Gears, beers and slices..

O-Cups...Beginner vs Try-an-Ocup (what's easier?)

A friend of mine wants to do a few races this year, and has asked about the difference? He races a weekly series, but isn't up for doing the sport category. What's the next step below sport? I had always assummed the beginner category was a step above the try-an-Ocup category, but the distances make me think otherwise.

Beginner - 15km
    Try-an-Ocup - 27km

Is Beginner easier that Try-an-Ocup?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    A friend of mine wants to do a few races this year, and has asked about the difference? He races a weekly series, but isn't up for doing the sport category. What's the next step below sport? I had always assummed the beginner category was a step above the try-an-Ocup category, but the distances make me think otherwise.

Beginner - 15km
    Try-an-Ocup - 27km

Beginner would be easier just by the shorter distance! If he's just starting, why not do the sprint course of the enduro series. Next one is garanaska in June. Lots of time to decide if you want to do the sprint distance (15k) or the short course (30k). have a look on the bikenxs.com website and see what's available. For me the choice of sprint vs. short course has to do with how much time my kids are willing to wait at the starting area!!! They're only little (oldest is 4) so that's a factor in my day too!

havae fun out there!!

mtbr member
    Beginner is definitely easier than try-an-ocup!

Beginner races generally run a shorter course that cuts out some of the more gruelling or technical sections. Try an ocup will run the full course (whatever the sport class is riding) and goes off at the same time as the sport riders.

If your friend is already racing a weekly series, I would recommend tossing his hat right in with the sport class. The beginner class is little more than a glorified weekly course anyway, and try-an-ocup is basically a sport race that you get no credit for if you do well!

Andrew

mtbr member
    If distance or technical skill isn't a concern, go with Try an OCUP. I was in the same boat as your friend two seasons ago and decided to give the Try an OCUP a shot. It's was the same course as the Sport Class as others have mentioned and I didn't feel like getting pounded in the standings being it was my first kick at the can. It's less intimidating, but will give him a good idea as to where he might fit in with the Sport riders. Also, if he's in decent shape, he may be able to dice with some of the Sport class riders. Can't comment on the beginner other than it's length which has been mentioned...

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale

Beginner - 15km
    Try-an-Ocup - 27km

A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

bi-winning
    Beginner is easier. As mentioned already. If there are any "really tough" sections, they will not be included in the beginner course.

Try an o cup uses the same course that the sport, expert, and elite riders race on. The distance is the same as sport, but the times are a little slower.

Personally, i had done a few citizen races like the squeezer and lake to lake, which gave me a rough idea about my capabilities. I jumped straight into sport. I thought i had a chance of winning, since all of the really fast guys race expert right? lol. i finished in the middle of the field.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club