Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Official all-things-Woodstock mountain biking thread

Just wondering if theres anyone from Woodstock Ontario thats rides frequently? Id like to join ya

Perpetual Hack
    I live in Tillsonburg.
    The crew and I ride the Pines on a regular basis.
    If you see (usually on a Wed night) a bunch of DH bikes railing the berms on the 354 trail that would be us.
    One of my best friends lives in Woodstock - he also rides the pines on a Titus ElGuapo.

I'm on a Knolly Delirium or a Knolly Podium.

michael

ps - I won't be riding much for a bit, - was just in a car accident last wed - just a little bit sore.
    (had a guy make an illegal turn in front of me - I T-boned him at about 90km - wrote the car off, but luckily not myself)
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Scotty... think you messaged me on PinkBike last year about riding in Woodstock, lol! What bike do you ride out here, have we run into each other on the trails yet?

I have thought about starting a Woodstock thread here in MTBR Ontario with trail maps, photos, witty banter and irrelevant news... anyone think that's a good idea? Woodstock Cycling Club has a Facebook page but I don't do Facebook so, umm, ya.

There are a bunch of locals that ride the trails but it's a free-for-all, no real set riding times or group rides, people just happen to run into each other on after-work rides or weekend rides. That said, group rides do happen just rather spontaneously.

I'm out there Monday and Wednesday nights helping with the Youth Program. I'm also out there randomly being a Berm Donor And sometimes I'll just ride out from town and boot around the trails for a bit.

Michael I've definitely run into you and your crew out there hitting the gravel-pit jump! Are you talking about me or is there another fella out there riding an El Guapo? May 2-4 weekend we did a group ride at the Don Valley trails and I ran into a guy on a 2nd-gen frame and had a quick "hey! I got the same bike!" talk with him, there are definitely a couple frames running around here in Ontario.

also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyPb View Post
    Just wondering if theres anyone from Woodstock Ontario thats rides frequently?
    If the thread starter ScottyPb doesn't mind I could change the thread title for you guys to make this the "Official Woodstock mountain biking thread" or whatever else you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
    I have thought about starting a Woodstock thread here in MTBR Ontario with trail maps, photos, witty banter and irrelevant news...

Perpetual Hack
    VR6ix

A buddy who lives in Woodstock has a small grey ElGuapo with a Lyric / RP23.
    His name is also michael.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't mind at all. I think it's a great idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    VR6ix

A buddy who lives in Woodstock has a small grey ElGuapo with a Lyric / RP23.
    His name is also michael.

michael
    That's awesome... haven't seen that bike around yet.
    Andrew.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    im just starting to ride more aggressively So I havnt been out to the pines yet. But I plan to real soon. Ill be riding an 07 Specialized Hardrock SS , black. I just got the bike a month ago and have spent that time getting it working and looking good

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had an Awsome day in Paris today. I think its called barkers bush. that place is full of trails. Lots of jumps, a lot of down hill but also alot of up hill. Theres some seriously challenging runs there. Just thought id share that with you guys, you should check it out if you havnt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got rid of the tensioner...made my self a half link

Official all-things-Woodstock mountain biking thread-1019976_571469352904632_142045114_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Official all-things-Woodstock mountain biking thread-k6qu.jpg

i'm from woodstock. i don't really have a time that i go there. i usually go around noon the last little while to the pines. thinking of going up to joyride this week to see what their set up is like. if i can get some time to this weekend, i may head out to kitchener for the hydrocut *shrug*

nimble biker
    wait a minute. I thought there are only hippies in woodstock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    nope just teenagers that get knocked up that hang out at tim hortons, and the meth addicts that hang out at the fountain downtown.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SFW84 View Post
    nope just teenagers that get knocked up that hang out at tim hortons, and the meth addicts that hang out at the fountain downtown.
    Nailed it!!! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    well i've learnt that if there's any mud at all? the race kings i've got my wheels ain't going to do jack squat at the pines. man i'd hate to try them in real mud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ya it was pretty slippery yesterday. I had a good day in Paris. Just a little mucky in spots.

mtbr member
    Ha, first thing I noticed here in town was all the kids with kids! Now all I notice is the urban McMansion sprawl creeping all along the outside of the city

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yeah well those people that work at toyota and the supporting plants got to live somewhere! most of them are lego houses and aren't very expensive. i know this just because i'm friends with some of the bigger builders. i just hate those people from those neighbourhoods that run in packs for some reason, on the roads when i am visiting friends.

mtbr member
    Any way, bikes!

Woodstock Cycling Club is the original WCC since 1896 (sorry Waterloo but we love you too! Hydrocut rocks! And you guys get WAY more people out for trail-work days! RESPECT).

**OLD** Trail Map (PDF file link):
    http://www.woodstockcyclingclub.ca/pdf/trail_map.pdf

Speaking of Trail Maps, this is a good point in time to mention that there are *NEW* trail signs out at The Pines! ... aaaaand none of the trail numbers on the old map will match-up any more. New map coming soon!?? Trails are all the same as the old map basically. This isn't 3 Stage, you can't get THAT lost out here...

Green is an easier route that will lead to/from the parking lot. Red is the standard intermediate trail. Black is the more difficult off-cuts and extra loops. 354 is the megasweet trail with 350m elevation change and 4 switch-back descent/climbs. There's other stuff too, like the Wall Ride and the Gravel Pit booter and The Toilet Bowl, and the poor pump track that is actually pretty descent but it just needs a serious run-in with the weed wackers.

Trail base is sand and gravel so it drains very well. The top organic layer is still slick in the wet but it's thin, and wet roots are wet roots no mater where you are in the world, BUT you can ride The Pines in a downpour without too much extra trouble. It's very similar to the pines sections Puslinch, just without the mixed hardwood technical trails found on the South trails. Awesome late fall/early winter riding since it takes a long time for the snow to start accumulating. Downside is the land is low and close to the river so it's proper wet in the spring for a while. Drainage is why so much of the land is realistically unusable when you look at the maps.

Nevegals always work at The Pines. Fast tires with tiny knobs are great in the dry. Anything tacky or damp or full-on wet needs good rubber with low pressures, PERIOD. You're only as fast as your lines and your tires on many parts of these trails, but Legs and Lungs will prevail on all the rest unless it's slick as $#!^ and you have no finesse. There is no proper Ontario technical riding out here, just the obstacles we manufacture.

All trail work performed strictly by volunteers (Hi! ) so come on out and grab a shovel or man a weed wacker or swing a rake for a while. Apparently there's a FacePlace page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=301728763256 which can be a great way to check what's going on. Personally I have a severe allergy to data-mining masquerading as "social media" so I stick with forums instead.

And then here's the deal: The land we use for trails is leased from the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority. Part of the lease is insurance... dot dot dot, it's supposed to be "Members Only".

That said, please get out and try the trails!!! If you visit often enough during the season please consider going to Pedal Power Bikes & Boards in Downtown Woodstock and buying a membership to the club. The $50 helps support the trails by financing the lease and insurance, covering the trail maintenance expenses, funding the costs for the annual 6hr Dairy Capitol Classic Relay Race, and supporting the Annual General Meeting in the winter where everyone is invited to re-cap the season with food and drink and cheer and merriment etc. In reality, we go ride all the other trail systems out in Ontario, so we hope you like our trails is the bottom line.

There is a coin box by the main signs in the parking lot if you feel like tossing a bit of change our way to buy some gas for the mower and weed wackers. From the looks of things we need a separate barrel for empty beer cans & bottles, those are as good as gas money too THIS IS A GOOD POINT TO SAY: DON'T @%^#ING LITTER OUT HERE, EH??? Use the garbage cans people! thx! Props to any riders that pick-up after careless trail users.

PLEASE YELL, SCREAM AND CURSE AT ANY RIDERS YOU SEE WITHOUT A HELMET!!! Seriously, there are plenty of miscreants that ride out from town to see these trails, PLEASE harp on them harshly about riding WITHOUT a helmet. Just use an ounce of judgement as you lay into them. And if you ride-in on the Back Door, please watch for fishing-people on the gravel path under the rail bridge, it's over-grown in the summer and hard to see people around corners. Oh, that's right: there's the Pittock Trail all the way from the West end of the Thames going all the way out to the Toyota Rail Bridge, fantastic warm-up ride instead of driving to the trail head.

