Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    All my faucets is Moen.

OCup #3 - Sir Sam's

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Good bye Mansfield, hello Sir Sam's.
    I loved riding there during Crank the Shield so I'm really looking forward to going back. I feel like I'll ride a thousand preride laps.
    As I mentioned in the other thread I'm contemplating my first SS OCup but will have to see how the new bike feels. It usually takes me a few weeks to feel comfy on it.

So, who's going to the riders banquet?

OCup #3 - Sir Sam's-sirsamscoursemap-copy.jpg

bi-winning
    When are you going up to preride Jeff?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    When are you going up to preride Jeff?
    Saturday (the day before the race) and camping. Carpool?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hear this course has heavy climbs.

mtbr member
    Very jacked for this course. I like to climb. I loved riding there last year at CTS, even if it was only with one leg.

Sounds like lots of people are heading up to make a weekend of it, myself included.

mtbr member
    Climbs are manageable here as they traverse the hill in a switchback fashion. Then you descend like a fiend in parts of the DH course. I have ridden this twice as part of CTS and was giggling afterwards both times. Great fun to ride and will be challenging maxed out for 1.5 hours plus!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Saturday (the day before the race) and camping. Carpool?
    Just checked the date, and nope, I can't make this happen.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Would love to hear of any feedback if any folks have pre-ridden the course this weekend. Hoping to sneak up some time this week as I can't get up there on Saturday ahead of the race as previously planned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One of my buddies rode it and said there are heavy climbs and it's almost all totally single track, very little double track (awesome).

mtbr member
    Um, yeah, perfect...Thanks. I know the climbing there having ridden it a couple of times. It's little more forgiving than the Mansfield steepness depending on how they've laid it out. And yes, it's not a doubletrack haven by any stretch, which I like the thought of already. If you can climb and are good in the singletrack, it's pure race bliss. At least theoretically!

mtbr member
    I am still undecided for this race. I cannot quite bring myself to do the drive all the way to Haliburton. We'll see.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Yeah this is definitely violating my time on bike versus time driving in car ratio, but I am still thinking of doing this one as I've never ridden at Sir Sams and it looks like fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Can't wait to pre-ride this course! It's been a long time since I rode up in that area. Sucks having to camp overnight because of our dogs but if the weather is nice, should be a great weekend!
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Im going to pre-ride tomorrow morning. Commitments on Saturday or else Id ride then and stay over.

mtbr member
    Please do share feedback following your ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Rode two laps this morning. Heres my take on the course:

- The start is still a bit of a climb, but not Manfield esque. The course has a fair amount of climbing in it but your well rewarded for it.

- Once your done the climb to the top for the first time, the view over the lake is unreal

- The course has a lot of tight, technical, rocky/rooty single track and switchbacks

- Im racing the DH Ocups as well, so I found some of the decent's pretty awesome/similar to what Id do on a 8" travel DH bike. Not my 29'r hard tail. Bit of a pucker fest at times.

- This isn't a course for roadies. The tech stuff is pretty serious and you have to be on your "A" game. I predict quite a few crashes, especially in "The Grind".

- The pump track wasn't included in the course contrary to previous comments.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Please do share feedback following your ride!
    Were you not able to get there for a pre-ride this week like you hoped?

I have a little bit of feedback from a friend. She said the climbs are gradual and not too steep (yay!) and mostly singletrack, just like we found at Crank. Also mentioned was a tricky, steep downhill section. However, she said it probably seemed worse than it really was since her pre-ride was last Saturday in the rain.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Eater112 View Post
    A lot of good info about the course
    Thanks, what you posted is much more informative than what I just wrote. Very helpful! I'm looking forward to it and hope things stay dry this weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    Were you not able to get there for a pre-ride this week like you hoped?

I have a little bit of feedback from a friend. She said the climbs are gradual and not too steep (yay!) and mostly singletrack, just like we found at Crank. Also mentioned was a tricky, steep downhill section. However, she said it probably seemed worse than it really was since her pre-ride was last Saturday in the rain.
    Thanks for sharing...I couldn't swing and justify the drive quite honestly. I have a family function on Saturday afternoon, following which I will be heading up for a 5-6pm arrival at a cottage 15 mins away. If I am lucky, I will get at least a lap in to get a feel for the course. Having ridden there, I have an idea of what to expect.

And having ridden twice again on the mtb this week, I put the old front brake back on hoping that I get my descending mojo back. The new one still isn't cutting it. I don't want to be missing it here if the downhills are anything like CTS at points. It's also supposed to rain a lot today and tomorrow, so it's likely to remain a little slick in spots for the race. Looking forward to it though.

mtbr member
    Good luck to all of you who are racing this weekend. I was undecided about this race, but the decision has been made for me. I have to work part of the weekend to prepare for a user conference we are hosting next week in Blue Mountain. At least I will be able to get in a couple of long road rides each morning.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    What say you fellows members of eastern canada?

Funnest course I have done at an OCUP. Loved the climbing, loved the descending, loved the technical bits. Only thing I didn't really like was the off camber slippery roots, had a few oh $hit moments, but kept 'er upright.

Had a simple plan. 1) Don't blow up, cause I knew the climbing could do that and would do that to many people by the 3/4th lap. 2) Focus on riding the more technical stuff super clean, not necessarily fast. That meant backing off coming into it to make sure I was focused and not redlined. Worked like a charm and I'm sure I was faster over all.

4th lap was my second fastest. That made me happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a blast. My fav so far. Had a very professional feel to the course. I was happy to say I felt much better this race then woodnewton(first 3 lap race)

I hoped to finish a bit better but overall was happy with how I felt.
    Now to find the 15+min from me to first place!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thats awesome man, Congrats!

I ran way too many psi in both my front/rear tires and my bike had me feeling like I was bambi on ice in the woods. I crashed hard while in second on the first lap coming out of the woods for the first time. Tweaked the bars bad and had to red green it. After that, my RD jammed twice and I managed to yard sale about 5-6 other times over the remaining two laps. Fitness wise, I felt better then the first race which went awesome. I just couldn't stop hitting the dirt today.

I still had fun an managed a 6th in my class. Goal is to re-group and come out swinging at Hardwood. Today was a learning experience. A fun one at that

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

OCup #3 - Sir Sam's

Today was my first OCup race (ever), and this year is my first season racing. I've been sidelined with an injury for the past 5 weeks, so I missed #1 and #2 this year, not to mention not having enough saddle time by a long shot. I have to say today was an eye opener, especially after some citizen races last year (an 8 hour and the STC). I simply didn't have it in me today, and only completed two laps. But, the injury wasn't aggravated any further, so I guess that's something.

Question related to the results though...I finished my second lap but was cut off from starting my third. I assumed I was a DNF, but I've got a placing and points. How's that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Super fun race, felt like a mini world cup course with the snaking climb followed by lots of single track downhill / tech.

Got first in my class and had a blast doing it! Except on the first lap when I puked at the top of the climb after pulling a rookie mistake of trying a brand new gel right before the race started

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast