Evil Jr.

The Official O-Cup #3/Canada Cup Hardwood Thread

I know it's not until the 31st but I feel compelled to remind everyone that the last day for the entrance discount is Sunday. (Well, that and I can't rightfully participate in the Spring 8-Hour thread AND it's my turn to start one of these "Official" threads.)

Who's in for yet another copy of Big Six in their musette?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Slick Rick
    The course is open for pre-ride, I was there yesterday.

Also, Hardwood rules in the middle of the day midweek, there was 1 other guy there riding.

rad to the power of sick
    Ill be there...

Looking forward to a DRY fast race.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    http://soundcloud.com/deejayfeelgood

Misfit Psycles
    i will be riding up...rain or shine or hail...
    i need to leave at 5am...lets hope for an early sunrise.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Then there were 3 others riding yesterday, pretty crowded eh!
    Really nice course, it's got it all!!!. Fast first half then the climbs kick in. Some real nice nice technical treats. Some real tight trees in the new trails for those of us from the wide bar family, watch your pinkies!! Liked the 4 foot boulder hurdle (how strong is your front end?). No Boneshaker for the 9.30 race.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    No Boneshaker for the 9.30 race.
    Aw crap! Not even half-a-boneshaker like last year? How am I supposed to achieve one of my early season goals of cleaning it at the O-cup?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    May 2009

No Boneshaker!!!

I'm not a fan of this trend of making the sport categories easier. We already have less technical courses than many I've ridden on elsewhere.

If newbies to the sport don't like the technical parts they can always get off and run the difficult part (that's what I did when I was a novice).

I've already emailed the organizer at Hardwood to make my feelings known. I think he needs to hear this from more riders if we want to keep the sport category course intact.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertrekkie
    I'm not a fan of this trend of making the sport categories easier.
    this is like hearing there is no santa claus...
    before we lynch the very kindly Glenn at Hardwood have we CONFIRMED via confirmation that BONESHAKER has been removed?
    it was there last year. and the year before...and so on.

also...SPORT cat's race later (11:30), ergo, I assume their course WILL include that section...just an uniformed thought.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    when you came across the parking area flat/feed zone? the 9.30 and 8.30 turned up the hill first, the 11.30/1.30 climbed up by the little bridge and went up to boneshaker.
    The challenge and the crowd should be part of it. You can walk it if need be, but it is a buzz to go down it with the crowd watching. Like Albion and the Green Monster/Meenie, you got to feel the it. Never looked forward to it but sure missed it after it was gone.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Clarification:

Pure OCup format:

0830 beginner etc, races are always shorter and less technical.

0930 and 1130 races are the sport catergories and the course is the same for both.

1330 races aare expert/elite and often have an extra twist here and there, depending on race location.

In a Canada Cup format:

0930 races are ALL the sport categories (0930 and 1130 combined)

1130 is Elite categories (they require their own race due to UCI rules)

1345 Expert race categories

I had email conversation with Glenn at Hardwood and he confirmed that the sport categories will not be doing the half boneshaker as in the past. From our communication I sensed that he could be swayed if he heard from enough sport riders who would like it to remain in the course. I understand that his motivation for taking it out was that it scared off potential newer riders.

I understand the motivation for taking it out but I don't necessarily agree with it. All I'm saying is that I see a trend of making courses technically easier which I personally don't like. Novices can either run the difficult parts or ride in the beginner categories.

mtbr member
    With or without Boneshaker, the Canada Cup course is considerably more technical than Mansfield and Albion. That is good enough for me.

Having said that, I prefer to ride through Boneshaker, because I am a sucker for all the cheering from the crowds. For extra points I will even do upper Boneshaker. Lord knows I need the points.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Slick Rick
    Wait, what is the boneshaker?

I've been to HH a million times and am not familiar

Up, Up, and Away!

The big rock garden at the front

visible from the chalet.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertrekkie
    Clarification:

Pure OCup format:

0830 beginner etc, races are always shorter and less technical.

0930 and 1130 races are the sport catergories and the course is the same for both.

1330 races aare expert/elite and often have an extra twist here and there, depending on race location.

In a Canada Cup format:

0930 races are ALL the sport categories (0930 and 1130 combined)

1130 is Elite categories (they require their own race due to UCI rules)

1345 Expert race categories

I had email conversation with Glenn at Hardwood and he confirmed that the sport categories will not be doing the half boneshaker as in the past. From our communication I sensed that he could be swayed if he heard from enough sport riders who would like it to remain in the course. I understand that his motivation for taking it out was that it scared off potential newer riders.

I understand the motivation for taking it out but I don't necessarily agree with it. All I'm saying is that I see a trend of making courses technically easier which I personally don't like. Novices can either run the difficult parts or ride in the beginner categories.

First, thank you Garage Monster for the reminder about registration saving.

Second; I much prefer racing at 11:30 vs. 9:30, especially after a long drive from Niagara. Oh well, Hardwood is fun.

Third. Taking out the boneshaker for sport categories? W.T.*! They should add the whole d*** thing to the sport categories, not take away the half that we had. Is this their way of telling me to upgrade to expert or something?

Ok, so it's just a short little section, and probably not worth getting real upset about, as the course is probably still pretty awesome, but I much prefer a technically challenging course.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Second; I much prefer racing at 11:30 vs. 9:30, especially after a long drive from Niagara.
    Long drive? I'm the one doing all the driving

mtbr member
    I hope they don't remove boneshaker from the 9:30am races! Some of the courses seem so tame in terms of technical sections. Especially after watching some videos from the UCI of the world cup XC courses in other parts of the world. I agree with rkj about adding the whole thing, that would be really awesome. I had never ridden boneshaker until the first lap of the Canada Cup last year and managed to figure it out amidst a pack of other riders, so it cant be THAT sketchy.

Looking forward to this race! I think with the revised start time for the SS category, the first lap will be a little less congested if the course is anything like last years. I recall the first lap being like a train through the singletrack.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by zedfoto
    Long drive? I'm the one doing all the driving
    Ok, long "car ride." Either way, it's going to be an early morning.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    I had never ridden boneshaker until the first lap of the Canada Cup last year and managed to figure it out amidst a pack of other riders, so it cant be THAT sketch.
    Same here, my previous mtb experience consisted of riding around dundas valley and doing the albion and mansfield o-cups before I hit the boneshaker. It was a little bit of a shock seeing it, but riding it really wasnt so bad.

I also dont understand the argument for taking it away from the sport racers: if its taken out to prevent turning away new riders, then take it away from the beginners. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sport is for riders with some racing experience so new riders would not be in that class unless they think very highly of their skill/endurance level. This would mean that a) they have enough skill/endurance from general riding and are fine over the boneshaker or b) itll be a wake-up call and they will realize they should be riding beginner instead of sport

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is my first year riding the 9:30 category.
    The bone shaker has been on my mind since last year when I decided I wanted to upgrade.

I attempted it 3x last year in practice and failed miserably all times.
    However the more technical course is one of the reasons I upgraded, so whether I'm confident enough to ride it before the race or not, I think it should be on it.

Otherwise its a off road race on trails?
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    nspace: I think with the revised start time for the SS category, the first lap will be a little less congested if the course is anything like last years.

What is the revised time? I agree that last year it was a mess.

bbgobie: I attempted it 3x last year in practice and failed miserably all times.

Practice it, but if you are in doubt just run it during the race. It may not be pretty, getting injured unnecesarly is less pretty.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    I attempted it 3x last year in practice and failed miserably all times.
    EXACTLY my experience...BEFORE the C-cup a few years back...

i went into that race replaying the disasters that were and lo when the crowd was screaming "go peter" "you are my hero peter" it just happened...i TOTALLY forgot what i was doing (despite the bodies everywhere) and i got it done.

boneshaker doesn't make me so much as flinch anymore, rigid or otherwise.

the downhill course at the ss worlds last summer was 10x worse...i also FAILED repeated attempts to clear it in 'practice'...then the big day...instead of cheering those monkies were pelting 'walkers' with beer cans and dousing fallen riders in various fluids.

suffice it to say i destroyed that one too...all because i forgot i was on it...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

rad to the power of sick
    Got out to hardwood today, did 4 laps of the course.

Typical hardwood fare.

I did the boneshaker each time without crashing, but my chop, hack and skid style was anything but pretty.

The rest is typical of the last few years with a few new turns here and there. Plenty of roots and line choices everywhere. Definitely an MTB'ers course.

Now this is the one and only time you'll hear me say this, but a lil rain might do some good, as plenty of brake divots are beginning to form on some of the descents, and its plenty dusty.

mtbr member
    I was at Hardwood Saturday and also did 4 laps. They changed the course a little bit from last weekend, but still no Boneshaker for Sport class riders. For the last lap I decided to run through Boneshaker but the lower entry was completely tapped off. I entered at upper Boneshaker. Scary, but not as hard as one would imagine. Lower boneshaker is a little harder, I think.

Anyway, I think the midweek rain will help, because the course is getting dry. But it is a great course with a nice combination of technical sections and hard climbs.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Hack Racer
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html

Mud tires for the race? It looks like a full week of rain before the race, and then some more rain for race day.

Evil Jr.
    Oh yay. After Tennessee, I've already ridden through enough mud for TWO seasons. Cripes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I might just race my singlespeed in Sport so that the clean-up is easier, this year is looking more and more like a carbon copy of last season

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Photograph
    I might just race my singlespeed in Sport so that the clean-up is easier, this year is looking more and more like a carbon copy of last season
    i'm sure that others (your competitors most likely) get the double entendre of your...

race my singlespeed in Sport so that the clean-up is easier

...even if you didn't entendre it!
    if ever a case there be for premature promotion, i think you and steve martin exemplify it.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

bi-winning
    It's a little early to be fretting about the weather ladies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's a little early to be fretting about the weather ladies.
    Is it time now to talk about the weather? Looks like a lot of rain.

Hack Racer
    I only head up to Hardwood once a year for some recreational riding. But I recall it to have lots of exposed roots. Which would probably mean slippery?

930 AM start time...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    i'm sure that others (your competitors most likely) get the double entendre of your...

race my singlespeed in Sport so that the clean-up is easier

...even if you didn't entendre it!
    if ever a case there be for premature promotion, i think you and steve martin exemplify it.
    Premature being the operative word here. Both guys are new to racing and have worked really hard to get where they are.

Last year there was a certain middle aged sport male who won every single race he attended, by a large margin. I don't recall seeing any public calls for his upgrade...

They should have a chance to enjoy the podium. After a couple more races, if they're winning by several minutes, perhaps they should upgrade...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn
    Premature being the operative word here. Both guys are new to racing and have worked really hard to get where they are.
    Thank you sputnikcdn. Indeed I have been working extremely hard since last fall to get to where I am now. To do well this early in the year has really surprised me, my best finish last season was an 11th place at Buckwallow and prior to that a few DNFs in the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn
    After a couple more races, if they're winning by several minutes, perhaps they should upgrade...
    I fully agree, as it has to be fun and competitive for everyone. So far for me it's been a matter of just a few seconds.

Nogearshere might be grumpy because I got a few photos of him having a little mishap last weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Anyone know if there's some helmet cam footage floating around of a couse lap at Hardwood? My pre-ride plans fell through and tomorrow's going to be my first time there (riding XC, at least). I'd prefer to not ride the course completely blind if possible.

mtbr member
    I doubt anyone took footage of the course. If you raced in previous years, then it is very similar, with a few new twists.

Unfortunately I think I may have to skip this race. I woke up with a sore throat yesterday and today it is worse. I am coughing and have a little fever. I cannot see myself being all better tomorrow. I am so disappointed, because this would be the first time I skip the Canada Cup since I started racing.

I blame this on sick people who come in at work and pass the germs around. It is great to have a job, but damit, must it affect my personal life like this? Argghh.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    First time there for me. I just did a cyclocross race their last season which won't have any overlap except the start/finish.

Hack Racer
    first time for me.

10C is the temp for Sunday. I would expect early morning to be even colder.

Mud tires for tomorrow's race? Hardwood is getting rain overnight tonight.

sock puppet

just admit

you are intimidated by the course and afraid of breaking your big ring on that big rock in the middle of the twisty rooty turn...

it is ok. we are all human.

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I doubt anyone took footage of the course. If you raced in previous years, then it is very similar, with a few new twists.

Unfortunately I think I may have to skip this race. I woke up with a sore throat yesterday and today it is worse. I am coughing and have a little fever. I cannot see myself being all better tomorrow. I am so disappointed, because this would be the first time I skip the Canada Cup since I started racing.

I blame this on sick people who come in at work and pass the germs around. It is great to have a job, but damit, must it affect my personal life like this? Argghh.

mtbr member
    I would put a knobby tire on (like Jones ACX or similar), but Hardwood takes rain really well. In the past we raced there after having rain all day Saturday and it was still very good.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

sock puppet

roots? check

hidden drops? check
    bridges? check
    rocks? check
    technical climbs? check

my shoulder/arms hurt me more than my legs during the preride yesterday...

however - this is the REAL DEAL MTB course... Puts all other courses that I have raced so far to shame with it's degree of technical difficulty... I guess I know now why Canada Cup is at Hardwood...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    I only head up to Hardwood once a year for some recreational riding. But I recall it to have lots of exposed roots. Which would probably mean slippery?

930 AM start time...

sock puppet

no need for serious knobbies...

I pre-rode yesterday after all the rain the previous few days... mud is not a factor... roots were dry for our pre-ride...

it did rain yesterday evening, but i dont think it will affect the course in any significant way.

i was riding on Hutch Pythons, but i am considering replacing the front one with Racing Ralph...

i will have Maxxis Ignitors as spare - just in case - but dont think will use them UNLESS it sprinkles in the morning...

I would put a knobby tire on (like Jones ACX or similar), but Hardwood takes rain really well. In the past we raced there after having rain all day Saturday and it was still very good.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I pre-rode yesterday after all the rain the previous few days... mud is not a factor... roots were dry for our pre-ride...

it did rain yesterday evening, but i dont think it will affect the course in any significant way.
    Good to hear.

I got some Bontrager Revolt X 2.2's that im gonna ride. Hopefully the high volume sucks up those roots.

See ya'll tomorrow

mtbr member
    osokolo: no need for serious knobbies...

You are probably right. Too bad I cannot race tomorrow. I feel terrible.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Just to let you guys know. I live 15 minutes from Hardwood. It just started to hammer down rain. It's 6:30. It should dry up quick though

sock puppet

hmmm,

i wonder how much precipitation can the grounds absorb before it is soaked... i am bringing mud tires, no doubt about it... just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Just to let you guys know. I live 15 minutes from Hardwood. It just started to hammer down rain. It's 6:30. It should dry up quick though

mtbr member
    Update, thunderstorm now

bi-winning
    Update, thunderstorm now
    Thanks for the updates Matt.

Even though the temperatures are going to be frigid, I'm really looking forward to the race.

Slick Rick
    What was happening there today? Drove by on my way back from riding at horseshoe and the place was packed.

I know the race is tomorrow, but anything special today?

sock puppet

preriding with

EMILY...

Quote Originally Posted by stefanb
    What was happening there today? Drove by on my way back from riding at horseshoe and the place was packed.

Singlespeed Mysty
    Update, thunderstorm now
    more like a we were in the middle of a tropcal storm...

good luck everyone...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates Matt.

Even though the temperatures are going to be frigid, I'm really looking forward to the race.
    All of the sudden 8 degrees is frigid...Amazing what a couple of months does to perspective...Sure, it will be a little cool, but this is Canada.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    All of the sudden 8 degrees is frigid...Amazing what a couple of months does to perspective...Sure, it will be a little cool, but this is Canada.
    I did see snow today fwiw. More commentary to come shortly.

bi-winning

Some pictures I took

dirt roadie
    Tough course, great conditions. If I lived closer I'd love to ride the trails just for fun, but in the race I was in WAY over my head in some of the sections. My bike handling skills need much improvement. I did finish the race at least, probably very near last place.

Edit: yup, 33rd with a 24 minute gap from the lead, ouch.

In the 9:30am race if a short guy wearing black on a Hei Hei was holding you up on the singletrack, I apologize.
    Last edited by zedfoto; 05-31-2009 at 03:04 PM.

bi-winning
    Good morning sunshine... wait... the sun is not up yet. Why is my alarm ringing? Oh, yeah, another one of those bike race thingies, at uh, Hardwood Hills. I love hardwood, sweet.

Took a quick scoot over to Fenwick to meet zedfoto. The fabulous concept that is carpooling allowed me to close my eyes just a little bit more. The thermometer on the dash said temperatures were around 3 or 4 degrees, with a nice wind. How "refreshing." (That one is for you mtbmeister )

I busted out the tights, long sleeves, cycling cap, and full finger gloves, and went for a casual warm-up. Headed to the start line.

When it was time to take off, somebody in front of me had a lot of trouble clipping in. No way around that for me, and I had to work really hard to try to stay close to the front. I wanted to start hard, and aim for a top 10. Very quickly, my quads let me know that they did not think that was a very good idea. Shame. Those guys are so fast. A couple might be in expert soon. Anyway, that first climb was killer, but I got up it, and carried on.

After just a couple position changes, I held my place behind a rather talented rider for a little while. That was really handy, as this was a very hard course to go out and race blind, without a pre-ride. Things like massive boulders, and rooty switchbacks can catch you off guard if you don't know what is coming. This rider was pushing me hard through the technical singletrack, and for a while, we were pretty even in climbing abilities. Made a small mistake, but pushed hard to catch up again. Not sure what happened, but somewhere (midway?) trough the race, he got away. Lost a few more positions after that. A couple juniors, and a master or two got by me as well.

On the third lap, I ran into many of the slower riders from the 9:30 start. Thankfully, I had no opponents nearby ahead of or behind me, so if I had to wait an extra second or two to pass, it was not a big deal. For the most part, passing went fine, as riders were cool, and there were many open sections.

The course was really challenging, and I loved it. The hills (first one especially) really laid the smack down on me. Lots of grunting, and heavy breathing to go along with the peddle mashing. The singletrack did its best to work me over as well. Choose your line wisely. Don't brake too much, you'll just have to work that much harder to get up to speed again. Careful! Don't go OTB. Go ahead, catch some air. Sick, or should I say, "radical." I managed to escape without crashing, but did have to dab a few times. I really like the style of trail that Hardwood Hills had to offer today.

So yeah, that's that. Stuck around for just a bit to watch some riders tackle the "boneshaker," and then we were off. Stopped at Timmies on the way home, and got meself an iced coffee and plain doughnut. Since we raced so early, we got home earlier than usual too. It's a trade off I guess.

I won't be up too late tonight. I hope nspace and nogears get home without collapsing. It was a WINDY day for a road ride home. You guys are like, super hardcore.
    Last edited by rkj__; 05-31-2009 at 03:04 PM.

sock puppet

it was SNOWING this morning...

albeit for 3-4 minutes... but it was SNOWING...

nonetheless, the race was a blast... great, tough, technical and challenging every foot of the way...

congrats to Peter and Tom on successfully completing 50 km warmup from Bolton to Hardwood Hills. Too bad you guys couldnt race. At least you will have good material for the blog.

I was quite fine with the fact that we didnt have to come down the Boneshaker... I have had enough fun on the course as it was... Great job everyone that finished today...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Check out A Channel Barrie sports, they're going to have some video
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Muskoka
    Always enjoy the race reports. Thanks I have to get back down to Hardwood for a few rides this season, it's been years.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

I Wanna Be Sedated

Good times!

Congratulations to Oggie for his podium finish. The only downside to it was that it kept me off the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    nonetheless, the race was a blast... great, tough, technical and challenging every foot of the way...
    I found the course tough both physically and requiring constant focus to keep the shiny side up during the second half of each lap. I was happy to finish without incident and the fourth place finish was just a bonus.
    Last edited by Jouko; 05-31-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Oh snap! Regaining the lead in the result linking cup standings:

http://hardwoodhills.ca/results/09canadacup/meet.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Had my anus served to me.

[ ... *****ing and moaning ... ]

So, gotta train more and make sure to pre-ride the next course. Glad I didn't crash today.

Edit: pics!

Full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shapeli...7618988644085/
    Last edited by shapelike; 05-31-2009 at 07:50 PM.

sock puppet

sounds intriguing...

care to elaborate?

was noggs involved?

Quote Originally Posted by shapelike
    Had my anus served to me.

[ ... *****ing and moaning ... ]

So, gotta train more and make sure to pre-ride the next course. Glad I didn't crash today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It wasn't anything spectacular, just a perfect storm of rookie mistakes, Murphy's Law and life getting in the way.

Oh well, this season seems to be all about learning the courses and finding out how fast I have to get to be competitive anyway. Long way to go still, but whatever. I actually would be competitive in the Beginner's cat but nobody is driving my sorry ass up to make those start times, so it's a trial-by-fire in Sport for me.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by shapelike

Hey thats me!

Awesome camera skills, you make it look as if i know what im doing, brakes clenched and all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice, I was hoping to randomly catch some people from the forums! I know how you feel about coming across one of those, "Hey, I actually look like I know what I'm doing!" photos. I'm trying to get karma on my side so one day I'll spot one of myself.

mtbr member
    Hey osokolo and tapsa, congratulations on your placings. I wish I could have been there for the race. Looks like the weather was reasonable too, although a little cold.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    OMG, it SNOWED! That's all you need to know about the conditions. Wow.

I had my best Canada Cup yet (there are numbers and such on the score sheet to prove it too! ). While that's not saying much, I was thrilled with my race. It was a tough course that really exposed my various strengths and weaknesses. It seemed like EVERYONE was in the 9:30 start and all that traffic made things extra challenging!

I could watch the Elites ride down Boneshaker all day... well I guess I kinda did! Derek and Emily barely looked like they were trying. Great stuff!

EDIT: I was just combing through the results and saw Sean finished ahead of Adam! Wow, tight!
    Last edited by garage monster; 06-01-2009 at 06:14 AM.

sock puppet

thanks bud,

we have been having quite enjoyable season so far... we are so close in aptitude right now, that most races are decided in the last few hundred meters... last Tuesday night - it was a sprint finish... tapsa is doing great in his only second season of racing - once he gets more experience in the singletrack - he will be gone... until then every race is so tight that we can maintain visual of each other until the last stretch...

i am still savouring the moment from Canada Cup... now i have to work on few things myself - like clearing that ramp/rock stunt and not chickening around it... geez, that costed me half a minute and some pride...

great race... to bad you had to skip it... everything else is just hammering, compared to Hardwood...

Yeah, Sean was quite fast on Sunday...

Hey osokolo and tapsa, congratulations on your placings. I wish I could have been there for the race. Looks like the weather was reasonable too, although a little cold.

mtbr member
    I agree tapsa is getting too good. Maybe I can join the Sport class and we gang up on him. You kick him silly, while I hold his bike (we don't want to damage that beautiful bike, right?). Let's see how fast he is after a good, solid, old-fashioned beating.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Hey thats me!

Awesome camera skills, you make it look as if i know what im doing, brakes clenched and all.
    He is pretty excellent with a camera, and that's a really great shot. The sun came out in full force for the afternoon race, which was nice I'm sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I didn't have a very good start to my day, I blew up my rear wheel on the fire road less than 2km off the start. However it gave me a chance to hang out and grab a few photos of friends and riders I don't usually get a shot of.

The rest of the set can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocket-...7619037345315/

See everyone at Boler this weekend

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Photograph
    I didn't have a very good start to my day, I blew up my rear wheel on the fire road less than 2km off the start. However it gave me a chance to hang out and grab a few photos of friends and riders I don't usually get a shot of.
    Love the first and last shot. Nice roots, and nice air.

It's a shame your race ended early.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Oooh, you used a big boy camera - nice photos! I'm determined to just bring my little G10 to races this season to force myself to learn how to pull off a decent mid-race photo with it.

So far I've had to set a focal point and wait (AF isn't fast enough), plus lead a lot more with the shutter (the shutter delay also takes some getting used to). On-camera fill flash FTW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great photos in this thread.
    Now those are photos I'd buy if they were of me...
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

Evil Jr.
    Wow, if that's how you're supposed to be tackling that big boulder with the ramp-up, that's a pretty vivid illustration of a place for me to improve!

Amazing shot of Adam and Sean! I can just imaging the chatter that was going on at the time. Heh.

Team Speed Co-Founder
    Updated O-Cup Standings have been posted

http://www.chicoracing.com/html/inde...le&sid=308#MS0
    Thou Shalt Always Respect the Plight

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSpeed
    Updated O-Cup Standings have been posted.
    Ah, the sweet embrace of mediocrity!

mtbr member
    garage_monster: Ah, the sweet embrace of mediocrity!

I feel your pain (just a little sharper). I think the allure of the singlespeed class is slowly slipping away from a few people. Let's face it, it has become the playground for experts.

I am too far back to worry, but when I see strong riders like nspace and nogearshere riding 50K to the race venues, you know that they cannot possibly care about the race and the standings. Or at least that is how I read it.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by TSpeed
    Updated O-Cup Standings have been posted

http://www.chicoracing.com/html/inde...le&sid=308#MS0
    Not really sure how I feel about that....
    Last edited by rkj__; 06-02-2009 at 04:55 PM.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Great photos in this thread.
    Yes & they make Sunday appear to have had great weather .
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Riding SS and not being an expert myself...well yet anyway...I enjoy the racing and feel more challenged by just riding my age group. I hold my own and have some good spirited competition in this group whereas I just get pounded in SS.
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer and vice-grips...it don't need fixin!

mtbr member
    I am too far back to worry, but when I see strong riders like nspace and nogearshere riding 50K to the race venues, you know that they cannot possibly care about the race and the standings. Or at least that is how I read it.
    It doesn't bug me too much to be honest. I like doing the OCUPs and have a blast, and I'll continue to race SS regardless of how stacked the competition is. The fact that I am leagues away from a seemingly unattainable podium spot is whatever...., I just want to race my bike.

In the US I think there is a greater range (skill/speed-wise) of SS riders in some areas that they have multiple levels of competition, but right now I just don't think there is the numbers to justify that and that's cool with me (I mean on a good day there is more than 20 racers). I WOULD however love to race 4 laps in the category and do it at a potentially later start time if that was ever an option.

Also, in regards to road riding up to the race at Hardwood, we had every intention of racing (our MTB's were there), but the registration cut-off was much earlier than normal OCUPs and we were denied entry to the race. Mr. Lepper also had the same thing happen to him. Riding there was more so an excuse to log some miles rather than a lack of interest in being competitive.

mtbr member
    nspace,

Sorry to hear that you missed the cut-off, I can imagine how disappointed you must have been.

BTW, I know you guys had every intention to race after the ride up to Hardwood. I have seen Peter do this at Mansfield and he still kicked ass.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    I'm in no position to be competitive in SS but I really believe that racing makes me a better rider in general. I can really see the difference when I get into group rides with "non-racers".

There's something about the thrill of the chase (even if it's for second-last place) that makes me dig deeper than I would if were just riding on my own and lord knows I can use all the help I can get.

Serious, you could always just race in your age group on your SS instead. Thomas Wood did that on Sunday and he did just fine! PLUS, the social aspect of the races is FANTASTIC. It's like one-stop-shopping for seeing friends, making new ones and talking about bikes!

Misfit Psycles
    garage_monster:
    not that i'm counting but it was approximately almost actually 97.2km each way...

i care about results...but mostly the results i'm looking for are personal.
    for example a 7th place this year isn't necessarily worse then 5th last year.

great to see so many people out there racing. good for the sport. good for us.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    I love the "Flying Chico" shot

Members who have read this thread: 0