Any who, we have also been running a Youth Program recently with very encouraging results! Twice weekly rides with local riders helping the kids to develop basic and advanced skills to have fun out on the trails. It's been fantastic to watch these young riders become familiar with the trails and grow their riding skills! Just one benefit of rampart procreation is plenty of young talent to turn onto the singletrack... kidding! But really, this is cool, and it's growing bigger!

There are myriad social rides throughout the year as well for road rides, mountain bike rides, destination rides, event rides, etc. It's not just mountain bikes, there are lots of club activities! Did I mention that Woodstock finally has a public concrete "skate park" for any 20"-wheel people? And plenty of urban riding for all sorts of styles?

As mentioned, we put on the 6-hour Dairy Capitol Classic relay race each fall, and last year boasted the best weather in a while and the largest racer turn-out ever! This year the DCC 6hr Race is Saturday September 14th, the 14th Annual Race, please car-pool because if last year is any indication we're gonna run out of parking this year!

I think that cover things. Feel free to copy-paste this post into any other relevant local forums
    Last edited by VR6ix; 07-22-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: you your extra r it took a while to catch that, whooops!

Nice day for a ride.....
    Good info VR6ix

Do they still offer the $10 trial membership? I only get out to the Pines once a year on average and drop a twoonie in the box, I'd like to get out there a couple more times a year and support the club without being a full fledged member, as my club dues for the year go to my local club.

The trail improvements that have been done in the last couple of years are great BTW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Do they still offer the $10 trial membership? I only get out to the Pines once a year on average and drop a twoonie in the box, I'd like to get out there a couple more times a year and support the club without being a full fledged member, as my club dues for the year go to my local club.

The trail improvements that have been done in the last couple of years are great BTW.
    Excellent question, I will ask, don't know if they're doing that this season or not. Thanks for coming out! If you're only out once or twice a season I wouldn't worry about it much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i keep riding past that one part of the trail that's still closed, awaiting to see when it's finally going to be open that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    and with the rain? unless you've got something with at least a little bit of the side walls with some grip and those tires are rated to handle mud, man don't even think about it. holy monkey. i fell on my ass a couple of times in the first portion alone today! gave up, went to pedal power and promptly order an x king tire for the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    and with the rain? unless you've got something with at least a little bit of the side walls with some grip and those tires are rated to handle mud, man don't even think about it. holy monkey. i fell on my ass a couple of times in the first portion alone today! gave up, went to pedal power and promptly order an x king tire for the rear wheel.
    You're right, with all this rain recently it's best to run a big aggressive tire and just live with the extra weight and slower rolling speed. I pumped my 2.5" Nevegals to 35psi about 2 months ago, they have settled nicely into the mid 20's with time but almost ready to pinch-flat now. Grippy tires are great in the wet or damp, but fast tires are soooo fast out here in the dry! It's a tough balance for sure! Certainly makes the race weekend very interesting. I have heard good things about Racing Ralph's and Slant 6 tires in the dry. A semi-slick in the back and a fast front tire with good cornering & braking would be king in the dry if you want to set lap records.

We're a couple solid days of work away from re-opening the old #2/new #4 trail entrance (just call it "Deer Run" because that's the trail name)... most of the big work is done but the top section needs massaging to generate speed for the downhill berm, and the bottom part needs the big tree ride-over figured out. In the mean time, please use the lower entrance and ride the rest of the trail. Pretty sure we're going to re-visit the new berms in the middle and get them set-up better as well, it works right now but feels awkward at mega speeds.
    Last edited by VR6ix; 08-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yeah some of the stuff looks pretty awesome that's for sure. i see that green on the right sides needs a weed wacker to it, so if i get bored maybe i'll swing over there and do that tomorrow. i was just walking to someone on the facebook page and sounds like he's going out there sunday to do some work. no idea what, but screw it i know how to use power tools and shovel.
    are you talking the stuff that's after the 354 or whatever it's called portion? it does seem weird to me. or is there a start off position somewhere else to that portion?
    i run 2.2's. i always like it as a good balance to me. i'm not out here to race anyone, just out to burn off the energy and have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast