Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Official TdF Thread!

I grow weary of the mud/no-mud debate and as such have decided to turn my attention to something that should involve no mud at all (god help us racer-boys if it does ): the Tour!

This is gonna be one heck of a race: the return of the TTT, 2 radio-free stages and of course, Lanstana!

Anyone care to make some predictions? Who's looking good for Stage 1? How about the GC? Can Contador win another? Sastre? Menchov? Wow!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I grow weary of the mud/no-mud debate and as such have decided to turn my attention to something that should involve no mud at all (god help us racer-boys if it does ): the Tour!

This is gonna be one heck of a race: the return of the TTT, 2 radio-free stages and of course, Lanstana!

Anyone care to make some predictions? Who's looking good for Stage 1? How about the GC? Can Contador win another? Sastre? Menchov? Wow!
    Maybe no mud per se, but get ready for some mud-slinging! (those that hate Lance, hate him a lot)

Predictions? Not so much a prediction, but I'm very interested in seeing how Andy Schleck does.

Fervent hope: A Tour in which no major drug scandals occur. I don't want to see a stage in which a Ricco/Schumacher type character all of a sudden is the second-coming of Merckx only to have it all revealed within days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm going to be there. I hope to see a part of the stage ending in Aubenas. Also, I will be riding with a friend (and 8,500 Frenchmen) in l'Etape du Tour on July 20th from Montelimar to Ventoux.

My predictions:
    • a big deal will be made over Lanceypants
    • one or more of the riders may dope
    • the radio-free stages will be interesting
    • Fabio will win the prologue
    • despite staying in the same hotels, Contador and Lanceypants may not eat dinner at the same table each evening
    • my 2 year old daughter will go absolutely batty (Emily?) when the peleton goes by
    • I will be tired after climbing Ventoux

All my faucets is Moen.
    I cannot wait for the Le Tour to start up again especially since I’ve started to do more road riding. It should provide some extra motivation or at least a little fun pretending I’m someone else.

As for predictions, if you remember last year, and I’m sure you don’t, I correctly predicted the yellow jersey, the white jersey, the green jersey and the best team. Unfortunately it is the greatest acomplishemnt in my life.

My overall predictions will come later but here is two early ones for you. Menchov will be on the podium and there will be a stage winner sent home because “there are errors in his biological passport”. I know, I know, big surprise eh?

No worries about the radio free stage. Lance keeps his Twitterberry in his jersey pocket and Johan has already set up a few accounts to allude the judges.

bi-winning
    Le Tour!

(that's all for now)
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    I'm going to be there. I hope to see a part of the stage ending in Aubenas. Also, I will be riding with a friend (and 8,500 Frenchmen) in l'Etape du Tour on July 20th from Montelimar to Ventoux.

My predictions:
    • a big deal will be made over Lanceypants
    • one or more of the riders may dope
    • the radio-free stages will be interesting
    • Fabio will win the prologue
    • despite staying in the same hotels, Contador and Lanceypants may not eat dinner at the same table each evening
    • my 2 year old daughter will go absolutely batty (Emily?) when the peleton goes by
    • I will be tired after climbing Ventoux
    I am green with jealousy
    I was at the amstel gold race, fleche wallonne and liege bastone liege this spring and there is nothing like standing on the side of the road as top level riders fly by.......
    damn i am jealous!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Le Tour!

(that's all for now)

Vive Le Tour!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    I am green with jealousy
    I was at the amstel gold race, fleche wallonne and liege bastone liege this spring and there is nothing like standing on the side of the road as top level riders fly by.......
    damn i am jealous!!!!
    I've been to the Tour once before, but not ever the Spring Classics. The Classics are definitely on my list of races to go see. However, it is easier to take my family to hot and sunny France in the summer than it is to take them to cold and rainy Belgium in the spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    I've been to the Tour once before, but not ever the Spring Classics. The Classics are definitely on my list of races to go see. However, it is easier to take my family to hot and sunny France in the summer than it is to take them to cold and rainy Belgium in the spring.
    I was very lucky this year. Southern Belgium/Holland had the best weather they've had in 50 years. I went to those races because all three are in the same area in the same week.
    sunday-wednesday-sunday and not more that 60 km apart. the amsel gold has a cyclosportif the day before as well so citizens can race the pro course. some of those hills are f'n steep.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What 2 stages are radio free?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyn
    What 2 stages are radio free?
    From VeloNews:

The measure will affect the Limoges-Issoudun stage on July 14 and the Vittel-Colmar stage on July 17.
    The first is a flat, 200km stage that should make for some interesting tactics once teams looking for stage victories start throwing down the inevitable attacks.

The second is a hilly 200km stage with two Cat 3s, two Cat 2s and a Cat 1. I might guess that the teams with top-10 GC riders will try to keep a lid on anything until the Cat 1 and then let the climbers duke it out for the win with only the final Cat 3 before the finish. ...Or, we could see SaxoBank drive the pace like mad and poop out the entire peloton before they even get there.

According to the odds makers, Armstrong is the second most likely (after Contador) to win Le Tour. Odds indeed!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    My pick for the Prolouge is Fabian Cancellara

My darkhorse is David Zabriskie

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Alberto gonna take it, with a team or without. Hes that good...

Wanna see what Andy can do.

Other than that, Lance won't even finish 2nd on his team.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

humber river advocate
    hope someone jumps it again on a mountainbike...

mtbr member
    Whoops...I thought it was a "DnF" thread....
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

Evil Jr.
    Holy cow the TTT was amazing! So glad to see it back! Has there ever been a smaller gap between the top 2 in the GC? Crazy!

All my faucets is Moen.
    That was crazy! Stuck in the office but a friend turned me on to this...

http://www.versus.com/tourdefrancelive

shhhh...don't tell my boss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Holy cow the TTT was amazing! So glad to see it back! Has there ever been a smaller gap between the top 2 in the GC? Crazy!
    Amazing? Yes, I loved watching it...and then I saw the carnage. It's pretty disappointing to see time gaps of 2 and 3 minutes for serious hopefuls this early. I think they might have had it right a few years back when they had defined and maximum time losses in the TTT.

Cadel Evans must be livid right now. He's just lost his chance at the Tour. Same for Menchov (although he didn't look like he had it in him anyway).

It's now just the four guys on Astana against I guess Andy Schleck, Vandevelde and Rogers, with maybe Kreuziger as a wildcard.

The craziest thing this does is completely throw the focus on the Astana team dynamics. Without too much serious competition from other teams, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the mountains.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Dumb questions:

Radio-free stages- why are they doing that?

TTT- is that each team member riding seperately or as a group?
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

1946:2006:2066

riding as a group

Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Dumb questions:

Radio-free stages- why are they doing that?

TTT- is that each team member riding seperately or as a group?
    At least 5 riders have to finish.
    The clock stops on the 5th rider.
    All riders finishing ahead of the 5th rider get that same time.
    Dropped riders get there own time but have to finish within a time limit.
    I think it's 25% of your teams time.
    Outside the time limit you're DQ'd out of the TdF.
    Less than 5 riders finish I think the team's DQ'd out of the TdF ( not sure )

AND it was one wild TTT.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Evil Jr.
    Congratulations to Heinrich Haussler on his big solo win today! After the heartbreak he suffered at Milan-San Remo, I hope this cheers him right up!

This has been an unusually good Tour for breaks!

All my faucets is Moen.
    This has been an unusually good Tour for breaks!

Really? I can only remember yesterday and the break where the peleton mistimed and a rider won by 7sec. Today, yeah the break one but its hard to count breakaways in mountain stages. There is always a gap between 1st & 2nd.

I guess the yellow is going to get interesting now with tomorrow being the last chance for sprinters.

Evil Jr.
    Sure! Of the 11 non-TT stages so far, six of the wins (Voeckler, Feillu, Sanchez, Fedrigo, Sorenson and Haussler) have materialized from some sort of break. It's been fantastic!

Person
    Sep 2005
    Anyone get their G-pack yet?

I'm sooooooooo tired of cash for gold ads.

Evil Jr.
    Well, it's an improvement on Bowflex adds, I guess.

New man in Yellow. Is this thing done like dinner?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast