Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Off Season Activities

While I know everyone here loves bikes and probably does significant riding during the winter, many put the bikes on the back burner and indulge in other activities once the weather gets cold.

So in light of the recent preparing for the winter threads, for me, when the winter comes, I'm more likely to plan a squash game than a ride. On a relative scale, I'm a better squash player than a rider (which ain't saying much). Hamilton unfortunately is a hot bed for squash like South Texas is known for hockey. This year, I'm contemplating a return to competitive squash.

Squash is actually an amazing cross training for cycling. Either, or will keep the base fitness at a great level for the other.

Let me state, if conditions are right, I love riding in the winter. Here's proof with a ride that was organized through MTBR with some local celebrities like RKJ.

You'll also find me trying to keep the core strong for a long riding season in the gym (climbing that is).

Finally, you'll find me doing some other random outdoor fun, be it ice fishing, snowshoeing, XC skiing, winter camping, but nothing on an overly regular basis.

Played hockey and basketball for many years as well, but those activities has fallen to the wayside in more recent years.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Let me state, if conditions are right, I love riding in the winter. Here's proof with a ride that was organized through MTBR with some local celebrities like RKJ.
    Haha, that picture is classic. Gotta love my work boots, and basketball shorts over sweat pants. I was home for the weekend, not planning to ride, and hence left all of my cycling apparel in Ancaster. Then I saw the ride posted, and wanted to join in. So, I wore what I had, and borrowed my Dad's bike and helmet. Good times were had.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I do lots of downhill skiing. But that barely taxes my fitness so I will continue training indoors as much as I can.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Evil Jr.
    Normally, we'd XC ski all day every day but this year, we're moving to snow shoes. Until the boy can support the weight of his own enormous melon, skiing will have to wait.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I started XC skiing last year and absolutely love it. I just wish we had more snow in Niagara so I could get out each week and not just one or two weekends a month for 3 months.

Also started playing hockey just a few weeks ago for the first time ever (w/full pads, on ice). Having a blast doing that right now.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Normally, we'd XC ski all day every day but this year, we're moving to snow shoes. Until the boy can support the weight of his own enormous melon, skiing will have to wait.
    Speaking of which, any advice on snowshoes? Looking to trek singletrack (esp in Christie) but not race/run. We were probably going to see what MEC had...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Speaking of which, any advice on snowshoes? Looking to trek singletrack (esp in Christie) but not race/run. We were probably going to see what MEC had...
    I hope we get enough snow this year to go snowshoeing again. Now that I have ridden more trails around the Barrie area, I hope to go there this winter and see the trails from another perspective.

I bought a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents and MEC sells them as well. Perhaps they are overkill for snowshoeing in southern Ontario, but I found that they had great traction for climbing and descending some of the steep areas I went to last year. Another plus to me was that they are made in the USA, while the better majority are offshore made now.

If you have any long climbs, any snowshoe with the capability of lifting your heel will make the climb much more comfortable

Muskoka

Got it covered here...

but you already knew that

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 12-03-2011 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to ride straight through the winter up until 8 years ago while squeezing in a bit of skating or hockey during the week or on weekends when there was no one to ride with. Then I started playing hockey more seriously and got hooked on it to the point where the bikes stayed in storage all winter except for the odd grocery run.

I'm out on the rinks as much as I can, usually about a couple hours a day 5 days a week, sometimes a lot more when the shinny games get good. It's a full high intensity workout, the first couple weeks are pretty brutal since there's a bit of a gap between biking season & hockey season, but I think I have it covered this year since I'm doing martial arts to keep in shape while waiting for the outdoor rinks to open. As a bonus, I should have improved flexibility and less injuries from all the stretching we do in our warmups.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have played hockey since I was six years old...yes many moons (make that decades) ago...and still play a couple of times a week, and in occassional weekend tournaments. Otherwise, still get out on the bike two or three times each week throughout the winter.

I also spend considerable time, all winter, on coming up with excuses to stay off the trainer.

pin it
    I ride all year round so I guess there is no "off season " for me.

It's more important to me to have balance and variety every season... better for the mind body and spirit

In addtion to biking (all I need to do is adjust the equipment and clothing to match the conditions), I ski back country, and now downhill), do spin classes, Hot Yoga, and weight training. I 'm currently incorporating some of these activities into an amazing program to work with other cancer pattients / survivors.

mtbr member
    we bought snowshoes at MEC this year made by GV snowshoes made in Quebec
    now just wait for the snow

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    we bought snowshoes at MEC this year made by GV snowshoes made in Quebec
    now just wait for the snow
    post up a link, we where thinking of snows shoes for bush whacking
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    http://http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC.../Snowshoes.jsp

my wife bought the active mountain on sale a couple of weeks back at $122
    I got the winter trail on sail at $94

looks like quite a deal compared to the regular price.
    friends that know more about snowshoes say i did alright with price and quality.
    And canadian made

mtbr member
    just tried out the link i sent but doesn't seem to work for me
    so just go to the MEC website
    clik on shop-- snowsports--snowshoes

mtbr member
    I also play a lot of hockey in the winter + ball hockey too. I also snowboard occasionally. Hockey and cycling use similar leg muscles, so there usually isn't much of a transition from one to the other. All 3 sports require consumption of beer afterwards, allows me to stay practiced for biking.

Also getting in as much winter biking as I can.

Lemmy Rules!
    I used to train for an early spring marathon or half marathon over the winter to stay in shape. Unfortunately my left knee (thanks to an MCL tear I sustained in my teens) cannot handle the impact and I am under doctor's orders not to run. For the past few years, maintaining what conditioning I have has been a bit of a challenge.

My goal this year is to ride to work year-round so I hope to be riding from Oakville to Toronto and back once a week. That's all I tend to do in December to give my body a rest from the riding.

In January I will be hitting the trainer and spin classes. I learned to skate last winter so I could skate with Unglued Jr. this winter (he is going to learn this year). I get out on the snowboard whenever I can, and take the dog on long walks (sometimes on snowshoes - me, not the dog).

I also go "on the wagon" and do my best to cut out booze entirely in January and February to counteract the fact that I am generally a little less active over the winter months. Next year I am thinking of joining the Canadian Ski Patrol, but we'll see how that goes....
    Strava made me do it....

sheep in FOX clothing
    I go to my buddy's condo tower and run up the stairs repeatedly.

I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    I hope we get enough snow this year to go snowshoeing again. Now that I have ridden more trails around the Barrie area, I hope to go there this winter and see the trails from another perspective.

I bought a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents and MEC sells them as well. Perhaps they are overkill for snowshoeing in southern Ontario, but I found that they had great traction for climbing and descending some of the steep areas I went to last year. Another plus to me was that they are made in the USA, while the better majority are offshore made now.

If you have any long climbs, any snowshoe with the capability of lifting your heel will make the climb much more comfortable
    It gets quite icy near all the waterfalls around here too so that's something else we'll need to consider. I appreciate all the advice so far though!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I love squash, wish I could see the photos here at work. I really wanted to play this year but I couldn't justify the cost of a gym membership since there is a gym in my building and at work that I can use for free.I would only really make use of the courts, and even then, I don't know too many people who play besides my brother (and seeing as he is the #1 active ranked player in the 35+ category, he is going to clean my clock like nobodies business).

This season I am trying something different to get off the bike. I've been swimming laps daily and trying to jump on the spin bike when I can, mixed in with a bit of weight/circuit training. No idea id it will produce any results, but it can't hurt, I'm a scrawny mofo.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    I love squash, wish I could see the photos here at work. I really wanted to play this year but I couldn't justify the cost of a gym membership since there is a gym in my building and at work that I can use for free.I would only really make use of the courts, and even then, I don't know too many people who play besides my brother (and seeing as he is the #1 active ranked player in the 35+ category, he is going to clean my clock like nobodies business).

This season I am trying something different to get off the bike. I've been swimming laps daily and trying to jump on the spin bike when I can, mixed in with a bit of weight/circuit training. No idea id it will produce any results, but it can't hurt, I'm a scrawny mofo.
    I think getting married also counts as an "off season activity"
    Strava made me do it....

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Yup, he'll be getting mentally stronger everyday!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I suppose you are right. We are going down to Mexico, so thankfully it hasn't been as labour intensive to plan it as it is to do it here. Ultimately, Melissa is so in tune with the plan and stuff we need to do, that it makes my life easy on that front.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    I suppose you are right. We are going down to Mexico, so thankfully it hasn't been as labour intensive to plan it as it is to do it here. Ultimately, Melissa is so in tune with the plan and stuff we need to do, that it makes my life easy on that front.
    Simplest way to plan a wedding.... future husband and wife discuss it, budget what they want.. and do not listen to what everyone else wants. It's about you being happy not making everyone else happy.

mtbr member
    Yeah I can definitely say we've done what we want and there hasn't been too many complications resulting from preconceived ideas from each of our parents, thankfully!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast