Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,556

    Listen! Official Spring Epic Eight Hour Thread

    Well, I am not sure what makes it official...But being it's the first relay race of the season for many of us, I figured I would get this going.

    Who's coming out? What category are you riding? And what are your expectations? It's another opportunity to ride the awesome trails of Manfield in a race format. Always a blast to get out and bomb multiple short laps over the course of the day and enjoy another great Chico event...

    Neil
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443
    Hey I'll get in on this action...

    I'm racing the solo category for the first time. Basically I'm using it as a dry run for my 24-hour solo attempt. Should be ...uh...fun?

    Dan

  3. #3
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Well, I am not sure what makes it official...But being it's the first relay race of the season for many of us, I figured I would get this going.
    The purpose of having an official thread, is so that we don't have tons of different threads that discuss the same thing. I like organized.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  4. #4
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,844
    hmmm...

    perhaps perhaps...

    I think a solo would be fun. Go Ecaps!!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,556

    Thanks, I agree with you...

    Yepper!

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The purpose of having an official thread, is so that we don't have tons of different threads that discuss the same thing. I like organized.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rocks'r'friends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    565
    Good luck going solo. I've done it a few time and it is always full of suffering. Love it!!! I'm gonna wait to solo in July at Hardwood.

    I will be running in the 4person Co-ed cat. Taking it easy, have some fun, usually a smaller field, so we figure we will do well, if we don't hit the beer too early.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,967
    A few of us from NYS are heading up for this one. I'm on a 2 man, and a friend is going Solo. Chico events are absolutely the best.

  8. #8
    Bike Junkie
    Reputation: BlackOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    349

    Go Solo

    Yup, I signed up last week for another solo attempt at Mansfield. It's my second go at it. I enjoyed the course last year and I like it because if I don't feel like going again, I just don't go. I'm not holding anyone up and if I'm up for another quick lap, I get off my tail and go.

    I'll be the one sitting in the transition area having a quick rest

    I hope to do the other Epic 8's this year as well. I've only got a 10 person team in for the 24hrs of Summer Solstice so that should just a fun weekend.

    I'm hoping to manage my energy supplies a little better this year. I'm going to switch from water and gatorade to some Hammer HEED and water.

    I am also hoping for some nice weather like we've been having.

    Is anyone camping up there or staying in Alliston? I decided a need to nice sleep in my bed so I'll be driving up from Toronto in the morning.
    See You On The Trails!

  9. #9
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,023
    I'll be there in Caledon Cycling Club garb.

    Our team has been training hard and intends on improving our 3 place finish of last year, in the 200+ category. We have even upgraded our wheels to ultra-light, airy, fairy, girly wheels to accelerate past the competition this year. Watch out you team "tba" !
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  10. #10
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    I'll be there on a team with norm and a few other riders. no solo suffer-fest for me. should be fun.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,556

    Always a blast...

    Of course you will have a blast. If this is your first Epic 8, it won't be your last. A great day with some great riders, awesome venue, and the relay is such a hoot. What's your team name? I met Norm (Cumming, right?) last season at the OCUP finale. Will try to find you guys if I can. I have a five man team (I know, that's a lot) entered. Unfortunately, I couldn't get extras and want to keep it to my normal team for the season since we will be hitting the other Epics and two 24 hr venues. That's really what gets the riding blood flowing. Looking really forward to it. As always, will have the cam on and maybe even some upgraded technology!

    N.

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I'll be there on a team with norm and a few other riders. no solo suffer-fest for me. should be fun.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  12. #12
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Of course you will have a blast. If this is your first Epic 8, it won't be your last. A great day with some great riders, awesome venue, and the relay is such a hoot. What's your team name? I met Norm (Cumming, right?) last season at the OCUP finale. Will try to find you guys if I can. I have a five man team (I know, that's a lot) entered. Unfortunately, I couldn't get extras and want to keep it to my normal team for the season since we will be hitting the other Epics and two 24 hr venues. That's really what gets the riding blood flowing. Looking really forward to it. As always, will have the cam on and maybe even some upgraded technology!

    N.
    Yup, norm c. Super-nice guy .I don't know our team name though.

    This will be my first 8 hour event. I experienced my first relay races last year at the two 24h events at Albion.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  13. #13
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,844
    Ahh I cannot come. Last week when I was driving to Albion I got nailed with speeding ticket, 135km/h on the 407 when the speed of traffic was at least 130km/h

    As a result I have 277$ to pay up... friggin highway patrol.

    So no race for me. Working!! yippee.

  14. #14
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Ahh I cannot come. Last week when I was driving to Albion I got nailed with speeding ticket, 135km/h on the 407 when the speed of traffic was at least 130km/h

    As a result I have 277$ to pay up... friggin highway patrol.

    So no race for me. Working!! yippee.
    Thanks for reminding me that the flow of traffic is not the legal speed limit.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    233
    I'm on a 3 person mixed team. My 1st 8 hour race. Have done five 24 hr races and am looking forward to this. Laps I've been told are approximately 10km? I'm hoping we'll do 2-3 laps at a time to have a little time in between to refuel, socialize, etc. before heading out again. Good luck to everyone! Anyone know when we can preride the course?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,556

    Likely not until later this week...

    Not sure, other than I was planning to do a GPS profile with Chico when they mark the course. Apparently, that will be either tomorrow or later in the week. Not sure how much they might change the course from previous Spring Epics, but you are correct, it will be around 10km. Lot's of nice singletrack with a couple of good climbs thrown in...Good luck to you guys too. I will be shooting here, if you see me with the cam on, please say hello.

    Neil

    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff
    I'm on a 3 person mixed team. My 1st 8 hour race. Have done five 24 hr races and am looking forward to this. Laps I've been told are approximately 10km? I'm hoping we'll do 2-3 laps at a time to have a little time in between to refuel, socialize, etc. before heading out again. Good luck to everyone! Anyone know when we can preride the course?
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  17. #17
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    yes, it says laps are 10 km. That is quite short. Hammer time the whole way then break

    then repeat
    Last edited by rkj__; 05-21-2007 at 05:40 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Merdoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    233

    Silly me

    Just checked my emails and e-mail from Matt @ Chico indicated course is available to pre-ride Friday from 4pm-8pm which is subject to Mansfield entry fee of $7. Looks like I won't get an opportunity to pre-ride as I'm working til 6 pm.

  19. #19
    the original big ring
    Reputation: Barley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    242
    A few climbs? Similar to past O-cups?

    Never ridden there, probably won't be able to do a pre-ride. Any other info on the course would greatly be appreciated - am riding solo. I guess I'll have lots of time to get used to the course! ; )

  20. #20
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,136
    The course is geared towards speed without too much climbing, making it great for solos and teams alike.
    I am expecting an easier course than the O-Cup, but maybe i am just being a fool.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  21. #21
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I am expecting an easier course than the O-Cup, but maybe i am just being a fool.
    last years course was a (near) carbon copy of this past o-cup.

    and let me tell you, traffic stank for the first 2hrs at least...busy busy busy. 30-40min laps is the norm.



    i say one large loop prior to the first lap, all the double track climbs (around the perimeter) BEFORE the first real lap.

    we will be 8 strong all riding solo but holding hands with our TR partners, a bonding experience donchaknow.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  22. #22
    Single speed
    Reputation: McGyver29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    231

    Single Speed Gearing?

    Hey Yall,
    Seeing as yall were spot on for SS gearing in the P2A race.
    Can anybody suggest which set up to run @ Mansfield for this event?
    I am thinking of going solo on my 29er and it is set up as 34x16 right now.
    Do ya think I should add a few teeth on the back?

    What ratio is all the other SS'ers runnin?

    It should be a blast to hit the trails at mansfield with y'all.

    Thanks for the info and see ya there.

  23. #23
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    take my ratio with a grain of salt as i am not only riding the 8hr solo but with the intention to ride some miles the day prior and the day after...

    i will be running 32:19 all day. it can be soft at mansfield in spots, like i said, recovery and mileage for the weekend are the priorities.


    i jumped down from 32:17 on the pre-ride to 32:19 on the day-of the mansfiled ocup...no regrets, everything ride-y-a-ble by the end of the race and soft enough to accommodate the GRANNIES (of course rings i mean) on the course at the beginning.

    nothing worse then mashing or walking a climb early b/c you couldn't slow up your pace with traffic.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  24. #24
    Bored
    Reputation: bigwheelboy_490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,966
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Hey Yall,
    Seeing as yall were spot on for SS gearing in the P2A race.
    Can anybody suggest which set up to run @ Mansfield for this event?
    I am thinking of going solo on my 29er and it is set up as 34x16 right now.
    Do ya think I should add a few teeth on the back?

    What ratio is all the other SS'ers runnin?

    It should be a blast to hit the trails at mansfield with y'all.

    Thanks for the info and see ya there.
    I ran 34x20 at the first 0-cup, and the first climb was tough. I'd say run a similar run out or lower, depending on the number of laps you plan to do.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443
    Hey everyone! I'll be riding Solo on a silver & Orange Cannondale Rush (Probably wearing Liberty! Bicycles jerseys most of the day). Say hello if you see me.

    For me, this is a training ride for the 24-hour solo attempt, so I'm going to do everything I can to keep my heart rate WAY down the whole day. I'm looking at this as a 1/3rd segment of the 24. So I'm going to try to eat, drink and ride exactly how I would be during the 24. Who knows if I can stick to that strategy, but I'll certainly try.

    Basically, just like with my 24-hour attempt, this is just about survival

    Good luck to all!

    p.s. Ryan - how are you getting up there?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •