mtbr member
    Jun 2011

OCUP 1: Woodnewton Its almost that time.

Is everybody excited? Im already feeling the butterflies. I have been getting in more miles in hopes of getting rid of the cramps that owned me last year.

Just got an update that the pre ride for Thursday is cancelled but still on for the Friday and Sunday.

Im not sure if I can make a preride this year, how is the Newt after a good rain? TRying to figure out what tires to run.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's party time boys!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I changed to mud tires for a muddy woodnewton course in 2011 but in hindsight I probably didn't need to. The course drains well so something like an ikon or fast trak should work fine.

Looking forward to the race!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wood is mostly sand and drains super fast - will be rocking my usual fast tires!

mtbr member
    It's going to be a little moist and the lower portion of the course near the start finish and after the first climb will be a little slippery. Yes, it drains well, but we have had a lot of rain this week. Not to mention, there's more in the forecast before the race. Two years ago, I decided to stay with Racing Ralphs over Rocket Rons with very similar weather leading up to the race and I regretted it. As a result, I have made the switch yesterday to the Ron's (2.1) as they will not hinder pace much from the Ralphs if at all and are definitely a better wet tire. I will say too that I won't be surprised if they close the course for Saturday preriding as a result of the forecasted rain for much of the day that day.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The most aggressive I have is ralphs haha. Didnt get beavers when I should have. I will pull the rengades off tonight. I hate adding weight......

So anyone in sport 30-34. I need to be more social

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any course condition updates? I couldnt make the preride days.

mtbr member

I am just back from preriding and am happy to report that the course is in excellent shape. It's tacky but quite fast I would say. I have my rocket Ron 2.1s on and they are great for the conditions. At the moment, it's not greasy anywhere on the course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the update. Forcast is looking good so hopefully my renegade will do the trick.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Forcast is looking good so hopefully my renegade will do the trick.
    your hopes will go up in flames on the first lap. even if it remains as it was yesterday and today before the rain - Renegades (IMHO) are not a good choice for Woodnewton. Too much loose and tacky segments on the course...

but if you possess mad skills, maybe Renegades are the way to go...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Did some laps around 4:45 tonight - Ron 2.25 / Ralph 2.25

Most of the course is fast and grippy - there were quite a few random greasy muddy spots on the course but nothing a MTBer couldn't handle.

I think by the time tomorrow rolls around everything will be dried up for the most part!

Pretty sad they took out that super gnarly ledge downhill to straight uphill climb from the 1:30 course - but the good news is without that the lap will hurt less

Rode Durham Forest after - that place got insanely good over winter - huge wooden features!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    your hopes will go up in flames on the first lap. even if it remains as it was yesterday and today before the rain - Renegades (IMHO) are not a good choice for Woodnewton. Too much loose and tacky segments on the course...

but if you possess mad skills, maybe Renegades are the way to go...
    Mabye a bit short in the skill....the ralph is on the rear as I wantto be able to getsome power down.

As far as the renegades go, I have only used the rear and I have nothing but incredible things to say about it. One of my skills that came naturally was being able to feather the power in the rear. I havent had the renegade slip yet except for a verymuddy trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I won my class last year with a Bonty X0 rear tire at Woody - you'll be fine on a Renegade if it stays dry IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Was good on fast traks!
    Where could I find race photos? saw photographers on the course.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    Was good on fast traks!
    Where could I find race photos? saw photographers on the course.
    Not all of the photos have been uploaded but Ted takes some great ones.

Apex Race Photography :: 2014 O-Cup #1 Woodnewton / 2014-05-04 :: Powered By Zoomphoto.ca

mtbr member

Thanks dumbopinion! We have all of the photos uploaded and indexed now. Some good locations on the course too. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome race! All the miles have paid off for me. Took 12min of my time from last year give or take, the course was mostly the same.

I wish I ran the renegades as the course was in great condition.

And of course the pic of me was just as my foot uncliped over the big rock....worst face ever lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Not all of the photos have been uploaded but Ted takes some great ones.

Apex Race Photography :: 2014 O-Cup #1 Woodnewton / 2014-05-04 :: Powered By Zoomphoto.ca
    Thanks, those are great photos!! Checked out that site Sunday night after finding the card on my car, but they weren't up yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Awesome race! All the miles have paid off for me. Took 12min of my time from last year give or take, the course was mostly the same.

I wish I ran the renegades as the course was in great condition.

And of course the pic of me was just as my foot uncliped over the big rock....worst face ever lol
    Kick ass improvement, congrats! I'll try to provide more of a challenge at the next one lol.

Alex

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Flatted on my second lap The actual valve core broke off!

Either way it was still a fun two laps, the Elite guys are seriously fast this year holy smokes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracing View Post
    Kick ass improvement, congrats! I'll try to provide more of a challenge at the next one lol.

Alex
    Thanks Alex, it was good to meet you! Looks like our cat is a fast one this year. The winner was flying!