Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

ok so I bought a fat bike

I had a look at the Pugs, Norco, Muk and some other brand they carry at Bike Zone. Once I put a leg over the Beargrease, it was all over. ended up driving to Port Colborne and met AJ who is a very nice guy. I will have to head over to that area and check the trails out there. it has the x9 drive train and bb7's. I already changed the bar to a carbon race face. I also have a set of xo's i might put on at some point for bling factor as I know the bb7 to be a reliable and effective brake. I will be vising BCD soon after the Holidays. This dump of snow could not have come at a better time. My titanium gravel grinder is now officially on the back burner for a while. Oggie was right!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ok so I bought a fat bike-img_0185.jpg  

Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Woo hoo! welcome to the club, you won't regret your investment!!!! Their an absolute blast. If you're ever in the Barrie area there's a large group of us with fatties that ride regularly if you'd like a guide

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    From "I am going to look at fat bikes" to "I bought a fat bike" in 3 days, congratulations!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    From "I am going to look at fat bikes" to "I bought a fat bike" in 3 days, congratulations!
    yup, that easy...

congrats secret agent - we should promote you to agent Bond. James Beargrease Bond.

on unrelated note - we had a great fat ride today morning at Agreement forest. -15, felt like -22. it was awesome.
    Signature

Muskoka
    Sweet ride Cesar!!! Congratulations ...and that's a common experience. When I walked in and saw my Pugs for the first time I knew I wasn't leaving without it!
    But wow looking at these bikes ..I'm feeling so old school now with my '05 Pugs riding the original Endomorphs!! Maybe I'm just plain feeling old...turn 62 tomorrow lol!!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I will be vising BCD soon after the Holidays. This dump of snow could not have come at a better time. My titanium gravel grinder is now officially on the back burner for a while. Oggie was right!
    Oggie is always right! I need switch to winter pedals on the fatbike, get my skis waxed, etc etc. The dump of snow here was 2 ft plus in 3 days, on top of what we already had!! Sled trails are groomed! The cold temps last night and today will firm things up and freeze any slush patches. Blue and I have managed to get out snowshoeing a few times in the evenings...

mtbr member
    Happy birthday! I will post up tomorrow after my first proper ride.
    That first pic is awesome. Looking forward to a
    Ride up there.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Congrats!! Im loving all these fat bikes.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Congratulations on the new ride and welcome to the sickness! And Happy Birthday, BCD!

Yesterday in Palgrave...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ok so I bought a fat bike-palgrave-16-c-003.jpg  

Evil Jr.
    That looks sweet! I like the build too - the white-on-black is sharp! Congratulations!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I took it out today to the Culham trail along the Credit River. It is only a few minutes ride from the house. I love the bike and fat biking. I think I need a little more pressure in the back. it felt a little bouncy. I'll have to play around with pressure, cadence and gearing and get used to the handling. Generally I have never ridden snow like this before. Climbing is a chore and a half and I have not figured out the gearing. Even with those tires, steeeper things seem impossible right now. While the trails here seem a bit short in the summer, they are long enough and a hell of a workout in the snow. The snow is pretty deep and powdery anywhere except on the main path. I got a lot of looks and stopped 3 times. Two of the times by a snow shoer and an XC skier who both bike in the summer. They absolutely loved the bike and the whole concept. I am a serious convert. I am going to get out a few more times and get things tweaked and then I'll be contacting a few people to find some good spots. I think we are going to need a fat bike riding conditions thread. Hey GM, you are right about the build. it is awesome, but pictures don't do it justice. The shape of the tubes and especially the fork are sexy as hell. Next weekend it's the Agreemement Forest..........YeaH! I am now back in the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ok so I bought a fat bike-img_0188.jpg  

ok so I bought a fat bike-img_0190.jpg  

Burnt Norton

Muskoka
    I think I need a little more pressure in the back. it felt a little bouncy. I'll have to play around with pressure, cadence and gearing and get used to the handling. Generally I have never ridden snow like this before. Climbing is a chore and a half and I have not figured out the gearing. Even with those tires, steeeper things seem impossible right now.
    Hard to tell from here but if bouncy you might have too much pressure in the tires. That would also give you lots of trouble steering,tracking and climbing in snow. Think Jeepers airing down their tires to go off road..tires should be spreading a bit with your weight on the bike. When I squeeze/ push the side wall I like mine to feel like a rare/ medium rare steak in winter and well done in the summer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    When I squeeze/ push the side wall I like mine to feel like a rare/ medium rare steak in winter and well done in the summer!
    Best tire pressure reference quote ever!

mtbr member
    You might be quite right on that point. I will adjust down.
    I have a couple of small tweaks, but getting that pressure right
    Will be the key to a great ride.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    If you aren't used to the fatbike, run pressures you'd never even consider. If your side wall isn't folding at least a bit, that's way to high for soft snow conditions. It does make a huge difference.

On my cheap, digital gauge, I was 'firm' last week at 6.6 lbs riding regular trails. I dropped to about 3-4 psi today, which was okay, then dropped to what I'm guessing was about 2.5 and that hooked up. (these pressures are relative, not sure how good my gauge).

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Good rule of thumb I read somewhere is, "when in doubt, let air out."

mtbr member
    You might be quite right on that point. I will adjust down.
    I have a couple of small tweaks, but getting that pressure right
    Will be the key to a great ride.
    The pressure will very for every type of snow condition and temperature. Last year I put 8 lbs in the tires at 20c in the house, loaded the bike in the van. In the morning the tire pressure was 5 lbs at -18c. One lbs can make a very noticeable difference on these bikes.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

Evil Jr.
    Yep, as soon as I read "bouncy", I thought "too much pressure". Even on a regular 29er in the snow, I'm getting down to silly-low pressures like 15lbs.

Have fun!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I didn't realize that you would run that low even on the fat bike. I think I was just under 15 psi, depending on the accuracy of the gauge on my bike pump. This is apparently a travesty for a fat bike. I was having both steering and bouncing issues, so I will run way lower. My concern when I headed out was that if I was too low, it might take 3 hours of pumping to put any kind of air with my little hand pump into those things.
    Burnt Norton

sock puppet
    I didn't realize that you would run that low even on the fat bike. I think I was just under 15 psi, depending on the accuracy of the gauge on my bike pump. This is apparently a travesty for a fat bike. I was having both steering and bouncing issues, so I will run way lower. My concern when I headed out was that if I was too low, it might take 3 hours of pumping to put any kind of air with my little hand pump into those things.
    Eek. 15psi - no good. Very bad.
    I am 200 pounds riding weight. Running 8-9 psi when in the rock (to prevent pinch flats). If no rocks - around 7psi is my sweet spot.

It changes eveything. You will feel loke double wow when you lower the pressure to required level.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Yeah, I should be flogged for my transgression! I knew I did not have things right and would be corrected here. I want to leave work and try that now. I might have to buy some lights so I can go ride trails at night. This bike has changed how I look at my winter riding. We have a long MUP along the Queesway that runs a good 10 km. Now I am hoping it does not get plowed. I need to find something I can ride at night during the week where there are lights. Does the waterfront trail get plowed? Any suggestions for places with some light near Mississauga/Etobicoke would be nice.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    No need for lights last night or tonight. The moon is casting shadows.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Once I put a leg over the Beargrease, it was all over. ended up driving to Port Colborne and met AJ who is a very nice guy. I will have to head over to that area and check the trails out there.
    Sweet bike!
    If you want to check out the trails we have a race (if you're into that sort of thing) there in February with a fatbike category. Maybe you've heard about it. thefrostbike.ca

And yes, Pedal is a sponsor of the event. Of course the race is less about racing and more about getting together and having a few drinks.

mtbr member
    AJ told me about this. And also about the six pack races. Too bad I am a scotch drinker.
    I don't think I am quite ready to race a fat bike yet. I don't even know how to pump the tires properly.
    Burnt Norton

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    The Frostbike ~ Winter Mountain Bike Race website is actually located at Details | thefrostbike.com and not what thedumbopinion posted.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast