Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bi-winning

Official Summer (Hardwood) 8 hour discussion thread

Summer Epic 8 Hour - July 25, Hardwood Ski and Bike

Discuss!

I love Hardwood, and I'll be there on a tag team.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'll be up on a 4-man team and with +/-25 others from my club. Should be a great weekend.

I've never been to hardwood and I'm really looking forward to the Friday pre-ride. I'll tick it off my list of places never ridden. Theres been a lot of those this year.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    i would like to ride this....guess i better find a team or something...well at least one teammate would be good.

Single speed

Course map

Hey Y'all,

I've never ridden there also.

Anyone got any comments on the course and spots to look out for?

2009fallmap.jpg

I won't be arriving till around 8:30 Saturday morning. So I hope to have a quick pre ride then.

Unless you want me to go first Jeff?

All my faucets is Moen.
    I thought you had a good strategy at the last 8hr, don't show up until after the race starts.

I don't mind starting but the best strategy might not be to have the slowest guy do the most laps.

Personally I'm looking forward to riding the infamous 'boneshaker' on Friday night. If you're getting in 3-4 laps of the course you might as well ride the other stuff the day before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Team "Gasping For Air"

Looking forward to the ride. We did the fall one in 2007 with a four man team and had a blast. Decided we'd challenge ourselves a little more this time around and go two man. I hope my legs are up for it!

I'll be on a green Trek Fuel EX8 and my buddy rides a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi.

See you there.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Anyone got any comments on the course and spots to look out for?
    That looks like a pretty standard Hardwood 8 Hour course. It's all pretty easy and fun. Some riders seem to run afoul of some of the off-camber twistier stuff past the "Desert". In the fall, a woman took a NASTY header going over a log in the "Pit View" area.

Things I really begin to hate after 8 hours of riding: the lead-out all the way to the "Posts" and the section that runs parallel to the road leading to the "Desert". Guh!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member

pre-ride

Can you pre-ride the course Saturday morning?

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    I managed to get a 4-man team thrown together. Very much looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    I registered to do it solo. I pre-rode the course a couple of weeks ago and I found it to be a relatively technical course for a citizen race, but for experienced racers, nothing to worry about.

I almost had a heart attack on the course (just before the "Desert") when I came across a black bear after a sharp turn. The bear started running and then stopped. I also stopped and turned around and pedaled away fast enough to win any O-Cup on any course.

I went back to the main building and decided to wait until more people went on the course. I could barely bring myself to go back there.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Gee you got me thinking now. Everybody was telling me how it would be a preety easy course and was debating on registering solo but now I am not to sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8
    Gee you got me thinking now. Everybody was telling me how it would be a preety easy course and was debating on registering solo but now I am not to sure.
    When I did it 2 years ago, there was much less climbing than a 24 hour at Albion. I think you'll be OK

I remember TWO big climbs, and I just granny ringed up them last time. We'll see how this one goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8
    It also looks like we are gonna get quite a bit of rain this week and (for now) even some rain the day of the race... My experience with hardwood hills is that it can become pretty treacherous to ride quickly because of roots that become really slick.. As long as its not raining while we are riding it should be fine though.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I almost had a heart attack on the course (just before the "Desert") when I came across a black bear after a sharp turn. The bear started running and then stopped. I also stopped and turned around and pedaled away fast enough to win any O-Cup on any course.
    Wow. Me, being a city person....was really surprised at you seeing a bear at Hardwood. I always thought the Parry Sound area was the "cut-off" on bears. Crazy. Is it normal?

For the other posters that have never rode Hardwood....IMO its the best, nothing compares. I wished I lived closer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Summer Epic 8 Hour - July 25, Hardwood Ski and Bike

Discuss!

I love Hardwood, and I'll be there on a tag team.
    I will also be there with one of my regular team-mates in the tag-team category. Not a race we expect to place well in, but great training for Crank the Shield. And this category is much more challenging than running a 3-4 person team. At least that's my take. Looking forward to a great day and will be out with the helmet-cam as always. We also have a photographer out shooting his @ss off too.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

banned
    Feb 2005

Hardwood Thrills

Hardwood is a fantastic place to hold a race because it holds up well under any weather condition. It has been rode hard and put away wet since the 80ís, so the paid employees have armored, graveled, rerouted and designed the system for all weather racing. Since it has had a ton of traffic the roots are plenty and they do become slick as snot when wet, so be aware and donít trust them. The wilderness side has seen much less traffic and in my opinion are some of the best trails around.

Bears are a common sight in our area, but have become use to people in the forest around Hardwood so relax and enjoy the ride. Other forests around Hardwood see less people so you have a better chance of startling one and that is not good for you. The only problem so far with the bears is that they seam to like to crap on the trail, so practice your bunny hop, it smells horrible. The population is not just 1-2 year olds traveling down because they donít know better; several moms with cubs in tow have been spotted. That situation is almost as dangerous as the Cougars that roam the area.

Have a great race at Hardwood, thatís what it was built for and it has been King of the hill in Ontario for decades. For years it was the site of the largest 24 hours race in North America and never had to cancel a race due to rain. Ride with pride since your money is going to a great facility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    Hardwood is a fantastic place to hold a race because it holds up well under any weather condition. It has been rode hard and put away wet since the 80ís, so the paid employees have armored, graveled, rerouted and designed the system for all weather racing. Since it has had a ton of traffic the roots are plenty and they do become slick as snot when wet, so be aware and donít trust them. The wilderness side has seen much less traffic and in my opinion are some of the best trails around.

Bears are a common sight in our area, but have become use to people in the forest around Hardwood so relax and enjoy the ride. Other forests around Hardwood see less people so you have a better chance of startling one and that is not good for you. The only problem so far with the bears is that they seam to like to crap on the trail, so practice your bunny hop, it smells horrible. The population is not just 1-2 year olds traveling down because they donít know better; several moms with cubs in tow have been spotted. That situation is almost as dangerous as the Cougars that roam the area.

Have a great race at Hardwood, thatís what it was built for and it has been King of the hill in Ontario for decades. For years it was the site of the largest 24 hours race in North America and never had to cancel a race due to rain. Ride with pride since your money is going to a great facility.

Bears eh
    just remember to slide back in the saddle and pull up hard and don't forget to keep a good cadence going (a really good one).If you're already going really fast you may want to try bunny hopping over. If you manage to make it don't look back just keep peddaling.
    For all you people lucky anough to race this weekend have a good one.I get to go to Sarnia to visit my mother in law this weekend.

mtbr member
    gmstrek8: Gee you got me thinking now. Everybody was telling me how it would be a preety easy course and was debating on registering solo but now I am not to sure.

In the last couple of years the Hardwood 8 HOUR has been getting a little harder, with more climbing and more technical terrain. Sure it is easy compared to an average O-Cup course, but after 5, 6, 7 hours it will be painful. I would still encourage you to try a solo, but you won't ever hear me label a course as "pretty easy". Even the easiest course can be a killer if the pace is high enough.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

I Wanna Be Sedated
    The forecast looks rather wet for Saturday. If I recall correctly, last year we started in the rain but it stopped shortly after the race had started. Let's kep the fingers crossed for similar (or better) luck this year...
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well I passed on the race I figure I just did the 8 hr Fly Gurlz last weekend so I should get some stuff done around the house. Plus the weather wasn't looking so good either. So now you should have good weather since I didn't register. Hope everybody has a great time. I'm hope to get some riding in at HH the first week of Aug when I am on holidays.

mtbr member
    Damn, the more I look at the forecast, the less I want to do this race. What the hell did we do to deserve such a lousy summer?
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Damn, the more I look at the forecast, the less I want to do this race. What the hell did we do to deserve such a lousy summer?
    No kidding...Two shite summers in a row.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    No kidding...Two shite summers in a row.
    What, you guys don't love putting on soggy bike shoes and soaked gloves to go out for another lap?

I'm going to remain optimistic for this one, and wait to see how it plays out. If the weather turns out to be rainy, I may choose to voice some grievances post race, but until then, I'll just throw on some knobby tires, fresh shift cables and housing, and pack spare brake pads, and lots of clothing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    What, you guys don't love putting on soggy bike shoes and soaked gloves to go out for another lap?

I'm going to remain optimistic for this one, and wait to see how it plays out. If the weather turns out to be rainy, I may choose to voice some grievances post race, but until then, I'll just throw on some knobby tires, fresh shift cables and housing, and pack spare brake pads, and lots of clothing.
    Thats the spirit! Please give me a pat on the back when you pass me tomorrow, ill likely need it. I'm in with my girlfriend as a two-person team, and I'm not sure if she is ready for hardwood in the rain (which means it might turn into a solo 8 hour fairly quickly, but I'm hoping for the best). Regardless of the conditions, I think its going to be an awesome race. Good luck to everyone!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by beereppc
    Thats the spirit! Please give me a pat on the back when you pass me tomorrow, ill likely need it. I'm in with my girlfriend as a two-person team, and I'm not sure if she is ready for hardwood in the rain (which means it might turn into a solo 8 hour fairly quickly, but I'm hoping for the best). Regardless of the conditions, I think its going to be an awesome race. Good luck to everyone!
    I did this race last year on a co-ed tag team with my sister, who is less experienced than I am. Before the race, the area got some hard rain. The trails were a little wet to start, but she did really well, and had a good time. Fortunately, the rain stopped, and the trails dried up really quickly. That said, I definitely did a lot more than 50% of the riding.

Anyway, all the best with your race. Be encouraging, and your girlfriend may have more fun than expected.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast