Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

Official Ocup #4 / Boler Thread

Well, OCup #3 (aka Hardwood Canada Cup) hasn't happened yet, but the preregistration deadline is fast approaching, and I hate paying that extra ten bucks.

So? Who's making the trip to one of the least liked courses on the calendar? Except that damn ski hill, I don't actually mind it. There's one heck of a wait until OCup #5 (July 19th?).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Some of us Londoners (ok, maybe just me) wonder why it is always mentioned to be a marginally disliked course.

Chico was supposed to be there today to mark the course, however it's been raining off and on all day.

As someone new to the O-cup circuit (and somewhat new to London), I'd like to ask those who have been going for years, is the start always like last year (up the tube hill)?

Evil Jr.
    I can never figure out why people get so cranky about Boler. I actually find the place fairly flowy and fun. Although the "rock garden" feels a little tacked-on.

Last year's course was more or less the reverse of the course from the year before (correct me if I'm wrong). Seems to me we came down the ski hill two years ago but my gray hairs are catching up with me.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I kind of liked Boler last year. I even get a kick out the hill, although it isn't quite as punishing as the climb at Kelso. The "rock garden" at Boler is suited to my technical riding abilities.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    I don't even remember a rock garden at Boler.

I like Boler, but hate the drive. I might skip it this year.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster

Last year's course was more or less the reverse of the course from the year before (correct me if I'm wrong). Seems to me we came down the ski hill two years ago but my gray hairs are catching up with me.
    Yes, last year they did things in "reverse" and that made for a slightly shorter course some how I think. I expect things will be back to normal this year.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've never been there, but might have the chance to race this one. What is the course like? Technical, lots of climbing, fast?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Technical, lots of climbing, fast?
    Not too technical, it's at a ski hill, so there is some climbing involved, speed is medium.

I'm registered.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Thanks for reminding me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Does anyone know when the course will be setup for a preride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    June hours are:

4pm to Dusk mon-fri
    9am to Dusk sat and sun

AFAIK, Chico has been by and the course is mostly the way it will be run this weekend. There's been much rain lately, so you may want to wait until later this week to pre-ride it.

bi-winning
    Anybody from the Niagara area interested in carpooling?

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    I know every year a couple crazies decide to ride out (road) to Boler from the GTA.

Is anyone doing this this year? Looking for someone else to ride with? Im not racing, my mtb is out of commission.

Broke my wheels.
    Worn Cassette/Chain/chainrings
    Worn BB bearings
    Creaky Saddle.
    Finicky shifter
    Worn tires.

fmylife.

Of course, this means its time to go bike shopping..

Evil Jr.
    nogears and nspace might be contemplating the ride. Although their start time might "conveniently" get them there just past the registration cut-off...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Broke my wheels.
    Worn Cassette/Chain/chainrings
    Worn BB bearings
    Creaky Saddle.
    Finicky shifter
    Worn tires.

fmylife.

Of course, this means its time to go bike shopping..
    Damn! Are you not sticking with your frame as a starting point for the new build, then?

bi-winning

It's a three lap race

Oh, hello there Boler Mountain. How have you been? I've been well thanks.

Going into the race, I had a goal of a top ten finish, and a plan of starting at a more reasonable pace.

I was happy to hear than Mr. IHaveWonEveryRace was not at the start line for our little sport race. I did not rush to the start line, and I did not line up in the first or second row. It's a three lap race, and there is lots of time to pick off riders later in the race.

The opening climb did not go too long, and my legs felt fine. I felt out the course on the first lap. It was a very nice course. Some nice twisty sections, a couple short and steep climbs, and some longer flat sections. Before the end of the lap, I moved around a few riders, and continued on at a reasonable pace. There were just a few spots that were kina tricky, but nothing unrideable.

On the second lap, I found myself in some good company, and it motivated me to push hard. I took the lead of a small group, and tore up some singletrack. But, I again needed to remind myself that it was a three lap race. I was riding at a pace that was slightly above sustainable, so I backed off the throttle just a tad.

Third lap was good too. I never really found myself alone much during the race, which adds a nice "race" feel. Nearing the end, I reeled in a rider, but was passed by another. I tried to hold his wheel, but I could not. So, I let him go, and just focused on staying ahead of whoever was behind me. We fought it out a little, but I was able to stay ahead, and cross the line in 7th position.

Mission accomplished.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good job Ryan, awesome top 10. See you at the 8 X 12

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    ...and cross the line in 7th position.
    Nice work, Ryan.

I'm going to make sure I refer to you now as a Young WhipperSnapper, as you seem to have earned capitalization. You get a podium finish maybe you can be The Young WhipperSnapper!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Did everyone at the 9:30 start also like the cow bell with the Saskatchewan Roughriders Logo on it? (Go Green!!). And A fine bit of "ringing" of said bell was done too!! ( why I had enough energy to be looking around at the crowd and cow bells I do not know!!) Boler was a good course with a surprising amount of singletrack climbing. For my first time there, I was impressed....could have gone a bit faster (usual story!) but managed to stay upright for the whole race. Now just have to work on cracking that top 10 like Ryan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Oh, hello there Boler Mountain. How have you been? I've been well thanks.

Going into the race, I had a goal of a top ten finish, and a plan of starting at a more reasonable pace.

I was happy to hear than Mr. IHaveWonEveryRace was not at the start line for our little sport race. I did not rush to the start line, and I did not line up in the first or second row. It's a three lap race, and there is lots of time to pick off riders later in the race.

The opening climb did not go too long, and my legs felt fine. I felt out the course on the first lap. It was a very nice course. Some nice twisty sections, a couple short and steep climbs, and some longer flat sections. Before the end of the lap, I moved around a few riders, and continued on at a reasonable pace. There were just a few spots that were kina tricky, but nothing unrideable.

On the second lap, I found myself in some good company, and it motivated me to push hard. I took the lead of a small group, and tore up some singletrack. But, I again needed to remind myself that it was a three lap race. I was riding at a pace that was slightly above sustainable, so I backed off the throttle just a tad.

Third lap was good too. I never really found myself alone much during the race, which adds a nice "race" feel. Nearing the end, I reeled in a rider, but was passed by another. I tried to hold his wheel, but I could not. So, I let him go, and just focused on staying ahead of whoever was behind me. We fought it out a little, but I was able to stay ahead, and cross the line in 7th position.

Mission accomplished.
    I think I was right behind you ( I was the kid in the blue jersey on the giant anthem). My planned strategy was to stay midpack right from the start and stay there for the rest of the race. However, this was my first race of the year and I had completely overestimated my fitness. Burned out during the climbs on the first lap and by the time I got to the singletrack I was so tired I couldnt even be bothered to get off my seat for cornering. I also didnt see some of the trickier sections coming because I remembered boler to be completely smooth from last years o-cup and made some mistakes. I settled into a more suitale pace and ended up trading places with some riders at the tail-end which was fun and gave me a reason to keep on pushing. I ended up finishing slightly better than last years (25/33 instead of 27/30). Nothing like an o-cup race to give you a kick in the face in terms of fitness!

ps. Did anyone find the course tougher than last years? I thought it was both tougher and more fun

veldrijder
    I had my best finish this season, and I hope that it keeps getting better. Today was a good course for me, contrary to what I would have expected. Full report on my blog.

Mission accomplished.
    Well done! Top 5 next time?

Quote Originally Posted by beereppc
    ps. Did anyone find the course tougher than last years? I thought it was both tougher and more fun
    More fun - definitely. I don't know if it was tougher though. Nothing really compares to the climb up the bigger ski hill last year followed by a hammerfest on top all before you hit any singletrack.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    I had my best finish this season, and I hope that it keeps getting better. Today was a good course for me, contrary to what I would have expected. Full report on my blog.

Well done! Top 5 next time?
    Yes, you did well for yourself today, sneaking in right behind Zoltan.

Top 5? Maybe if a few riders don't show up, a few crash, and somebody has a mechanical.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think this years course was a little more fun than last years. Much was the same, but overall, it seemed to flow a tad better?

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm still slow as hell, but it's starting to come together. Had fun out there today ... came in with more preparation and had a plan that I stuck to for the most part. I need to get stronger and try to hang with slightly faster people off the start, but that's what I can focus on at the next race.

sock puppet
    allen key tools - who ever gave them to me at Boler - I still have them. Please let me know if you are on this forum...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008