Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Edit: realise the P2A can't be compared with CN climb
    True.

But when I was collapsed on the glass floor, legs burning, gasping for air, and tasting blood, I noticed that there were some... uncanny similarities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    On second thought (after 3 hours in the Don today) perhaps I will just cheer people on instead.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    On second thought (after 3 hours in the Don today) perhaps I will just cheer people on instead.
    Don't let that discourage you. The Don is technical and hilly. The P2A is reasonably flat apart from the final climb and mostly wide open roads and rail trails. It's apples and oranges. Riding hard for 3 hours at the P2A would get you most of the way to the finish. And you've got the better part of 3 months between now and then to get stronger.
    Strava made me do it....

I see what you did there.
    I'm thinking the 40K sounds like a good choice for me.

Now what about licenses etc?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    i think i will do this race this year. the extra 10km has some people fretting. does anyone know what type of riding the extra 10k is? if it's all uphill my 260 pounds will slow me down

a quick link to my video from last year. hope to do one this year that maybe will be dry and warm out

Paris to Ancaster 2012 Race - YouTube

mtbr member
    I haven't done this in a few years, but I am really looking forward to it this year. FINALLY recovered from my knee issues and surgeries over the past few years.

I am also curious about what will be in that extra 10K. On the plus side I have been shedding weight as I have started to prep for this from 289 on Jan 2 to 275 yesterday. I'd be thrilled if I was in the 250-255 range on April 14, and I'm sure my legs would thank me on that final hill too!

Tim Farrar
    Apr 2007
    Noticed a few comments re the additional 10 km. 2km are a graveled tractor path in an orchard, 2km are gravel road, 1km is rail trail, 3km are dirt farm lanes, 1km of pavement, 1km of ?. Other new sectors that do not affect distance are also included. The long muddy lane that began with a dismount to slide under/around a fallen tree has been replaced with an all weather farm lane as well. No change to the overall feel of the race though.

mtbr member
    Jonathan Page racing this years P2A... awesome. Safe to say we all just dropped a placing

Jonathan Page starts Paris to Ancaster in Ontario | Canadian Cycling Magazine

mtbr member

Burnt Orange Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    dude, you are a fukking movie star... will they keep you on the cast for episode 2 and 3?

I like your body language and facial expressions. awesome!!!
    Signature

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Jonathan Page racing this years P2A... awesome. Safe to say we all just dropped a placing

Jonathan Page starts Paris to Ancaster in Ontario | Canadian Cycling Magazine
    As long as his chain stays out of his spokes and he doesn't flat... often.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    You'll have to stayed tuned.......maybe I'll make it up Sydenham next time.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    dude, you are a fukking movie star... will they keep you on the cast for episode 2 and 3?

I like your body language and facial expressions. awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    The first picture gives the impression that riding Paris-Ancaster either causes hair loss or is required to ride.

Edited after watching the movie:
    It's nicely done but a lightweight piece of fluff.
    Getting ready for my first Paris-Ancaster, I was hoping for something at least half useful. I wish training for the race involved rides on a beautiful summer day. Where's the cold rides in the dark, trying to get some miles in?
    Last edited by Slash5; 02-13-2013 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    The back ground thought was to get people excited and cater to a wide demographic (like those that participate in Paris to Ancaster). It's tough to make it overly technical. I doubt people would watch Jason riding in the dark .

But if you are looking for CX and general bike handling techniques...

Episode 2

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 2 - "Skills" | RIDING FEELS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    The first picture gives the impression that riding Paris-Ancaster either causes hair loss or is required to ride.

Edited after watching the movie:
    It's nicely done but a lightweight piece of fluff.
    Getting ready for my first Paris-Ancaster, I was hoping for something at least half useful. I wish training for the race involved rides on a beautiful summer day. Where's the cold rides in the dark, trying to get some miles in?

mtbr member
    For those that are interested....

Episode 3

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 3 - "Guidance" | RIDING FEELS GOOD

Episode 4 (Some sweet race footage to get your jacked to rip it)

How To Win Paris-Ancaster: Episode 4 - "Pressure" | RIDING FEELS GOOD

Episode 5 was shown at the release party and stars Anne Guzman (local elite level racer nutritionist). Very good info coming next week.

mtbr member

Back of the pack doping.
    Name:  h285CF480.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  17.7 KB
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: Official P2A 2013 Paris 2 Ancaster thread

We'll... I'm in for the wave 1 start. Should be an interesting ride. Will probably cough up a lung at the end of it but that's just part off the fun!

Edit: pay <> part
    Last edited by TheWiseFool; 03-12-2013 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Rly?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How bad is the final climb? I'm signed up for my first P2A and can't decide between geared or singlespeed. I want to ride the SS because I prefer it, but I'm a little concerned about my ability to deal with the final climb with only one gear. For those familiar with both, is it comparable to the 7th concession climb from 3 Rock to Durham Forest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    How bad is the final climb? I'm signed up for my first P2A and can't decide between geared or singlespeed. I want to ride the SS because I prefer it, but I'm a little concerned about my ability to deal with the final climb with only one gear. For those familiar with both, is it comparable to the 7th concession climb from 3 Rock to Durham Forest?
    Haven't ridden that climb, so no comparison, but here is the elevation profile.

I think Martin Road has more bark than actual bite which has developed over the years. Seeing as the P2A is very much a citizen event, it's pretty tough for your average, recreational cyclist after what for them was likely a grueling 60 km. So it's developed a bit of a aura around it.

The tough part is km 1.5 to 1.7. That's only 200 m. Many people walk, geared or not and it won't change your time that much. If you prefer the singlespeed ride it. And as most people say, gear for the first 58 km where there is minimal hills, not the last 2 km.

Lemmy Rules!
    If you are using a standard trail SS gearing (ie 32:18) then the final climb is totally doable. But of course you will have been spinning like a gerbil for the previous 69km. My advice: Run a gear for the first 69 km and push up that steep 200m at the end. When I last did it on my Singlespeed I ran a 44:16 gearing and cyclocross tires. No way I was making it up Martin Road but I still finished in under 3 hours
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the advice CptSydor and Unglued. I'll guess I'll ride the SS and be prepared to push up the end, just need to figure out gearing, 44:16 sounds way too tall for me. I did the Tour de King last year on 34:20, which was a little short so I'll try something taller like 34:17.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    They are very different , the 7th conc. climb is longer, 4.5k with about 130 meters of climbing over the whole thing, and it is a true road, whereas I don't think you can drive a car up martin road (correct me if I'm wrong here people...I have done it 5+ times, but I am usually seeing triple by that point. CptCydor nails it with the final 200 meters. If you know the climb up the backside of Dagmar (east of 3 rocks) it's a similar exhaustive experience, only worse because you hit it at the end of the race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    whereas I don't think you can drive a car up martin road (correct me if I'm wrong here people...I have done it 5+ times, but I am usually seeing triple by that point.
    1/2 the road is permanently closed now and resembles an old, muddy farm/tractor/4x4 lane. The other 1/2 is open (or parts only seasonally). There is a residence on Martin road and during the spring/summer/fall is a nicely grated dirt road.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 03-13-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast