Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 96
  1. #1
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,845

    Official Mansfield OCup#1 Thread

    'tis that time again.

    Where sausage suits and excuses reign supreme.

    Perfect Early Season Classic Course, Great for First Time Participants!

    Register for the full season and get an Ontario Cup shirt.

    The Course
    With southern exposure and sandy soil, frost-laiden mud-fests are an unlikely proposition. A great network of singletrack, climbs and a spectator-friendly route cap off a great early season course.

    Pre-Riding
    As Mansfield is no longer an operational riding center, and because they have school groups in during the day, pre-riding is limited. Pre-riding starts at 4pm on Friday, April 29, and is open all day Saturday, with pre-riding fees of $9 including HST applicable on both days.

    Mansfield Breakfast - morning of the race
    Pancakes, sausages, coffee or tea wil be available at Mansfield the morning of the event.

    Event Requirements
    9:00 am races Citizen Permit ($45 adult, $35 17-18 youth, $30 16 and under) or OCA Licence OR one day permits are available on site for $12 ($8 for 14 and under).
    10:00 or 11:45 am races Citizen Permit for Try-an-Ocup and Singlespeed, full licences for others, or $12 one day (max 3 per season).
    1:30 pm races OCA licence is required for all categories.

    Riders must all have an approved cycling helmet and a mountain bike in working order.

    What race category is right for me to start in?
    9:00 am Beginner Men's and Women's categories are for riders without much off roading mountain bike experience and/or racing experience.
    10:00 am or 11:45 am (depending on age) Try-An-Ocup or Sport Level Categories are for riders with a good mountain bike experience base and probably some experience racing.
    1:30 pm Expert/Elite Level Racing is something to shoot for, but you can't start in these categories.
    Guide for Selecting a Race Category

    For more information on OCA Licences please visit www.ontariocycling.org.
    http://chicoracing.com/2011-mountain...-schedule.html



    I havent decided whether ill be racing. I'm moving into my sweet new apartment on Saturday, and since ive joined the full time workforce, i've realized free time is hard to come by, so theres a good chance ill be stuck assembling ikea furniture all sunday.

  2. #2
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511

    After all the complaints about long winter

    this O-Cup kinda comes too quickly. I don't even know if I will be able to pre-ride - my work may be in the way as well...

    However, Mansfield is a good start of the racing season, so I will race it regardless. I just don't know how my legs will like an additional lap...

    I hope that the squishy will compensate somewhat for extended race mileage.

    Look forward to seeing all the familiar faces, again...

    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    'tis that time again.

    Where sausage suits and excuses reign supreme.

    Perfect Early Season Classic Course, Great for First Time Participants!

    Register for the full season and get an Ontario Cup shirt.

    The Course
    With southern exposure and sandy soil, frost-laiden mud-fests are an unlikely proposition. A great network of singletrack, climbs and a spectator-friendly route cap off a great early season course.

    Pre-Riding
    As Mansfield is no longer an operational riding center, and because they have school groups in during the day, pre-riding is limited. Pre-riding starts at 4pm on Friday, April 29, and is open all day Saturday, with pre-riding fees of $9 including HST applicable on both days.

    Mansfield Breakfast - morning of the race
    Pancakes, sausages, coffee or tea wil be available at Mansfield the morning of the event.

    Event Requirements
    9:00 am races Citizen Permit ($45 adult, $35 17-18 youth, $30 16 and under) or OCA Licence OR one day permits are available on site for $12 ($8 for 14 and under).
    10:00 or 11:45 am races Citizen Permit for Try-an-Ocup and Singlespeed, full licences for others, or $12 one day (max 3 per season).
    1:30 pm races OCA licence is required for all categories.

    Riders must all have an approved cycling helmet and a mountain bike in working order.

    What race category is right for me to start in?
    9:00 am Beginner Men's and Women's categories are for riders without much off roading mountain bike experience and/or racing experience.
    10:00 am or 11:45 am (depending on age) Try-An-Ocup or Sport Level Categories are for riders with a good mountain bike experience base and probably some experience racing.
    1:30 pm Expert/Elite Level Racing is something to shoot for, but you can't start in these categories.
    Guide for Selecting a Race Category

    For more information on OCA Licences please visit www.ontariocycling.org.
    http://chicoracing.com/2011-mountain...-schedule.html



    I havent decided whether ill be racing. I'm moving into my sweet new apartment on Saturday, and since ive joined the full time workforce, i've realized free time is hard to come by, so theres a good chance ill be stuck assembling ikea furniture all sunday.

  3. #3
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Yeah, I'm going to go and hang out for the day, and play in the dirt a bit. Should be fun.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,558

    I'm in...

    Well, this race is officially the first of 2011 for me. I am really looking forward to it despite wishing for a less serious foray into the race scene first. Oh well, that's the way it goes, so no complaining here.

    Hoping for a pre-ride Friday or Saturday and a kind Mother Nature on race day. As Oggie mentioned, it will be nice to see many familiar smiling faces out there! Good luck to those racing!

    Neil
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  5. #5
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    For the first time in a couple years, I will be missing this and select other O-Cups. In the case of #1 this year, it is due to more completely embracing my roadie-at-heart and heading off to London for Springbank.

    It is tough to pass up racing at Mansfield, one of my favourite venues, but as was pointed out to me in conversation today it's probably best that I actually spend some time riding off road before I jump into a mountain bike race lest I let my fitness get the better of my skill (or lack thereof) and put myself into a tree (as I have many times before).

    All the best to those racing. I'll be thinking of you and those trails for sure!

  6. #6
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511

    I think

    you should absolutely positively race at Mansfield...

    By now, you should be able to race it blindfolded...

    Don't trust those naysayers...

    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    For the first time in a couple years, I will be missing this and select other O-Cups. In the case of #1 this year, it is due to more completely embracing my roadie-at-heart and heading off to London for Springbank.

    It is tough to pass up racing at Mansfield, one of my favourite venues, but as was pointed out to me in conversation today it's probably best that I actually spend some time riding off road before I jump into a mountain bike race lest I let my fitness get the better of my skill (or lack thereof) and put myself into a tree (as I have many times before).

    All the best to those racing. I'll be thinking of you and those trails for sure!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,032
    Pre-registered for the entire series. Looking forward to Mansfield and all the grueling climbs! Going to be a stomach-emptier for sure.

    Also moving into a new apartment this month, but determined not to sacrifice racing!

    See you all there! Going to try to head up after work on Friday for a pre-ride if the weather is decent.

  8. #8
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    'tis that time again.

    Where sausage suits and excuses reign supreme.
    Excuse #1: Mrs. Monster, Louda, Superfly Craig and I are off to NYC to do the Five Boros Tour. Already got our day-glo numbered safety vests in the mail. Never been to the Big Apple before and this was always the way I wanted to see it first. Homebase will be the south end of Manhattan. So kewl! (Enjoy the mud, suckers!)
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,032
    GM: I have 2 good restaurant recommendations for y'all!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,480
    I signed up for the entire series.

    I've 'focused' on more endurance style training the past (that is code for I never rode with much intensity). Hence, the few OCUP's I've done have gotten the better of me. I've decided to try to change that this year.

    I'll be battling it out in sport hoping to make my way to expert over the course of the season.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    187
    I decided that I would race the Ocup series this year and while at it I upgraded to Expert already. Sunday should be a humbling experience. I won't be going all the way to Mansfield to preride but will drive early day off. I don't think it will really affect my hang on until you drop strategy. Should be a fun day, can't wait to finally ride some trails.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,994
    I would like to do the race. I am travelling this week again, so I shall do my best to maintain what I've got. I really need to pre-ride however. I know Mansfield well enough, but the mountain bike looks rather foreign to me now.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EvilScience's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    220
    Thinking of checking out the Ocup series this year (previously just MTB for fun, raced a bit of 'cross the last 3 years).

    I have two questions for those more experienced:
    1) I'll likely be using my old singlespeed (assuming I find a new freewheel this week)... how rough is the SS class? Or should I go with the beginner category.
    2) I will certainly not be able to get out to preride, is this a very bad thing?

    Thanks!

  14. #14
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilScience
    Thinking of checking out the Ocup series this year (previously just MTB for fun, raced a bit of 'cross the last 3 years).

    I have two questions for those more experienced:
    1) I'll likely be using my old singlespeed (assuming I find a new freewheel this week)... how rough is the SS class? Or should I go with the beginner category.
    2) I will certainly not be able to get out to preride, is this a very bad thing?

    Thanks!
    1)SS has a little bit of everything in it so it really ranges a broad spectrum of abilities. Chances are very good that you'll find someone to race in there that's a good match for you.

    2)Depends on how much riding you've done at Mansfield before. There are usually two tough climbs per lap there (that stupid gravel hill of death and something like O2 Debt) and a killer descent just before the Start/Finish. Everything else is pretty much just rolling and fun.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  15. #15
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511

    SS class

    has some of the best riders in it - very fast. However - that should not deter you from joining the fun. If podium is all you care about - you may tear up the beginner category, but what for?

    I would go with the big boys if I were you.

    Mansfield is not very technical, as you may know... Long grinding opening climb and then some very smooth singletrack after that... After the first lap - you will know everything you need to know...

    Good luck....

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilScience
    Thinking of checking out the Ocup series this year (previously just MTB for fun, raced a bit of 'cross the last 3 years).

    I have two questions for those more experienced:
    1) I'll likely be using my old singlespeed (assuming I find a new freewheel this week)... how rough is the SS class? Or should I go with the beginner category.
    2) I will certainly not be able to get out to preride, is this a very bad thing?

    Thanks!

  16. #16
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilScience
    Thinking of checking out the Ocup series this year (previously just MTB for fun, raced a bit of 'cross the last 3 years).

    I have two questions for those more experienced:
    1) I'll likely be using my old singlespeed (assuming I find a new freewheel this week)... how rough is the SS class? Or should I go with the beginner category.
    2) I will certainly not be able to get out to preride, is this a very bad thing?

    Thanks!
    1) The SS class has a HUGE range of talent, since it is classified as "open." There are some very fast riders in it, and also some that are a little more human. If you want, you can compare the results of the past SS races to your sport age group which does the same number of laps.

    2) Mansfield is not particularly technical, so you don't need to worry too much about pre-riding if it is not convenient for you, IMHO. If you are planning on winning, it helps to know where everything is before you get to it, but for somebody like myself just chasing a mid-pack finish, it's not a big deal. Use a little caution on the first lap while you feel out the course. You can then empty the tank on the following laps.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,032
    Not looking forward to the obligatory double climbs perlap. That is going to hurt on lap 2, never mind 3. Watch out for flying upchuck on my second pass of the gravel hill of doom. According to my calculations, that's my prediction.

    This weeks weather is sure going to make things interesting.

  18. #18
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    This weeks weather is sure going to make things interesting.
    OMG what tires should I run? I have black ones, knobby ones, and round ones. The knobby ones are on my bike now, but I was thinking of switching to the black ones.

    Thanks.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  19. #19
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    OMG what tires should I run? I have black ones, knobby ones, and round ones? The knobby ones are on my bike now, but I was thinking of switching to the black ones.

    Thanks.
    If I were you, I'd use the round ones. They roll better and let off a very pleasant pine scent.

    kthxbai!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  20. #20
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511

    something is telling me that

    this year will be the year of white tires.

    catch up!

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    OMG what tires should I run? I have black ones, knobby ones, and round ones. The knobby ones are on my bike now, but I was thinking of switching to the black ones.

    Thanks.

  21. #21
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511

    Is this optional?

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    You can then empty the tank on the following laps.
    It usually happens on my second lap.

    Can you help me with my bad planning so that I at least extend it to the last lap?

  22. #22
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Is this optional?

    It usually happens on my second lap.

    Can you help me with my bad planning so that I at least extend it to the last lap?
    It depends what your goals and objectives are for the race. On a scale of A to C, how important is this race to you?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  23. #23
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511

    I mostly want to look good

    and beat a sucker or two if I can, this year. Any advice is appreciated. The race is A-1 important to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    It depends what your goals and objectives are for the race. On a scale of A to C, how important is this race to you?

  24. #24
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    and beat a sucker or two if I can, this year. Any advice is appreciated. The race is A-1 important to me.
    "See that look in their eyes, osokolo? You gotta get that look back, osokolo. Eye of the tiger, man."
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  25. #25
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Any advice is appreciated. The race is A-1 important to me.
    Wear lots of white. Winners wear white, yards of it.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •