to be Ontario Champion?
    that would make sense!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    If the goal is to find out who's the best, then maybe yes maybe no. The title of O-Cup SS Champion is well-earned, since anyone who doesn't come out to play can't claim the glory. The person who wins the series deserves the title. Yet, at the same time if the purpose is to find out who Ontario's mostest fastest quickest zippiest SS'er is, then this alternate event may be required.

It's not any different than asking who the best roadie in Ontario is. Sure, there's the Ontario RR series or provincial champ, but you'd have a difficult argument to make a case for anyone other than Mike Barry to give this tag to.

mtbr member
    I don't think that the SS winner at provincials is necessarily the best SSer in the province. Could Brad beat Watson on an SS? Maybe, maybe not. Glassford threw down the fastest laps at Bucky after his flat(s?), but I don't think Brad was giving it his all either (not from the way he took off when I caught him).

As well, consider the passing traffic that SSer's have to deal with at O cups. Strategically dealing (or not dealing) with the 1st wave of slow sport riders can make or break a race. I know that making smart passes at this point helped me out in many races.

Consider as well, that no matter what, an Ocup is still simply an Olympic format MTB race. I do NOT think this is the best way to determine a SS champion. I am envisioning multiple events in one day, and a point system to determine the winner. Take it back to 1988 you know what I'm saying? Kinda like what Poisonfrog was trying to do last year, but no lame gearies allowed.

Hell, Lee, you wanna take this one on?

We can make a 2 speed category just for you.

Andrew

rad to the power of sick
    Man...you singlespeeders are a riot. So much angst against us gear and shifter folk.

Perhaps you could talk to the chico guys.. they probably have all teh infrastructure set up for event organization. Something modest like a 3 or 4 race series would be doable, with the last event being the 'championship'

Following the O-Cup circuit, but running events on Saturdays is another plausible option. This way you keep the gearies whom you loathe away, and you have your SS only event on Saturday. Of course, the Chico guys probably have their hands full with the OCup, so some extra hands/leadership/organization would be required...

hmmm...look what 30$ and some rummaging around my garage/ shop got me.

fugly as fug. but it has one gear, and means i can associate with you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth

Hell, Lee, you wanna take this one on?

We can make a 2 speed category just for you.

Andrew

i appreciate the lone category, some one doesn't want to get beat by a dingle speed be my guess....jk!

i would love to take on something like that, only problem is time dude. Find me one good reliable employee and I would jump on doing events again. seriously, someone find me one good employee!

mtbr member
    I would just like to think that SS as a niche is continuing to grow to a point where it could support its own events. There I really have no animosity toward anyone riding a geared bike. In fact I did it my self for a spell last season. Albeit 1x9. 27 speeds are so 1999.

But Aaron you are a good example of the theoretical guy I am referring to. You are fast, and racing expert. Would you race SS in lieu of expert? Or even tax your legs on the Saturday before?

I think maybe an Ocup parallel series could do well if run as a preride/race on the Thursday. Great workout before raceday, people out preriding anyway, could even be run informally for elite/expert types.

But really, I want a sh!tshow style one day festival as well. With mandatory branding/ tattoo prizing.

Lee?

A

mtbr member
    This would be awesome, although I think it would be cooler if it was its own event, rather than piggy backing on Winter WOW.

I think open category like bigwheelboy said would be best, definitely more about the event. The Ocup already covers the ultra serious end of the spectrum. This could be more like many of the other SS "championships" I suppose, more about the fun factor and pooling together of singlespeed people, rather than a whole qualifying proceedure etc. I like the idea of multiple events in one day.

There are lots of other places that don't really hold too many races over the season that could be an interesting venue (Buckwallow, Hydrocut, Kopeland forest, Puslynch)?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    There are lots of other places that don't really hold too many races over the season that could be an interesting venue (Buckwallow, Hydrocut, Kopeland forest, Puslynch)?
    Just the thought of having a race at Puslinch makes me shudder. Call me selfish but I absolutely do not want to see freight trains of racers tearing up some of the purest single track in Southern Ontario. (Sorry to go off topic.)
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Just the thought of having a race at Puslinch makes me shudder. Call me selfish but I absolutely do not want to see freight trains of racers tearing up some of the purest single track in Southern Ontario. (Sorry to go off topic.)
    it would need to be somewhere with infrastructure already built in, if you wanted to do it right anyway.

ridden there once sick as a dog on a hot day. i would love to go back when feeling good one day.

Misfit Psycles
    Thank you all for your interest.
    In an attempt to maintain mental simplicity, aesthetics and control the pet population I have declared myself the viktor and champion.
    carlo2.jpg
    Your participant medals are in the mail.

Veteran I appreciate the thought, something underground, something different, something outrageous... Look at what's happened the SSWC...I am going, are you? Do I reflect the best Ontario has to offer or did I get lucky with a flick of the mouse? Championships are a dime-a-dozen and often don't represent.

The point is, the harder we try to organize the less relevant our indifference is, then again, even if we are successful the indifference in itself is compliance to the stereo-type isn't it?

We have a great vehicle in the ss ocup category. Until the 2007 season I detested the ocup scene...lining up (or the refusal to) on those sundays far exceeded expectations and was a great cross-section of the category.

If you are serious about doing something single speedy, lets piggyback the organization and preparedness that is the ocup ss category...we dont need to confine it to the 3 laps...pick the venue that will give us the best attendance...co-ordinate well in advance...make sure it is the biggest category of the day - then we can have a group jump point - ride to the race from a parking lot - ride from the race to a pub - do a tour - tp ruppels house...whatever...make a day of it but let someone else take care of the course and insurance.

Mutated minds so full of hate
    Tried again to change the system
    But this time round it was too late
    There was no system left to change
    The people ran the entire land
    The subverts became politicians
    And finally got the upper hand...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

rad to the power of sick
    where is that quote from?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    where is that quote from?
    Day.jpg
    Subvert City

After further review, this time focusing on the reading part, I see that you are looking to supplement your existing expert o-cup obligations by moving your desire to compete ss to another day. that failed to sink in on first review...

Not sure you will get the beers'n'chillin atmosphere you are looking for by linking the race to an ocup preride (if its safe to assume you are hoping for that cross over crowd), but I could be wrong.

My offer still stands for a singlespeed festivus, that is if we can tie it to an ocup. I'll organize anarchy but I'm not timing men in tights.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty
    I can honestly say I quite enjoyed racing my SS at the Fly Gurlz 10 hour Relay race last year... my time was pretty good considering it was my first race ever!

I'm game for singlespeed festivus... what the hell... I ain't got nothing to lose... I just want to finish...

would be nice to see how many other female SS riders come out...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that pic is disturbing, and i am not talking about the band either!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    Veteran I appreciate the thought, something underground, something different, something outrageous... Look at what's happened the SSWC...I am going, are you? Do I reflect the best Ontario has to offer or did I get lucky with a flick of the mouse?
    I'll be there too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's official The ultimate Xc Single Speed Championship will open registration Friday the 14th at 8.00 am

http://www.ultimatexc.com/sschamp.html

TO might be a fair distance, but for the one of you that came down to do the Winter Challenge, knows that I can deliver pain on a Silver platter.

Hope to see you there

Dan

Evil Jr.
    Oh ya, if you're into suffering, cramping and snot running down your jersey, Dan's your man.