Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rad to the power of sick

Official 2008 XC Ontario Cup Hype Thread

Im bored, under the wrath of sinusitus and not feeling like studying for exams.

sooo...

With the start of the XC OCup race season less than a month away, who can i expect to bump into this year? What are your goals this year? What are you looking forward to?

Me?

Ill be racing my first full year in Senior Expert, last year i was a mid to bottom pack finisher and had several strokes of bad luck towards the end of the race season. This year im aiming for an average finishing position around 10th place. I plan on attending all of the OCups including the Canada cup. However, i probably wont attend the Boler Ocup cause i cant stand that place. Its my achilles heel.

What about you guys?

mtbr member
    I've been out of racing for years. Actually out of MTB riding for years, but last year I didnt get a new road bike and started riding my MTB again. Well as you can guess, I fell back in love with mountain biking. This year I plan on doing a few O-cups in the senior sport catagory to see how things go. Kelso is on my birthday so I want to do well in that race. ( kinda to fight the feeling of getting old). all the others are just going to be for fun.
    I have a team in the summer solstice race as well.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Im bored, under the wrath of sinusitus and not feeling like studying for exams.

sooo...

With the start of the XC OCup race season less than a month away, who can i expect to bump into this year? What are your goals this year? What are you looking forward to?

Me?

Ill be racing my first full year in Senior Expert, last year i was a mid to bottom pack finisher and had several strokes of bad luck towards the end of the race season. This year im aiming for an average finishing position around 10th place. I plan on attending all of the OCups including the Canada cup. However, i probably wont attend the Boler Ocup cause i cant stand that place. Its my achilles heel.

What about you guys?
    You can expect to see me at some O-Cup races this year. I actually got a UCI license this year, so I am not limited to three one-days. So, I hope to attend most of the races.

My goals? Hmm, mostly just to have fun again i guess. I'll be in Senior Sport for my second year, and I'll be aiming for mid to upper mid pack finishes.

I'm looking forward chasing people i know are faster than me.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    Ah i forgot about Kelso, im really looking forward to that race. Lots of climbing and my home turf, for once i wont have to get up super early to hit the road as its only 15mins from home.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Ah i forgot about Kelso, im really looking forward to that race. Lots of climbing and my home turf, for once i wont have to get up super early to hit the road as its only 15mins from home.
    I have never raced Kelso before, and hope to make it out to that one.

I'm not expecting strong finishes in the early season races though.

I'm going for a ride now.
    Last edited by rkj__; 04-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I will be racing again in the open SS category. I even have a UCI license to convince myself that I belong on the starting line. I am aiming to enter 4-5 O-Cup races, including the Canada Cup. I am also considering doing the Hardwood Hills 8 hour Epics (summer and fall) as a solo. There is no conflict with the O-Cups.

My training has been going very well. I am no longer skiing, so weekends are dedicated to riding and it makes a huge difference. I try to get 9-11 hours of riding per week. Come April 27 I should be in top form (for my level), so no excuses from me.

superlightracer what is wrong with Boler? I am thinking of going there this year.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I try to get 9-11 hours of riding per week. Come April 27 I should be in top form (for my level), so no excuses from me.

superlightracer what is wrong with Boler? I am thinking of going there this year.
    I've been trying to get 9-11 hours of riding per month. I have excuses.

Supa' doesn't like Boler because the memories of me beating him last year make him sad.
    Last edited by rkj__; 04-02-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__

Supa' doesn't like Boler because the memories of me beating him last year make him sad.
    Like he says, you know its time to quit when guys like rkj_ finish in front of you. jks jks.. that was a hard earned finish you got last year.

Boler is the bane of my existence, ive raced there 5 times during OCups or UCups.. I hate the course, i dont even know why, its no more difficult than any other venue, and most people i know, love the course. However ive ALWAYS done poorly at the venue. I cant find rhythm, i overcalculate turns bla bla bla..

Im just gonna use the weekend to save 50$ and get prepared for the next race.
    Last edited by superlightracer; 04-03-2008 at 06:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ooops, double post!
    Last edited by racergurl; 04-03-2008 at 06:05 AM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll be racing in the elite womens category for the first time this year. Gulp. Had the points to go up and figured why the heck not. Now I'll get to do another lap and make my drive out to these races all the more worth it. More ride time!!!!

My goal for the year is not to finish last.
    Put 17 hours in on the bike last week, 13 the week before and 10 the week before. That, plus a few hours of yoga, weights, and some runs/elliptical trainer sessions for the month of March. That said, I am starting the season off with a whole lot more base training then last year, so it'll be interesting to see how I do.
    Now if I could only drop this last 8 pounds.

I also can't stand Boler. Don't think I'll bother going to that O-Cup. I can't really say why I don't care for that course either, other then it just seemed boring to me. However I'm really looking forward to going to Buckwallow again. Now that course was fun. Kept me on my toes anyway!

Even more then the Ontario Cups, I am looking forward to the return of the Enduro series, the 8 hour relays, Hot August nights that I'm doing solo for the first time and the grand finale of the year, the Crank the Sheild race!
    By the end of the season I'm going to have to pry my bike seat off of my a$$ with a crowbar.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I'll be racing in the elite womens category for the first time this year. Gulp. Had the points to go up and figured why the heck not. Now I'll get to do another lap and make my drive out to these races all the more worth it. More ride time!!!!
    What a great attitude! It's my wife's plan to try to upgrade from Sport to Expert ASAP for the same reason (more laps!).

The plan for now is for me to attend all the OCUPS as a spectator. Unfortunately, neither my wife nor I have ever done an OCUP, so we'd both be racing Sport and therefore in the same start time, and bringing along a babysitter for three kids 7 and under isn't really an option (nor is leaving them at home). She called "shotgun" on the OCUPS back in January, so I'll be hanging out with the kids and enjoying the races. I'm kind of hoping that we might go to at least a couple of them on the Saturday, and I might get to do a couple of laps on the course, but other than that, they're all hers this year.

I do get to do a weekly series, some road races, maybe an 8 hour, and some citizen's events/Enduro's, so I'll still get my fill of racing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bring it on!!!!

I have bought my UCI licence and Full 0-cup Series....Sr. Expert Women. I figured if I paid ahead when I had the $$ - I would have no excuses. I have been training way more that any other year as I am also doing IRONMAN Lake Placid in July (1st Triathalon EVER!!)...so I needed to train...A LOT. Thought I would mix up the trainner a bit during the winter with some running and swimming.....feels like it is paying off.... But I have a LONG LONG way to go until July....and another 10-15 lbs. I will probably be taking it easy at Boler (2 weeks before the Ironman)...however - I do like that course...and I may be DEAD for Buckwallow - 2 weeks AFTER Ironman.....so we will see. I just ran Around the Bay 30km running road race, and I was happy with my result and how I was feeling (I just started running this year....).... so something is working.
    A few long rides these next few weekends....brush up on my Technical snow/mud riding at Uxbridge....and I should be ready for O-cup #1!!!!

rad to the power of sick
    Anyone know what the cold creek venue will be like? Given its proximity to Albion, I imagine much of the same stuff. A definite win in my books. I heart wide hard pack.

mtbr member
    Don't know Cold Creek, but the Provincial Championship O-Cup still has a "TBA" for the venue (on the Chico site).

Albion is the closest mtb center from my home, so I sure would not mind Cold Creek.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

bi-winning
    read carefully

Due to issues beyone our control Cold Creek Conservation Area is no longer available for mountain bike events. This is an unfortunate circumstance and we are working on another venue that will provide a championship course.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    At least the damn horse riders got banned from Cold Creek too!

I am going to do 3 ocups in the open SS category this year. This will be my first time trying some ocups. Thought about doing the whole season but I am already going to miss a couple with other events and a mtb vacation in the States.

Looking forward though!

mtbr member
    I am racing Senior Sport; Especially looking forward to Albion and Buckwallow.

mtbr member
    (Not an ocup) Gonna win Icebreaker short course SS on a fixy.

Then race Senior expert SS, might skip Boler (on my birthday, I can think of better things to do than spend 5 hours driving to and from London and I also have the same curse as Supa).

I am gonna win Buckwallow Sen. Ex on a SS (yeah I'm pretty confident about that one).

Then maybe upgrade to Elite and try not to get lapped.

Oh yeah and quit smoking (I'm 3 days in) so that these goals may actually turn into reality.

Maybe do one or two Ocup SS cats just to battle Mr. Hunter again. It was a pretty good rivalry before he started mercilessly destroying me.

Andrew

bi-winning

You are a strong, confident individual, who does not need to smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth

Oh yeah and quit smoking (I'm 3 days in) so that these goals may actually turn into reality.

Andrew
    You smoked? I had no idea. So if you stick with this whole quitting thing - which i fully support - does that mean you might actually get even faster?

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I didnt plan on going to Boler this year for a few reasons
    #1 I hate the place
    #2 Its a 5 hour drive from peterborough.
    #3 I hate the place.

I raced there a few times many years ago. First O-cup I did there, it rained for 3 days continueously before and the course was a soupy mess. I had to completely disassemble my bike to clean it. I had mud everywhere. Even under my grips!
    The next time I raced there it was the hottest day of the summer. It was over 40 with the humidex that day. The first time I went through the feed zone there was a paramedic there asking riders if they were cold. When I heard that I was thinking WTF. but the rider behind me said he was freezing, goose bumps and everything. I found out afterwards that is a sign of heat stroke and dehydration. My field had 47 starters and 13 finishers. most, if not all, dropped out because of the heat. I finished 13th. 8 LBS lighter than I was when I started. I know EXACTLY what riding in hell is like.
    The Next time I raced there, someone stole my helmet from the hood of my car while I was warming up. I didnt realize till I had to go to the start line for my race. A sport class racer who had just finished his race said I could use his helmet. So I put someone elses wet, sweaty, smelly helmet on to go and race. SInce that day..... I've not been back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    (Not an ocup) Gonna win Icebreaker short course SS on a fixy.

Then race Senior expert SS, might skip Boler (on my birthday, I can think of better things to do than spend 5 hours driving to and from London and I also have the same curse as Supa).

I am gonna win Buckwallow Sen. Ex on a SS (yeah I'm pretty confident about that one).

Then maybe upgrade to Elite and try not to get lapped.

Maybe do one or two Ocup SS cats just to battle Mr. Hunter again. It was a pretty good rivalry before he started mercilessly destroying me.

Andrew

bout time you ditched the darts!

I plan on showing up at a couple o-cups and moving myself right up to the front of the start line while every one says, "who does this jerk think he is?" No license so i will get stuck in sport class again this year. Kinda sucks a bit cause you got to get past all the trail hazards before you can chase down the leaders. If your like me and start slowish it takes a lap to catch up to the top couple of guys.

I am running the dingle speed again so you are off the hook for SS cat tweek, I am training my body but not my riding, haven't spinned pedals other then around the city in 3 months.

The only race i am really looking forward this year (excluding 24hrs of course) is the crank the shield! i am not sure why i want to hurt myself, but it's my old stomping grounds, so i gotta represent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    What a great attitude! It's my wife's plan to try to upgrade from Sport to Expert ASAP for the same reason (more laps!).

The plan for now is for me to attend all the OCUPS as a spectator. Unfortunately, neither my wife nor I have ever done an OCUP, so we'd both be racing Sport and therefore in the same start time, and bringing along a babysitter for three kids 7 and under isn't really an option (nor is leaving them at home). She called "shotgun" on the OCUPS back in January, so I'll be hanging out with the kids and enjoying the races. I'm kind of hoping that we might go to at least a couple of them on the Saturday, and I might get to do a couple of laps on the course, but other than that, they're all hers this year.

I do get to do a weekly series, some road races, maybe an 8 hour, and some citizen's events/Enduro's, so I'll still get my fill of racing.
    Your wife will have no problem upgrading from sport. Not if she is as fast as she was at Pauls Dirty Enduro last year! Look out sport women!

Nice to know that you totally support her in her racing. And I know exactly what it's like with both of you not being able to race at the same time because someone has to look after the kids. How the heck does she have the energy to train with 3 rug rats anyway?

At least you are still able to do some races this year.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Responses in bold

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Your wife will have no problem upgrading from sport. Not if she is as fast as she was at Pauls Dirty Enduro last year! Look out sport women!

No re-match at Paul's this year as you'll be at Crank the Shield I guess.

Nice to know that you totally support her in her racing. And I know exactly what it's like with both of you not being able to race at the same time because someone has to look after the kids.

We actually brought 2 babysitters to the Ganaraska for Paul's last year! We're hoping to do some of the same road races, as we'll have different start times

How the heck does she have the energy to train with 3 rug rats anyway?

I do a lot of early AM trainer rides and commuting which helps. She just bought a tandem that fits a child stoker (we don't have it yet), so that'll help combine family and training time, but overall, it is a pretty big challenge.

At least you are still able to do some races this year.

And I can relax with a beer (maybe?) as I watch everyone else suffer at the O-CUPS.

mtbr member
    Fine, you guys convinced me. No racing at Boler then.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Fine, you guys convinced me. No racing at Boler then.
    Good man. Together we can boycott this godforsaken venue and hopefully get Elliot Lake back...

In all actuality, if you haven't ridden there before, by all means give it a shot! Like i said, most riders love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast