mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ontario Cup #6 - Highlands Nordic

For 2013 we have redesigned the course, added over 500m of new single track and added a few new features to keep everyone sharp.

Pre riding is open this coming weekend, Sunday August 11th, 9:00am to 4:00pm. The pre ride fee is $10 paid at the lower part of the chalet.

Race Weekend; Pre Riding starts,

Friday August 16th, 4:00pm to 8:00pm

Saturday August 17th, 9:00am to 4:00pm

Highlands Nordic is Located 10km South of Collingwood off HWY. #124
    1-1/4 hours North of Toronto Airport

Just up the hill from Duntroon

GPS Co-ordinates

N: 44degrees 22 950 W: 080 13 456

OR

17 T 0561486 UTM4914557

OR

1182 Nottawasaga Concession 10 S

Duntroon, ON L0M 1H0

Mike
    Last edited by dunc27; 08-08-2013 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I hope you meant the pre-riding this weekend is Sunday August 11. That's what the Superfly website says and I know of at least a couple large groups/clubs that are going on Sunday.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I have a few friends heading up Sunday as well.

I'll be up on race weekend to preride Saturday and commissar on Sunday. Should be a great weekend.

Is there still camping onsite?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It will now be open this Sunday 9-4, and there will be camping on Friday and Saturday night on the race weekend.

mtbr member

Course Map

Well, the course map is up ...And I can't help myself in suggesting that not posting one at all is better than this...Looking forward to riding it tomorrow to get a real idea what it's like as this looks like one of my five year's old's maps. If the GPS profile is worth posting, I will post it!

http://www.superflyracing.com/wp-con...e-Map-2013.pdf
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Well, the course map is up ...And I can't help myself in suggesting that not posting one at all is better than this...Looking forward to riding it tomorrow to get a real idea what it's like as this looks like one of my five year's old's maps. If the GPS profile is worth posting, I will post it!

http://www.superflyracing.com/wp-con...e-Map-2013.pdf
    lol it does look alittle ummm abstract...that was a tough course. the fist half just killed me with the 33tooth chain ring. The amount of climbing isn't obvious until you are almost to the top trying to figure out why your legs aren't wanting to work. the new single track sections are great, fast and a little sketchy in spots. But that adds to the fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am right in thinking that the other then the 9am the course is the same for all? Son of a pitch and the rock drop ect.

mtbr member
    Nope, you've missed another 1:30 section that goes through a rocky creek overpass and is manageable, but requires some finesse to do properly. Also, the switchback downhill with the jump near the chalet has only ever been part of the 1:30 course. So I expect they'll be some separation there. However, I could be wrong. First half of the course is mostly uphill, and the second half mostly down. It's great at practice pace. At race pace, the front half of the course is going to be an energy zap.

New sections are awesome. You can rip most of them save for the one rock drop that you have to be watching for about 3/4 of the way through the course. I nearly went OTB there at high speed on lap one today not realizing it was coming.

As usual, this is a course that deserves respect with the rock and root bits and small nuances to riding it fast. I don't care much for the long rock garden in reverse after going uphill for almost a km, but that's racing and I will hike it if necessary being it won't be much slower to do that.

All in all, well done by Scott Holmes and Mike Duncan and I am sure a few others to put together. Great venue to race at as usual, and looking forward to next weekend!

Here's some GPS data from my ride today. Easier to follow if you did the course today, but there's lot's of trail side by side, that you can't see on this.

by at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That dam rock drop 3/4 through the lap almost killed me 3 times lol. I just forgot about it untill it was there and I was going to fast.

The rock garden at the top of the climb will be hike-a-bike for me. Just cant carry the speed on the uphill to make good time. Running was quicker for me.

Mabye it was the 3 weeks off the bike, but this feels like the most demanding course this year!

mtbr member
    I am with you on the rock garden reversed from last year. I rode half way up it once, but decided that running it will be just as fast for me. And if you're in a train and one guy steps up, everyone will be running it.

I don't find this the most demanding course of the year. The climbing is more tolerable than say some of Mansfield, Sir Sams, and the last third of the Canada Cup course at Hardwood. It will definitely be different at race pace, but the back half of the course if mostly downhill save for a few short climbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome course and just as challenging in its own right as the others. The New Trail is so much fun! The first half will definitely be taxing at race pace. I'm sorry to miss it next weekend as Craig and I will be in New Hampshire for a 100 miler. Good luck to everyone racing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I am right in thinking that the other then the 9am the course is the same for all? Son of a pitch and the rock drop ect.

Son of a Pitch, the switch backs and rock drop at the chalet will all be in for the 9:00am race.

The log/rock drop by the chalet has a go around to the right side.

Just before the uphill rock garden (best feature in this years course) the 9:00am race turns left, cuts across to the downhill section and returns back to the chalet.

As you cut across the flat section just before the chalet on the way down all races make a right turn into single track except for the 1:30 race, they continue straight for a little more climbing.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome. Just wanted to make sure i was riding the right course!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Awesome. Just wanted to make sure i was riding the right course!
    oh, did you pre-ride Horseshoe already by mistake?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No no. Just wasnt sure if I was riding 1:30 features instead of 11:45.

mtbr member
    It does not look like I will be able to race. I just went through the worst food poisoning episode in my life. Without getting into the ugly details, I am now recovering, but have severe gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) and can barely eat without pain. It is hard to believe that a week ago I was racing the 8 hour epic and now I can barely get up the stairs without feeling exhausted. But then I probably consumed only 400 calories over the last 3 days.

At least I got to ride the course last Sunday.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I just went through the worst food poisoning episode in my life. Without getting into the ugly details...
    This is one of those rare times when I will refrain from using the phrase "pics or it didn't happen".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    This is one of those rare times when I will refrain from using the phrase "pics or it didn't happen".
    I am sure it is a favour to all readers.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's awful. I've had food poisoning two times and that was enough to stop me from eating out at restaurants ever again. Hope you are feeling better soon, Tom.

As for the course, I rode it on Sunday too. Wasn't sure I liked it after riding my first lap but then I had a blast on it the second time around.
    High on Life

mtbr member

Ontario Cup #6 - Highlands Nordic

Thanks racergurl. It is a real slow recovery. I managed about 800 calories yesterday, but the stomach acted like I ate a buffalo. So much freaking pain. Also I lost weight (am under 140 lbs) and weaker than a child.

I also enjoyed the course after the first lap. It grows on you, because it is so different from a Mansfield, for example.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

sock puppet
    wow... one of the most MTB courses that I have raced on ever. kudos go to course designers Scott and Mike - this course kept everyone honest...

from relentless climbing (first 12-13 minutes were all climbing - give or take) and then the singletrack heaven with fast, technical descents and tight spots, rocky fast lines, creek crossing with lethal wet off camber roots who took out many a rider and one of our own - LeHair who had to thank his helmet for getting up and with bloody mellon he finished the race like a pro...

the weather and course conditions were perfect, cant imagine better racing conditions.

many familiar faces partaking in this race - congrats to every one who finished and those who podiumed... what an awesome day in the saddle...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fun day!! Most challenging course for me so far. They did a great job of having a bit of everything in there.

mtbr member
    Loved the course, thought it was super fun and was certainly a lot tougher at race pace.

Unfortunately I only got to do one lap, ended up breaking something internally in my fork on the rock drop/jump near the chalet going out for the second lap. Not sure what happened, everything felt smooth, but It was suitably FUBAR'd that I didn't want to continue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My son and I raced yesterday. first o-cup for both of us. Great singletrack! fun course. Friendly people. Both of us had a great time, and look forward to more.