Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O-Cup 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

O-Cup 2013

Any idea who has been selected to organize the next O-Cup season? I've heard Chico is not doing it any longer and saw a call for submission on the OCA news feed but can't find any news since.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Pretty sure it's still Chico - I think that call was for last year and lasts several years (5?). The DH series switched over from Sirbikealot to Tufrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Back in September before the last O-Cup I was in contact with Adam about something and he mentioned in the email that he's not doing O-Cup for 2013. Might just be my understanding but I thought that meant Chico as a whole. We'll see soon enough I guess

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseFool View Post
    Any idea who has been selected to organize the next O-Cup season?
    Yeah, I have an idea.

There was a call for submissions about 6 weeks back. I thought it was just a formality. Had I known Chico was no longer interested I may have tossed my own ambitious little hat in the ring.

mtbr member
    Back in September before the last O-Cup I was in contact with Adam about something and he mentioned in the email that he's not doing O-Cup for 2013. Might just be my understanding but I thought that meant Chico as a whole. We'll see soon enough I guess
    My understanding from speaking the Adam is that "he" personally isn't going to be working with the OCUPS and will focus on the 24 Hour, Eight Hour, and Mud Hero. Sean will be resuming the duties of head race honcho for other events.

That's what I understood, but I can't obviously speak for those fellows. I believe the OCA has to follow a protocol as to many companies, to put it out for review/bid to be fair to others that may be interested. I thought this was annually, not every five years. Again, I could be wrong and have known to be occasionally . I think you'll see Chico back again next year though.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'm obviously out of the loop! I did just check the Chico site, and for the first time in YEARS, OCups are not listed on the schedule. Interesting...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I'm obviously out of the loop! I did just check the Chico site, and for the first time in YEARS, OCups are not listed on the schedule. Interesting...
    I believe that they wouldn't post anything until the OCA has completed their official review of applicants to run the series. And with my focus on the OCUPs the past couple of years, I was watching this closely and don't believe they had the actual schedule until the new year. I will predict it will return in the next few weeks .

Evil Jr.
    The OCA hasn't issued the Expression of Interest forms yet for 2013 and the calendar isn't set until all those are in and reviewed and scheduled...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    I was speaking to Sean Ruppel last month. Apparently Chico Racing is not doing OCUPs and will be concentrating on the Mud Hero and 24hour/8 hour events, but Sean's outfit, Superfly Racing will be stepping into its shoes. So it will be most of the same people organizing the events, but just under a different name. I expect none of us will notice any difference at all...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Any idea who has been selected to organize the next O-Cup season? I've heard Chico is not doing it any longer and saw a call for submission on the OCA news feed but can't find any news since.
    Newsflash...

OCA Announce’s New MTB O-Cup Series Organzier | Ontario Cycling Association

Glad to see there are some exciting plans ahead and consistency to a great run series by the Ruppel brothers!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Newsflash...

OCA Announce’s New MTB O-Cup Series Organzier | Ontario Cycling Association

Glad to see there are some exciting plans ahead and consistency to a great run series by the Ruppel brothers!
    Well, there goes the neighbourhood ...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is this good or bad?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Is this good or bad?
    It's good insofar as most folks won't notice a difference, given that Sean helped run the races and designed the courses for OCups for the better part of the past decade
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Is this good or bad?
    Yep, Sean'll do a fine job. Most people won't even notice a difference.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I believe the people working with Superfly have a huge passion for the sport and when that is the case it really shines through in the event organization and product they put out.

I'm really looking forward to competing in the series again this year and in a new category (sport 35-39). No more cupcake races.

Does anyone know if Nationals will be an OCup. Is that the Saturday race?
    Any inside word on where Provincials will be?

Also, lets not forget a HUGE, HUGE thank you to Chico Racing for running an excellent series for many years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For Nationals, Saturday is when Elite's and Juniors usually race. All the others & relay are on Sunday. I imagine Nationals will not be an O-cup, but the Sudbury Canada Cup will count towards O-Cup points similar to Hardwood in past years.

Judging from the release, the 2-day even will mean at least 2 races for those wanting to, e.g. eliminator or short track on Sat and normal race on Sun. There will be 2 new venues from past years, one being for provincials. If you know who to talk to it isn't hard to find out where those 2 new places are

mtbr member

Nationals are an OCUP

Quote Originally Posted by afalts View Post
    For Nationals, Saturday is when Elite's and Juniors usually race. All the others & relay are on Sunday. I imagine Nationals will not be an O-cup, but the Sudbury Canada Cup will count towards O-Cup points similar to Hardwood in past years.

Judging from the release, the 2-day even will mean at least 2 races for those wanting to, e.g. eliminator or short track on Sat and normal race on Sun. There will be 2 new venues from past years, one being for provincials. If you know who to talk to it isn't hard to find out where those 2 new places are
    Just to clarify, Nationals is an OCUP and it`s at Hardwood the week following the Canada Cup. You can see it here and I have also spoke to Glenn at Pulse to verify it.

Pulse Racing Mountain Bike Events

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Interesting, thanks.

I had never even thought to ask Glenn if it was going to count as an O-Cup, just assumed since it was Nationals it wouldn't. U23's and Elite's are split at Nationals, I wonder how they'll distribute the points.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post

I'm really looking forward to competing in the series again this year and in a new category (sport 35-39). No more cupcake races.

Looks like we'll "lock horns" next year, as I'm planning to buy my first UCI license and sign up for the whole series..
    This will be my first full series and the last one on this side of 40....

Can't wait to see the whole schedule and venues!!!

mtbr member
    So last year was my first year of racing. I did 4 Ocups in the try an ocup category. I'm thinking seriously about just signing up for the Sport 35-39 category just like WTR and TDO. Call me a sucker for punishment. I'll get my ass handed to me every race guaranteed, but hey, if I don't try to keep up with the faster riders, what's the point? certainly not "Fun".

Does anyone have a sense of what I'd be looking at financially? If I recall the full UCI is $100+. What would the cost of the series be? another $400?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    I'll get my ass handed to me every race guaranteed, but hey, if I don't try to keep up with the faster riders, what's the point? certainly not "Fun".

Does anyone have a sense of what I'd be looking at financially? If I recall the full UCI is $100+. What would the cost of the series be? another $400?
    Well, you can only get better by pushing yourself against the faster riders. It might take some time to get near the leaders, but you'll be better for it. I can speak from experience as a few years ago, I would do the odd OCUP thinking I should do decent, and would get my rear handed to me.

I have raced in your age group the past two years in the full series finishing in the top three and getting the mandatory upgrade to Master Expert, and going up the the 40-44 age group. I am stepping up my training in an attempt not to wallow in the bottom third of the pack in this category. It remains to be seen if it's successful. I guess what I am saying is you can't get any faster or be competitive without challenging yourself or and/or working harder with training to make you faster come race time.

In terms of cost, I recall the full series registration being in the $240-260 range, not $400. But it's damn fun, and worth the money!

mtbr member

In terms of cost, I recall the full series registration being in the $240-260 range, not $400. But it's damn fun, and worth the money!
    $260 isn't bad for 7 races really. Signing up and paying for the whole shebang would certainly motivate me to get up to Sudbury for the first time ever. I suppose I am due for a Sudbury Saturday Night.

mtbr member

And here's the latest...

Welcome to the Super Fly Racing

Sir Sam's will be a hoot if they use anything like they did at Crank the Shield this year. Looking forward to it!

Evil Jr.
    Well, that's an interesting schedule (no Albion, no Buck, no Kelso...). Nice to see they're keeping things fresh!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the Super Fly Racing

Sir Sam's will be a hoot if they use anything like they did at Crank the Shield this year. Looking forward to it!
    No buck or albion!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast