Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Oct 19th High Park Skills Park Meeting

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Hello mountain bikers and BMXers,

This is to inform you that City of Toronto staff have recently closed an informal BMX freestyle area (skills park) in High Park to restore an ecologically significant area. The site has been replanted, fenced off and is currently being monitored for any further cycling activity.

A new skills parks, offering technically challenging riding in an accessible and controlled environment, will be built on the site of the existing parking lot in the south east corner of High Park. City staff are currently working with accomplished skills park designer, Jay Hoots Hoots Mountain Biking, to develop the new site that will include appropriate off-road cycling features, skills areas and landscape amenities.

Please join Jay Hoots and City of Toronto staff on Wednesday, October 19 from 6:00-8:30pm, at the Rousseau Room, Swansea Town Hall, to participate in the design consultation for the new skills park in High Park. Jay wants to hear from you.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Talked with Scott Laver at the Bayview jumps. He needs all available bodies to show up. needs numbers.

*** Edited by moderator ***
    Last edited by Circlip; 10-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.

namagomi
    This would be awesome... a formal skills park with actually maintained features inside of Toronto.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    This would be awesome... a formal skills park with actually maintained features inside of Toronto.
    It's the beginning of change in city mentality. But as Scott mentioned people need to start showing up. He doesn't care if you say nothing at the meeting or can only be at the work day for half an hour. Just show up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for x-posting Endura, really appreicate it.

All, if you can make it out, please do. A big showing will help us gain momentum to complete this skills park and catylize the development of more in Toronto.

The location is Swansea Town Hall

95 Lavinia Ave, Toronto, ON M6S 3H9

2 streets south of Bloor, East of Windermere

RSVP here or on the facebook event page.

Cheers,
    Graham
    Graham Seaman
    Vice President
    Toronto Off-Road Bicycle Association

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    :: DROPMACHINE.COM:: • View topic - High Park Skills Park Consultation w Jay Hoots Oct 19th

From Paul the DJ king.

I was told by Scott that it is absolutely mandatory for us to show up in numbers, that means even you if think you'll never use it, we still need you to come and show your face. I wish signatures could show them that we can stand behind projects like these, they've seen them, now they want to see that we can come together as community and voice what we want/need in person

In speaking with our city contact, it was suggested that we get a letter writing campaign going. So here are some points:

- the mountain biking and bmx community needs a high quality skills development facility in High Park to replace that which was lost
    - such a facility should be designed for all off road cyclists, from toddlers on run-bikes to skilled adults
    - the cycling community will work together to maintain the skills park

If you can't attend on the 19th or even if you can please put a note together to support this initiative. Send the note to trails@toronto.ca, the local Councillor Sarah Doucette at councillor_doucette@toronto.ca and your local Councillor.

Evil Jr.
    Jason Murray just sent this out to the IMBA membership as well with the same urgency (it was combined with the similar Copeland announcement).

Quote Originally Posted by IMBA Canada
    I want to stress that these are not you run of the mill "show up and support MTB" meetings. IMO these are once in a generation meeting that will act as turning points in the respective areas. So if you are anywhere near these areas at the dates these meeting are happening, please show up and lend your voice to the cause.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Jason Murray just sent this out to the IMBA membership as well with the same urgency (it was combined with the similar Copeland announcement).
    Yes. This matches exactly what Scott innuendo'd on Sunday.

*** Edited by moderator ***
    Last edited by Circlip; 10-04-2011 at 06:19 PM.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Nothing to see here folks. Move along, so that this very important thread may continue.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Nothing to see here folks. Move along, so that this very important thread may continue.
    Actually it's funny because the group in question is not even recognized as being native(an actual tribe) by any of the other tribe. It's basically one dude and a bunch of follower who are notorious for stirring up ****.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm going to try make it there. I'm going to see if I can get a few friends to show up too.

Evil Jr.
    I am very tempted to get out to this meeting (whether or not I'm available then is up to the baby, ).

If this project were to go ahead, it would be a bit of a drive but at least it's in the west end and as Jason says, it's win-win for advocates in other municipalities if Toronto builds it and it works.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am very tempted to get out to this meeting (whether or not I'm available then is up to the baby, ).

If this project were to go ahead, it would be a bit of a drive but at least it's in the west end and as Jason says, it's win-win for advocates in other municipalities if Toronto builds it and it works.
    Yeah, new babies have a way of deciding things for you.

Drive? Nah, take the train. Ride down to Aldershot station, relax for a while on the train, ride over to High Park from Mimico or Exhibition. I've been taking the train downtown when I do evening rides in the Don with my friends, and I've found it to make for a much more enjoyable evening than if I take the car.

Evil Jr.
    Ooh, traveling by train! How civilized!

As a complete aside, I love that the meeting is going to be in the old Swansea Town Hall. I love when old community names like that pop up in what now is the "middle" of Toronto.

It would be cool to see a map from, say a 150 years ago, showing all these little spots as separate entities!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Actually it's funny because the group in question is not even recognized as being native(an actual tribe) by any of the other tribe. It's basically one dude and a bunch of follower who are notorious for stirring up ****.
    In the next 24 hours please give us the benefit of a reference link you can provide or someone else can post up) containing some balanced report of this item, so that our mtbr users may educate themselves further on this issue. Aboriginal rights and land use issues are a component of this topic, and therefore I'm not going to instantly take moderator action on posts of this topic pretending it doesn't exist, but anyone choosing to post should be mindful that this is a not a sociopolitical forum and a short leash will be used.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Aboriginal rights and land use issues are a component of this topic,.....
    They are, but I'd like to suggest to anyone who goes to the meeting, that it not be brought up. I don't think it should have any part in what we have to say during the meeting if we speak up. We should be there to show support for building the skills park and expressing what we would like to see built. Yes, that group (who/whatever they are) was responsible for having the DJs flattened. Was it right? Are they legitimate? I don't care at this point because it's happened, and now the city wants to talk about building us a skills park to replace it. They've got a contractor coming, and they're asking us to show up to show our support and express our wishes for the site. Any time we spend talking about who did what in the past, or whether or not they are who they claim to be, or whether the dirt jumps were a burial ground or a hill just takes time away from getting the point across that we want this to happen, and how we want it to happen.

I'd love to see the place packed full of riders showing their support of the park, offering suggestions, and not taking any bait to waste time arguing about the recognition or land rights of the people that got the DJs flattened. I think that would be a very strong message to the city.

Evil Jr.
    I agree. The land rights thing is immaterial to the topic at hand. Griping about why the old stuff was flattened would only divert energy away from what could be a really cool project.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Lu Mach had some info he shared. But since that was a PM conversation I will leave it for him to decide.whether to share.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I agree. The land rights thing is immaterial to the topic at hand. Griping about why the old stuff was flattened would only divert energy away from what could be a really cool project.
    Easier said then done. The group in question has and will be there. Been very vocal in opposition to this. So be prepared.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Easier said then done. The group in question has and will be there. Been very vocal in opposition to this. So be prepared.
    Are you saying that they are also making a claim on the parking lot?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Are you saying that they are also making a claim on the parking lot?
    I have a suspicion that for them allowing anything bike related is evil. And they will oppose it and claiming something along it being "Sacred" ground is their MO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    claiming something along it being "Sacred" ground is their MO.
    No need to speculate about what they will or won’t say, here is what they are saying:

Request to Stop BMX/Skills Park in High Park by THPS, FOSM and Six Nations Grandmothers | Taiaiako'n Historical Preservation Society

JM2C, but I agree that rehashing the events leading up to this meeting and disputing their claims and/or legitimacy are non-productive. Without agreeing or disagreeing with their point of view, I see the process being most useful to the democracy at large if it ends up that so many people speak out against the park giving reasons X, Y, and Z, and so many people speak out for the park giving reasons A, B, and C. Using your time to give reasons for the park adds great value, and I strongly suspect that the question of burial grounds and so on will be decided in some back room somewhere, with very little attention paid to who says what in the meeting. Thus, if I am correct, speaking out against the park does little or nothing to change a decision about Aboriginal rights that will be made by/with lawyers and insiders, while speaking out for the park will add weight to the argument that the park will be popular with the public.

JM2C, I will gently suggest, but in the end it’s your moment to speak and you are the only one who has a right to decide what you will say. That’s democracy as well.

mtbr member
    Interesting quote from my link above:

In 2008, the City was advised that the site was believed to be an aboriginal burial mound. The City contracted a licensed archaeologist to conduct an archaeological assessment in accordance with the Ministry of Culture’s standards and guidelines. The assessments, completed in September 2009, determined that there is no evidence of archaeological materials. In May 2010, the province accepted the conclusions of the assessments. Based on information provided from these assessment, the City does not recognize the land as a burial ground. The group claiming the site to be culturally significant have been invited to participate in the restoration process.
    (Make of this what you will, it’s just copy and paste from a web site, not an official communiqué.)

Evil Jr.
    Oh ya, this is going to be messy...

One thing's clear though, this group has figured out how to read Pinkbike and it's only a click away to MTBR from there so I'd advise all here to keep your comments civil and in good taste.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oh ya, this is going to be messy...

One thing's clear though, this group has figured out how to read Pinkbike and it's only a click away to MTBR from there so I'd advise all here to keep your comments civil and in good taste.
    It's possible that they have, but find the posts here not useful as evidence to back up the picture they wish to paint of the potential users of the park. Many of the posts on Pinkbike on the other hand, seem to work great for that purpose.

I think one of the best ways to disprove the image of cyclists that they seem to be pushing is to not respond to what seems to be bait by arguing, but to demonstrate as a group by our behaviour how we do not fit the image they are pushing.

You can argue it with words, or you can show it by example.
    Last edited by nickboers; 10-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast