Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OCA prelim schedule - where is Cold Creek?

I noticed on the OCA site they have a sneek peek at next years schedule.

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...relim_sked.pdf

For a couple of Chico's races (Spring 8 Hour & the August O-Cup) it lists the venue at Cold Creek. Never heard of it before. When I check Chico's site it shows the 8 Hour at Mansfield and August O-Cup as TBA. Is Cold Creek the same thing as Mansfield?

mtbr member

New venue...

Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    I noticed on the OCA site they have a sneek peek at next years schedule.

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...relim_sked.pdf

For a couple of Chico's races (Spring 8 Hour & the August O-Cup) it lists the venue at Cold Creek. Never heard of it before. When I check Chico's site it shows the 8 Hour at Mansfield and August O-Cup as TBA. Is Cold Creek the same thing as Mansfield?
    Actually Cold Creek is a new venue for 2008 Chico events...It's not that far from Albion...Check out this link for location.

http://www.coldcreekca.ca/
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm surprised that biking will be allowed in that venue. The website seems to emphasize conservation. I wonder if they will allow permanent bike trails or is this a one time event ? Mountain Equipment had a trail run(for joggers) there in August 2007 and has some pictures and map of the site. Here's the link;
    http://www.5peaks.com/schedule.asp?p=on&raceid=129
    and the map is located here; http://www.5peaks.com/maps/Map_NocTerra.pdf

rad to the power of sick
    hmmm..I thought there was supposed to be a venue up near Sudbury.

I guess it is the preliminary schedule.

Misfit Psycles
    cold creek should be a blast. these are new trails in co-operation with the town of king who is looking after all the dirt and trees there...apparently already finished with the 'chalet' upgrades and such.

it should also take a good chunk of the daily summer traffic off of albion....the worst part is now there are three sets of single track i can ride to...variety is so confusing.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    cold creek should be a blast. these are new trails in co-operation with the town of king who is looking after all the dirt and trees there...apparently already finished with the 'chalet' upgrades and such.

it should also take a good chunk of the daily summer traffic off of albion....the worst part is now there are three sets of single track i can ride to...variety is so confusing.

I am a bit confused as to where this place is?

you're right Noggy, variety is so bad for you... geez..
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Directions purloined from the MEC 5 Peaks website;

Cold Creek is located 3.5 Km north of the King Road on the 11th Concession and south of the 16th Sideroad Township of King.
    From Hwy 400, take King Side Road West past Nobleton, north on 11th Concession for 3.5 km.
    Hwy 401, take Hwy 427 north to Hwy 7, east on Hwy 7 to Hwy 27 north to Nobleton, King Side Road West, north on 11th Concession for 3.5 km.

Here's the map.

http://www.coldcreekca.ca/pages/directions.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Do you guys reckon they will add a seventh O cup, ie. provincials in September?

veldrijder
    Cold Creek is listed as provincials for the time being.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    Cold Creek is listed as provincials for the time being.
    a very ominous declaration...should an evil laugh have been included at the end?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    What happened to Mansfield??

Have they become another "black listed" place to host a race? A great winter adventure race has been cancelled at that venue for Jan.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Cycle Solutions
    There will only be 6 O-Cups. There is not going to be one near sudbury. Provincials is in August.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom

Have they become another "black listed" place to host a race? A great winter adventure race has been cancelled at that venue for Jan.
    There is still a Mansfield O-Cup and other races are still going on there (such as the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous 24h in May).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere

I live in King Township, and can attest that the Township supports MTB including racing at its Centennial Park on Jane Street (i.e. the 5th concession). I'm not aware of Township activity at Cold Creek (11th Concession).

There are also "Cold Creeks" in Peel Region, Thunder Bay, Hastings (Town of Trent Hills), and Renfrew. Are those who are identifying King Township sure whereof they speak?

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Greying_Geezer
    I live in King Township, and can attest that the Township supports MTB including racing at its Centennial Park on Jane Street (i.e. the 5th concession). I'm not aware of Township activity at Cold Creek (11th Concession).

There are also "Cold Creeks" in Peel Region, Thunder Bay, Hastings (Town of Trent Hills), and Renfrew. Are those who are identifying King Township sure whereof they speak?
    That is interesting - I wasn't sure, but the Cold Creek near you was the first (only) to come up in my search. Another location would likely make more sense though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I fired off an email to the OCA and another Web-based inquiry to the Cold Creek Stewardship group asking for clarification. I'd put my money -- well up to $5 -- on its being Centennial Park in King Township. There are MTB trails there, MTB classes run by Parks and Rec in the summer, and I believe weekly races. Never been there myself, even though it's so close.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

1st O-cup is still at Mansfield

Mansfield is still a go as far as I know for the first O-cup. They are also doing the 24 hrs Lifestyles of the Rich and Famouse race at Mansfield put on by WOW.

FYI "Cold Creek" is the one on 11th where MEC did the Run....it is near Albion. Should be good!!! I think I will take the dog for a hike there and check it out soon in the snow!

B/C chico is doing the Crank the Shild in September - they moved Provincals to August this year...it will be an early end to the 0-cup season..... The First pre-pre schedule I saw listed Provincials to be in London on the 11th of Aug...Cold Creek was supposed to be the 2nd o-cup....things will probably change again...I who knows??? .. At least they moved the O-cup back another week...I was thinking my leggs may be a little knackerd from Ironman USA on July 20th... I now have at least one more week to recover!!!!!

Singlespeed Mysty

ironman?? ... cool...

Quote Originally Posted by spin_cycle
    FYI "Cold Creek" is the one on 11th where MEC did the Run....it is near Albion. Should be good!!! I think I will take the dog for a hike there and check it out soon in the snow!

I was thinking my leggs may be a little knackerd from Ironman USA on July 20th... I now have at least one more week to recover!!!!!
    hey grrrreat idea about taking dog for a hike in Cold Creek to check it out! hmm... may just do that myself...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What the FAR race has been cancelled, that sucks. They were thinking they had a great location for a few years of races. And this the first year with snow far in advance of the race.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Misfit Psycles
    I fired off an email to the OCA and another Web-based inquiry to the Cold Creek Stewardship group asking for clarification. I'd put my money -- well up to $5 -- on its being Centennial Park in King Township. There are MTB trails there, MTB classes run by Parks and Rec in the summer, and I believe weekly races. Never been there myself, even though it's so close.
    it is infact the cold creek conservation area previously looked after by the trca now the town of king.

the king trails on jane (lord love em) arent suitable for an ocup...at least not for the majority of classifications....although king was hoping to DOUBLE the size of the jane st trails in '08 with acquisition of adjacent lands...exciting times to live in bolton/king if you ride.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    Yup, sad but true, Geoff sent me an email.

"Hi Rick,
    Despite all the current snowfall (where has that been the last few years!?),we've decided to take a break from the winter race for a year. The search is on for a new location for 2009 with all the necessary elements- 'guaranteed' snow, a lodge with catering and character, low-cost groupaccommodations, within 2hr drive radius of TO, and minimal costs. Anysuggestions or ideas you have are more than welcome!
    Take care,
    Geoff"

That last race was the best ever! Geoff was in the "zone" with that format. We nailed that race and came in second in the "All Male" team category.

Really sucks!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was at a meeting tonight and asked the chair of the Cold Creek Stewardship Committee about mountain biking at Cold Creek, and while some plans were initiated to put in trails, that initiative has been nipped in the bud as it would be contrary to the conservation theme of the area. Only hiking trails are being developed.

bi-winning
    it would be contrary to the conservation theme of the area.
    Oh yes, must keep the evil bikers out. They exhale too much CO2
    Last edited by rkj__; 03-19-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Oh yes, must keep the evil bikers out. They exhale too much CO2
    it was the vile (neighboring) home owners...mf's that they are...one of the pigs has their ugly brat in my sons class...the justice in it all?

the twits also lost their right to use the trails for horses and xc skiing...she was quite tossed about that...i asked her if she knew about carson daily and karma...selfish cow.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cold Creek off limits

The identity, or one rider's opinion, of the person who may or may not have "blown the whistle" is irrelevant to the discussion. The real question is whether the bulldozers and backhoes were compatible with the intended use of the lands and the goals of the owner, the TRCA. I love my mountain biking, and Cold Creek is close to home, but before criticizing the decisions of the planners, biologists and ecologists at the Authority, I'd want to study their background science and rationale. The IMBA provides links to resources at http://www.imba.com/resources/science/ that throw a positive light on the physical and environmental sides of MTB'ing, but the TRCA has its mandate, and even if its planners accept that the impact of MTB'ing may be less than that of hiking, their primary consideration is not to provide recreational venues to the detriment of the environment. And whether or not one agrees that MTB'ing is relatively benign environmentally, its societal (as opposed to social) image remains tarnished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast