Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

.Ontario coroner to probe cycling deaths

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Doored to death, that one. Here in Toronto we know that comes with a mandatory $90 fine, plus the victim surcharge, for a grand total of about $110 and no demerit points. I suspect many in Ottawa were surprised to learn of this.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Gee... so I'm not delusional?
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Evil Jr.
    The last report was pretty thorough and dramatically under-implemented. They could save themselves some time and just change the date on the front page...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    The last report was pretty thorough and dramatically under-implemented. They could save themselves some time and just change the date on the front page...
    Since I'm lazy and to busy enjoying some Guinness at work you have a link? Googling would take to much work.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Evil Jr.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    When I commute, I have a series of axioms running through my head. One of them is "trucks are death". I will never lane-share with, or filter next to, a truck that has open wheels. Now I remember how I came to that axiom:

Quote Originally Posted by Coroner's Report
    A different picture emerged when an analysis of vehicle type by licensed class was applied to the 38 cyclist fatalities. While Class G vehicles still accounted for the majority of fatal collisions, large vehicles were involved in 37 per cent of collisions resulting in cyclist fatalities (compared with only eight per cent of collisions resulting in cyclist injuries). This difference must be attributed to an increased likelihood of cyclist fatality in collisions with large vehicles. For example, there was one cyclist fatality for every 125 non-fatal collisions involving large vehicles (Class A, B, C, D and M) as opposed to one cyclist fatality for every 488 non-fatal collisions involving Class G motor vehicles. Thus, it appears that a cyclist's collision with a large vehicle is approximately four times more likely to result in cyclist fatality than a cyclist's collision with a Class G vehicle.
    Other axioms include: Taxis are out to kill you; avoid any trucks with lettering on them (especially lettering that advertises a construction company); running a light is a good way to die; BMWs are aggressive; Volvos and Mercedes are not; never assume that someone will not cut you off.

These axioms may not be true 100% of the time, and they may not be for everyone, everywhere, but they get me home safe.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Doored to death, that one. Here in Toronto we know that comes with a mandatory $90 fine, plus the victim surcharge, for a grand total of about $110 and no demerit points. I suspect many in Ottawa were surprised to learn of this.
    Yes, for crying out loud i can't believe all the doorings and near doorings i see in Toronto. People need to stop flinging the door open blindly just because the lane marker is a few feet away and traffic won't rip your door off!

There was another study done by the coroner probably a decade about, with numerous recommendations... however as i understand none of these findings will be binding in anyway - at least it seems that way since most of the last probe's findings were left in the floor.

Evil Jr.
    In not unrelated news, my favourite show, Canada's Worst Driver, starts up again for a new season tonight at 10PM on Discovery.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    In not unrelated news, my favourite show, Canada's Worst Driver, starts up again for a new season tonight at 10PM on Discovery.
    Why watch it when I live it every commute to work?

bi-winning
    That show is terrifying.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    That show is terrifying.
    As is Canada's Worst Handyman. If you ever wonder why hand tools have all those safety & warning labels on them, well, watch the show.

I'm actually rather surprised that no one's gotten Darwin'd yet on those shows.

As for doorings, one of the things I learned in my brief bike messenger stint is to look at the sideview mirror on all parked cars. If you see a face in the mirror, assume that the driver will attempt to door you or drive into you and ride accordingly.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    That show is terrifying.
    It's a pretty sobering look into what's all around you on the road out there.

Among many, many memorable drivers, Donna from Season 4 was probably my favourite. Nominated by her son and suffering from angina, she tried to claim that she only drove drunk on her way to bingo...

namagomi
    Here is the spoiler, distracted driving is through the roof.. txt'n people crash into everything. From a safety and performance standpoint i heard it's like slamming 3 beers and buckling up.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    BMWs are aggressive
    I swear if we removed beemers and white contracting vans from the road, 90% of my 'incidents' would disappear with them.

Evil Jr.
    True to form, last night's episode of Canada's Worst Driver featured the usual panoply of malcontents, psychopaths and menaces that's made the show so dear to me. Honestly, every time I watch this show, I wonder how more people don't die on the roads every year!

mtbr member
    ...BMWs are aggressive; Volvos and Mercedes are not....
    I dunno.... BMW drivers might seem more aggressive than some, especially on the highway, but as a cyclist, I've had more close calls with inattentive soccer moms/dads in minivans/SUVs/station wagons in a rush -- to whom I appear invisible -- and blue collar redneck types in pickup trucks who actually DO see me and either don't give a crap or believe bikes don't belong on roads.

But I'm totally with you on axioms. Mine are: 1) Assume every driver making a turn at an intersection doesn't see you; 2) Every parked auto is a potential dooring and every auto approaching from behind nearing an intersection is a potential right-hook waiting to happen, so ride just far enough out from the curb to prevent either. Sure, it will upset some motorists wanting to pass, but I value my life and well being more than the convenience of saving them a few seconds on their drive to work.

I Strava Hamburgers
    True to form, last night's episode of Canada's Worst Driver featured the usual panoply of malcontents, psychopaths and menaces that's made the show so dear to me. Honestly, every time I watch this show, I wonder how more people don't die on the roads every year!

I refuse to believe the show is real. Please tell me its not real
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Remember the guy a few seasons back who brake checked tractor trailers because they pissed him off? I've seen that happen on the 401, except it ended in a Darwin when the truck just ran him over. And back when I worked in a bike shop, we saw a guy cave in the entire side of a customer's car while attempting to pull out of a parking space. Having seen real life examples of the stupidity that goes down in the show I'm pretty sure it's real.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    The cast of characters is a bit formulaic (the bimbo, the speed demon, the texter, the befuddled granny, the panicky lady, the angry mom, the ambiguous sexuality guy...) but it's always entertaining. It's hard to believe some of these people ever earned their licenses in the first place!

namagomi
    The cast of characters is a bit formulaic (the bimbo, the speed demon, the texter, the befuddled granny, the panicky lady, the angry mom, the ambiguous sexuality guy...) but it's always entertaining. It's hard to believe some of these people ever earned their licenses in the first place!
    I'm just waiting for the host to get run-over...

BTW, volvo is statistically the most likely luxury brand car to be involved in an accident. It makes sense since people buy them because they're safe - i.e. crashing into something is first and foremost on their mind, perhaps they even plan on it. I think the same thing sorta goes for soccer moms in SUV - daddy thinks baby needs something big because mommy is a scary ass driver. Or something... It's not like you ever get to see these drivers coming, only afterwards does it make more sense. Maybe i'm bitter about large cars because on multiple occasions i've almost been turned into a smear of "lipstick" on the road by fabulous women in gigantic luxury SUVs who are seriously putting that makeup allover their face instead of watching where their mirrors are or they're just txt'n away or digging through that gigantic ass handbag. If you ask me they should be painting bozo the clown on their faces instead!

namagomi
    Cycling safety issues.

Apparently a group of "experts" the Canadian safety council, think using a cell phone, listening to music and not wearing a helmet are the significant factors for cyclists being run-over. Not right-hooks and doorings... as the hospital admissions note.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I swear if we removed beemers and white contracting vans from the road, 90% of my 'incidents' would disappear with them.
    lol how true... though the blinged out luxury pick-up with the useless rigid tonneau cover is a close third in my neck of the woods.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The Canadian safety council? Never heard of it.

Sidewalks and unpaved off-road trails have the highest risks.
    That hasn't been my experience at all. I've never been hit by a car on the sidewalk or off-road. Golly, I sure hope we aren't paying for this blatantly disingenuous safety advice with our taxpayer dollars.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast