Gears, beers and slices..

O-cup #7...MountainView???

I was over at the Sporting Life bike store today, and heard a dude talking about the O-Cup #7 being at Mountainview up in Midland?

That race also happens to be the Ontario Championship race. The location hasn't been announced on Chico's web yet,,,anybody else hear anything about this? Anybody ridden there?

mtbr member
    Just checked the Ontario Cycling website and it appears to be true ..
    http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...h_mtb_ocup.php

Never ridden there.. but seems like a good excuse to try it out

Ok, so there's one mystery solved. O-cup #7 is officially at Mountainview.

I just talked to a friend who has ridden there a few times, and he said it's super-hilly - full of really steep switchback climbs, and very slow/technical stuff with lots of super tight, twisty, off-camber trails. He said definitely don't expect fast, flowy singletrack. Sounds like something a little bit different than we're used to...maybe like Horseshoe from a few years back?

Follow-up question: usually Sean cuts a bunch of new track for the races, and combines that with the existing network. Will he be cutting new trail up there or use what they already have? My friend said he wasn't sure the narrow trails would hold up to the volume of riders in an O-cup field. I guess we'll find out. Either way, nice to see a new venue.

rad to the power of sick
    hmm new is good. But with gas anticipated to hit 1.40$, i think i may have to ride there.

http://www.mountainviewmidland.com/

If I recall, Midland is just over an hour from the 401. Super easy drive, really. And you can save money on gas by drafting another car on the 400!

I'll probably go up and camp the night before/after at Awenda, the provincial park up there. They've got a nice little trail system there and beautiful beaches for a post-race dip in Georgian Bay. Makes for a casual (and cheap) weekend.

bi-winning
    Oh man! I totally loved Mountainview when I did the 9 hour there last year. It's on a ski hill, so they hit you with a bunch of climbing, but the ride down is so fun. Twisty and challenging singletrack.

Check the threads on the 9 hour from last year for a little feedback about the venue.

Mountainview 9 hour
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

I dug this up on Motionbased. Here's an elevation graph of a weekly series race there.

Looks like it's an "up the mountain, down the mountain, repeat 2x per lap" type track, a la Kelso. That'll be a lot of climbing after 3 or 4 laps. Lookin' forward to it!

Sir Hurt Locker
    Anyone have a trail map for this venue or know where to get one?
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    It's cool having the championships in my backyard. The course will definatly be a hilly technical loop.

As for distances from the city. It's 30 minutes north of Barrie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh yeah! Never been to Mountainview. Looking forward to racing somewhere new.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    I raced with there with my high school the last two years in a row, this year will be my third. It's easy to pass by the "entrance" to Mountain View, it's a narrow dirt road with a rather small sign between large box stores. I am not sure about the O-Cup course, but the high school cup course has been very nice, fun twisty singletrack with an off camber twisty downhill section thrown in for good measure.
    2007 Giant Trance 2

mtbr member
    hey - oh..

just thought i'd weigh in. I'm 'the mountainview guy' - built the trails, run the races, take the flak. The trails are indeed tech and a bit slower than what we've been used to, horseshoe is indeed a pretty good comparison. The property is pretty full trails wise already so i don't feel sean will be adding much more except for a new juicy downhill - plus i've already got a loop basically planned out. There will be enough doubletrack and whatnot for an o-cup, its just a case of knowing how to lay out the trails (it can be a bit maze-like for the newcomer.) And yes, plan to git your climbing legs on - 4 times up the hill for the 1:30 start. .

Feel free to bash or praise the place - any questions send em away.

mtbr member
    Is this place opened for normal riding, or is it for racing only (like Mansfield).

I like to ride the venues first, since with a singlespeed I need to get an idea of what kind of pain and suffering I am in for.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    yee singlespeed - anyway, its for racing only, but depending on your drive, you could check out a thursday night race (starting may 1st) or the 9 hour relay in august... www.mountainviewmidland.com for details...also i ride it with 26" wheels, 34X18 and can clean most of it.

mtbr member
    Thanks tmas for the info.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track