Thread: OCA Membership

mtbr member

OCA Membership

I would like to do some races this year but I am a bit confused about the difference between the Citizen and UCI OCA memberships. With a Citizen license, can I choose what races I can enter or is it only certain races that allow citizen licenses? I don't really care about points, I just want to do the races.

The difference in price between the UCI ($140/$135) and Citizen ($40) license is $100.00 which is pretty significant. I have seen some races where you can purchase a Citizen license for $10.00 per race but if I do more than 4, the $40 license is the better deal.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by danny_mcgee
    I would like to do some races this year but I am a bit confused about the difference between the Citizen and UCI OCA memberships. With a Citizen license, can I choose what races I can enter or is it only certain races that allow citizen licenses? I don't really care about points, I just want to do the races.

The difference in price between the UCI ($140/$135) and Citizen ($40) license is $100.00 which is pretty significant. I have seen some races where you can purchase a Citizen license for $10.00 per race but if I do more than 4, the $40 license is the better deal.
    The citizen license is not sufficient for o-cup races(with the exception of the single speed open, and try an o-cup categories, but it is ideal for 24h races and weekly series races.

There is a limit to how many 1-day licenses you are supposed to buy in a year (3), but i don't see how they can enforce that. I inquired about it last year, and they said that the worst they could do is disqualify me.

this page contains some useful documents.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    [SIZE="1"]edit: I basically said the same thing as rkj, but here's my post anyway[/SIZE]

To race and gain points in mtb or road O-Cups you need a UCI license. You can do a couple (mtb) O-Cups on a Citizen's permit (in the "Try an O-Cup" category) but cannot gain upgrade points. A citizen's permit is sufficient for many local events and things like 24h races, etc. It will also allow you to race Cyclocross in the fall if you're so inclined.

I don't plan to do more than a couple O-Cups this year, and don't care about upgrading so I went for a Citizen's Permit. Next year I will re-assess my situation and possibly get a UCI license, but for my race plans this year it was not necessary.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    [SIZE="1"]edit: I basically said the same thing as rkj, but here's my post anyway[/SIZE]

To race and gain points in mtb or road O-Cups you need a UCI license. You can do a couple (mtb) O-Cups on a Citizen's permit (in the "Try an O-Cup" category) but cannot gain upgrade points. A citizen's permit is sufficient for many local events and things like 24h races, etc. It will also allow you to race Cyclocross in the fall if you're so inclined.

I don't plan to do more than a couple O-Cups this year, and don't care about upgrading so I went for a Citizen's Permit. Next year I will re-assess my situation and possibly get a UCI license, but for my race plans this year it was not necessary.
    For the last two years, i have done 3 o-cups each year, and only gone with the one day licenses, which was the more affordable option. This year, i'd like to do 4 or 5, so i will consider a uci license.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote

Thanks for the info rjk and jmoote! I think I will go with the Citizens permit and just pay the extra at O'cup races.

I'm glad you mentioned Cyclocross because I am currently building a Cross bike and plan on racing it in the fall. I didn't even think about a license for those races.

mtbr member
    Just so you know, Citizen Permit's are not considered valid race licenses in the US. A UCI License, however, is fully valid down there and means you won't have to pay the sometimes hefty one-day fees at those races.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Just so you know, Citizen Permit's are not considered valid race licenses in the US. A UCI License, however, is fully valid down there and means you won't have to pay the sometimes hefty one-day fees at those races.
    Good point, but they're not valid race licenses here either. Aren't the mtb events over in NY mostly grassroots/citizen type events where a UCI license won't get you past any of the fees anyway?

If you're racing* anywhere you need a UCI license (* I say racing meaning points races, not citizen's events). If all you're doing is some grassroots mtb events and you think you want to try an O-Cup or two, the citizen's permit is the correct choice.