Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ok so I am going to look at fat bikes

I am still not convinced about the fat bike, but I want to go and look at some. Apart from the PUG, which is in at under 2K, is there anything out there I should be looking at. I think all the Salsa offerings are a bit more money. I don't really care about components all that much. I have a lot of higher end stuff that can go on the bike as things break or wear out. I don't want to go with Norco though. Damn you Oggie,BCD and the rest of you enablers.
    Burnt Norton

ups and downs
    Kona has a fat bike now. KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | FATBIKE | WO
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    If anyone knows of LBS in the GTA with bikes in stock, please let me know. I really need to get a leg over a couple of them. It will save me running around and doing a lot of calling.

Much appreciated.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've seen the Kona, not a bad lookin' bike - weird handlebars, and if I recall not a whole lot of braze-ons. Priced along side the Pugs if memory serves.

The Pugs is nice - the swiss army knife of fat bikes I guess. Rode one (used) bought it for a day and returned it. (the fit was off). So I too am circling around the fatty's.

If riding one is not paramount before purchase - i hate to recommend something I haven't tried - but folks are pretty happy with their Motobecanes... If I can't find a used Pugs that fits, it may be the route I go.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    If anyone knows of LBS in the GTA with bikes in stock, please let me know. I really need to get a leg over a couple of them. It will save me running around and doing a lot of calling.

Much appreciated.
    Rock and Road Cycle in Burlington has a couple large and medium pugsley's in stock.

As an FYI, I was talking to the owner of Rock and Road, not sure what stock is like for other other manufacturers, but it doesn't seem like Surly has anything left to deliver. Last year, once the snow started flying, the calls start coming in and they flew off the shelf.

I had a friend who had to drive to huntsville to get his last year in January (this year probably won't be that bad), but if any one is truly interested in a fatbike, you'll stand a way better chance of seeing a few, trying them out before winter really sets in.

Muskoka
    If it was me looking to get in on a budget I would have the Norco Bigfoot top of my list. They go for ~$1500 and I know several people have bought them this year, they are probably flying out the door. It's a sharp looking bike. After Bigfoot, next up on my list would be the good old Surly Pugsley. My MY2005 still puts a smile on my face every time I throw a leg over.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 12-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    It's all about feel on a bike for me. I have never seemed to do well on Norcos. Not the fit or feel I like. I liked the feel on your PUG for the 5 minutes I was on it. I am going to have to do some research. Hopefully I can get out to a couple of shops this weekend. Just a really busy time of the year to have a look around. I am pretty sure I can zip into Burlington to have a look this weekend.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Pedal Bicycle Shop | in Niagara 1.5hrs from Toronto

Give AJ a call. He has Salsa Fat Bikes in stock and lots of tires. He was an early adpoter both selling and riding fatbikes for several years.

Muskoka
    . Damn you Oggie,BCD and the rest of you enablers.
    Hey.....I didn't say anything!!!!!??

have fun

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

humber river advocate
    Here’s my take on fat bikes, your millage may vary…
    Bought an on-one fatty frame to build up… for a couple of reasons
    -front suspension corrected geometry
    -asymmetrical rear end
    -shorter chain stays
    -overall geometry that fits me better
    -aluminum
    -really good price
    I stayed away from carbon because of possible salt corrosion/delamination issues regarding the aluminum/carbon interfaces in the bb, etc. A custom steel/ti was just to pricey (for now). I didn’t buy a complete bike because none came with the wheel set and suspension fork that I wanted. My tire size will be limited to 4.0. I feel any bigger tire won’t really help me when there is a lot of snow since the paths won’t be packed down. My rim width is also limited to 47mm to save rotational weight and to provide a more rounded profile for riding in the spring/fall and to the trail head.

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Damn you Oggie,BCD and the rest of you enablers.
    Another. This was a day when fatty was king.

Muskoka
    Holy crap!! Everybody has been bitten by the fatbike bug this season! Finally!!!....lol

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Holy crap!! Everybody has been bitten by the fatbike bug this season! Finally!!!....lol
    No...just waiting for the upgraditis to take effect next year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wanted a OnOne fatty so bad since I've got several of their bikes. But the duty and taxes on a complete bike made it more or less the same price as buying locally and fat bike components are so expensive I didn't think I could build a bare frame for a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    I don't want to go with Norco though.
    I wouldn't dismiss Norco that fast. My buddy bought one and is loving it. Apparently the bigfoot is a joint effort with a Finish (I think I have the country right) bike company. My kind of bike Fat Bike Growler Style - The Fat Bike Brewery Run - YouTube I suspect that many of these bikes are going to be sold out. I do know of a used Pugsley (medium) for sale, not me.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    I would definitely consider a used one, but it would need to be large. I don't think there are that many out there. I think It will be between a PUG, NORCO or Mukluk, if I can find one at a good price. I have to go out and ride them. The NORCO would be fine if it fits well. Thanks for the suggestions and confirming what I have been finding out in my online search. I like the look of the Salsa's best, but that does not mean it will fit properly. They are also a little higher price, but I might have to bite the bullet and drive out to Niagara.
    Burnt Norton

humber river advocate
    yup, took a while, but was just a matter of time.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Muskoka
    I might have to bite the bullet and drive out to Niagara.
    If you come to Muskoka you can probably test ride at least the Surly, Salsa, Norco, Kona, 9ZERO7, and Borealis offerings on snow all within at most a half hrs drive

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    yup, took a while, but was just a matter of time.
    Nice...I was getting worried!! lol And what about Cyclelicious?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm pretty sure the last email I got from Chico Racing was that they have Fat Bike rentals up at Hardwood... Yup, found the email... says:

"Fat Bikes are available for rent, or use, Monday to Friday"

I'm heading out the door, but can post a screen shot of the email if wanted later this evening.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oxygen Bikes in Etobicoke has a Norco Bigfoot that's available for demo rides. It's hard to say if the fit & geometry will work for you but it doesn't hurt to try. To me at least, fat bike fit & handling is different enough from normal bikes that my usual preconceptions on brands & fits go out the window.

mtbr member
    Hardwood Hills as of today has KHS fatbike rentals provided by Bike Zone in Barrie. Their a very affordable option as is the Kona (both offered at Bike Zone). I'm kind of partial to my 9 Zero 7 as you can see from Black Canoe Dog's photo up above of me on my 1st fatbike ride with the Gravenhurst crew. I loved the bike so much in the winter & in the summer that I purchased Rabbit hole rims and Knards to enjoy it in the summer

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardw...ke/47385438639
    Last edited by Merdoff; 12-11-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: adding link

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bike dealers in Ontario must love this fat bike boom.

humber river advocate
    Nice...I was getting worried!! lol And what about Cyclelicious?
    we will test the build and she will ride it. then build the 2nd one. we have a big trip happening in 2014 so we have to spread it out. fat bikes just make so much sense for us for 6 months a year. plus all the trails advocacy i'm involved with... winter riding has in the past been seen as a fringe activity (i've been at it over 20 years), now it's becoming main stream. so in all the trail plans i'm involved with i want fat biking to be included. i.e. a groomed winter fat bike trails etc...

here's a fun vid

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2jMN9TIxYgs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    Dukes has a couple of fatbikes in stock (large and medium) by a British company called Charge. I don't know anything about the manufacturer but they are priced at around $1700
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I am going out this weekend and check out some shops. I may just come home with an early Christmas gift. I am liking the look and geo of the Mukluk. Anyone know of any shops closer to Toronto than Niagara that have Salsa in stock? Thanks for the heads up the bikes at Dukes, but I have not heard of them at all and I am already out of my comfort zone with fat bikes, so I think I will stick with some local brands.
    Burnt Norton

Muskoka
    lol...how many times have I said..." Honey, don't bother getting me anything for Christmas, I have already picked myself up something"

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I am going out this weekend and check out some shops. I may just come home with an early Christmas gift. I am liking the look and geo of the Mukluk. Anyone know of any shops closer to Toronto than Niagara that have Salsa in stock? Thanks for the heads up the bikes at Dukes, but I have not heard of them at all and I am already out of my comfort zone with fat bikes, so I think I will stick with some local brands.
    Its worth the drive to Niagara!

I know PEDAL in Port Colborne now has Muk 2's and 3's in stock and some Beargrease X9 carbons showed up yesterday.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Just spoke to them. They only have one large Mukluk in stock right now. Hopefully it will be there on the weekend. I am not going above that budget no matter what carbon they throw at me. Still have to go to Burlington to check out their selection of PUGs as well.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I picked up a Norco Bigfoot last week and can't wipe the grin off my face after riding it all weekend. FWIW they fit on the small side, I usually ride 19-20" frames but fit perfectly on an XL Bigfoot (6' tall, 33" inseam). If you're in the GTA and having trouble finding one to test ride you are welcome to take mine for a spin (Richmond Hill). I'll be riding AF/HF on Sunday morning as well, the snow dump we're supposed to get on Saturday should make for great fatbike testing conditions.

I was also looking at the On-One but after shipping/duty it would work out to the same as buying the Bigfoot from my LBS, plus the Bigfoot comes with wider rims.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Just spoke to them. They only have one large Mukluk in stock right now. Hopefully it will be there on the weekend. I am not going above that budget no matter what carbon they throw at me. Still have to go to Burlington to check out their selection of PUGs as well.
    If you do end up at Pedal with a Mukluk bring your riding gear and ride the Hood right from the shop. You will be able to follow our tracks from last nights group ride. You will not regret buying a fatbike. I love my Muk and have a set of 29" wheels for it. I mount some racks and it serves as my rail trail commuter for the warm weather.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    The fit, finish and handling on the new Salsa's are terrific.
    PEDAL sold out of the Surly's (Pugs, Pugs OPS and Moonlander's) a few months ago before the Salsa's arrived.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    just to tempt you with some fatty carbon...

Ok so I am going to look at fat bikes-fatty_carbon2.jpg

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A carbon fat bike would worry me. Riding too fast with poor traction is what fat biking is all about. Low speed falls are part of fat biking and from what I've read, the most dangerous for carbon frames.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    apparently it is around 30 pounds too, not bad... price?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Hey.....I didn't say anything!!!!!??

have fun
    pffft... enabler...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Its worth the drive to Niagara!

I know PEDAL in Port Colborne now has Muk 2's and 3's in stock and some Beargrease X9 carbons showed up yesterday.
    mmmmm..... BEARGREASE.... Secret Agent - run to your car and step on it on the way to Port Colborne... X9 Beargrease is awesome and rides much like a regular skinny tire MTB... NO KIDDING...
    Signature

sock puppet
    I am not going above that budget no matter what carbon they throw at me.
    if you touch it, you will buy it.

wanna bet?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    A carbon fat bike would worry me. Riding too fast with poor traction is what fat biking is all about. Low speed falls are part of fat biking and from what I've read, the most dangerous for carbon frames.
    huh??? i can't disagree more. after riding carbon bike for the last 4 summers/winters at Hilton Falls/Agreement forest and taking carbon fat bike to the same area. Still have not broken one. I guess i am just lucky... Cause I know I ain't THAT good...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    just to tempt you with some fatty carbon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatty_carbon2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	854288
    ohh, no more p0rn please...

well, maybe just a little more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ok so I am going to look at fat bikes-image.jpg  

Signature

mtbr member
    I hate you all. I too ride my carbon Tallboy for all my rocky and rooty needs. I know I am not that good or lucky. I would not worry about that. The price however.....
    I am going to Port Colborne on Saturday.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I ride carbon too, but I find I regularly end up on my butt on the fat bike. I don't in normal riding.
    On the fat bike I removed the large ring and replaced it with a bash ring cause I got tagged by the large ring a few times, sliding off narrow trails or flailing to get a foot down.

sock puppet
    The price however.....
    life is too short...

I am going to Port Colborne on Saturday.
    you are welcome!
    Signature

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure I am not getting a carbon fat bike. I would ride it with flat pedals so I can wear toasty foot coverings according to conditions. Falling in the snow doesn't seem so bad until sharp components get you.
    Burnt Norton

sock puppet
    I am pretty sure I am not getting a carbon fat bike.
    "pretty sure"?

see - you are already doubting yourself...

this morning, you KNEW you were not getting a carbon fat bike...

by Saturday, you will WANT one...

it's all too obvious... been there, done that...

no regrets here... remember: ensure that you regret ONLY things you have done, not things you HAVE NOT done...

act accordingly...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oh, I already want one. If I get a carbon fat bike at under 30 lbs. it may make two of my bikes redundant.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Sorry BCD the cooks Norco looks pretty good, but i'm waitng for 6" front and back. well maybe 5"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    "pretty sure"?

see - you are already doubting yourself...

this morning, you KNEW you were not getting a carbon fat bike...

by Saturday, you will WANT one...

it's all too obvious... been there, done that...

no regrets here... remember: ensure that you regret ONLY things you have done, not things you HAVE NOT done...

act accordingly...
    He is systematically picking you apart, making you blur the line in the sand....
    I think he has the right path for you.....DO IT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast