mtbr member

O-Cup #1 Mansfield

So who is going? Are the trails even going to be open?

I personally plan to be there, as long as the trails will actually be ridable. This will be my first trail ride of the year, so it is likely going to hurt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I plan to be there too as it will be my first O-Cup in a few years and Mansfield is my hometown so it will be nice to go home to start my season. My goal is just to finish in the first half of the pack as I'm in recovery from a battle with pneumonia, now all I need are some front brakes for my race bike.

bi-winning
    At first I thought I might be able to make it out, but with an exam worth 50% of a course grade the next day, I fear that spending a day racing would not be the best way to prepare. It will be a last minute decision, but it looks like it will be a no at this point.

This thought makes me very upset. ( )^5
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I plan on being there, unless it's pouring rain and cold out. Who knows, it's still April and the weather is still unpredictable. Ack, I'm turning into a fair weather rider! Help!

As for today, it's supposed to get to 25 degrees in Kitchener and I'm off for a day of riding the trails! At least I'll have a few days of dirt riding in my legs. I really do find that there is a transitional period for me from riding the road to hitting the trails. I've gotten in so many road miles since Feb. and then yesterday when I got on the dirt, my legs felt so weak and I was freaking out, like what the hell? Thoughts of skipping Mansfield actually floated through my mind.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I plan on being there, unless it's pouring rain and cold out. Who knows, it's still April and the weather is still unpredictable. Ack, I'm turning into a fair weather rider! Help!
    That's somethng you'll have to address before the third week in September.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tell me about it!

Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2

Let's hope we have normal fall weather this September.

Last year it was 3 degrees and pouring rain when I was doing the Valley to Valley Enduro. Think that was the second or third week of Sept. But hey, I was smiling the whole time, well, except when I was cursing like a mad woman trying to get my tires to roll through the muck.
    I actually race better when it's colder out. The heat wilts me like a flower.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    I plan to race as well. But I wish I could ride some dirt to dial in my bike. I am still torn between using 26 or 29 front wheel (on the singlespeed). I would like to get some riding on dirt before making the decision since I never used a 29er wheel with the current Pace RC31 fork.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Evil Jr.
    I'm planning on it as well. It's always good to scope those trails out before doing the Lifestyles 24hr Solo there.

If nothing else, I'd encourage people to get up there for the pre-ride. If you don't race there, it's pretty much the only chance you have to ride it as a civilian.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Alright, now that HSCoach2 has made me feel like a pu$$y, I will be at Mansfield next Sunday come hell or high water.
    High on Life

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I'm planning on it as well. It's always good to scope those trails out before doing the Lifestyles 24hr Solo there.

If nothing else, I'd encourage people to get up there for the pre-ride. If you don't race there, it's pretty much the only chance you have to ride it as a civilian.
    excellent points...always a fun place.

as for the first o-cup and first single tracks...i have this ti fork i'm looking to fold, should be a good place to play roulette...n'est pas?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

rad to the power of sick
    hoy. I ll be there... with zero expectations.. i have no idea where i stand in terms of last years fitness..

cant wait!

I Wanna Be Sedated
    This will be my first ever O-Cup event. Hopefully I have a chance of not embarrassing myself too badly in my old as dirt category. I think I'll head out for a pre-ride late Friday as well as Saturday - I have not been on the trails since the Winter WOW in November unless the wee bit of saingletrack at the P2A counts.

I even have a new bike that has been sitting in my office for the last few months and I've yet to take it on its' maiden voyage. Maybe I'll give it a whirl...
    Jouko

Misfit Psycles
    Pre-Riding
    As Mansfield is no longer an operational riding center, and because they have school groups in during the day, pre-riding starts at 4pm on Friday, April 25. Mansfield is open all day Saturday, with pre-riding fees of $7 applicable on both days.
    that sucks, you mean i have to ride on MY time and not WORK time...for shame.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    nogearshere: I have this ti fork i'm looking to fold, should be a good place to play roulette...n'est pas?

I am looking forward to see that gorgeous Ti bike. I missed the bike show, so I never got to see it up close and personal. I also wanted to see nspace's new singlespeed, but he won't be there, I guess.

tapsa: This will be my first ever O-Cup event ..... I even have a new bike that has been sitting in my office for the last few months and I've yet to take it on its' maiden voyage.

Congratulations on entering your first O-Cup tapsa. So what new bike do you have?
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I guess I had neglected to ho pictures of the new rig on intrawebz!!

try here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...86#post4363686

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Congratulations on entering your first O-Cup tapsa. So what new bike do you have?
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Nice tapsa, very nice indeed. But you should definitely ride it Fri/Sat if you intend to race it. You do not want any weird surprises during the race.

I just noticed that they are forecasting rain on Saturday, so I might have to pre-ride the course on Friday. Damn, I wanted to rest on Friday.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Yes, indeed. If I don't have a chance to spend a few hours with the new bike before the weekend, I'll be riding the trusty old hardtail again.

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Nice tapsa, very nice indeed. But you should definitely ride it Fri/Sat if you intend to race it. You do not want any weird surprises during the race.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    I'm thinking I might make my O-Cup racing debut this Sunday I've raced lots and lots of MTB events, but always skipped the O-Cup scene because they're always held on Sundays or they conflicted with road events.

The stars have aligned though and now I get to either do Mansfield or the Zig Zag By The Lake road event. With me racing the 8-hour @ Mansfield on the 24th and with the Liberty 8x12 series starting in a few weeks, I think I'm going to use the O-Cup as a chance to shake down the new XC racing build.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I'm thinking I might make my O-Cup racing debut this Sunday I've raced lots and lots of MTB events, but always skipped the O-Cup scene because they're always held on Sundays or they conflicted with road events.

The stars have aligned though and now I get to either do Mansfield or the Zig Zag By The Lake road event. With me racing the 8-hour @ Mansfield on the 24th and with the Liberty 8x12 series starting in a few weeks, I think I'm going to use the O-Cup as a chance to shake down the new XC racing build.
    Good plan. O-Cups are lots of fun. It's nice to be able to race against a relatively large group of riders who are in the same age and ability bracket. In events like the squeezer, it feels more like you are racing against everybody and anybody.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    Still considering this one... it's either going to be lots of road km near home, or the O-Cup to get the XC race season started.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    i have this ti fork i'm looking to fold, should be a good place to play roulette...n'est pas?
    I'm hoping the carbon one keeps from unravelling. The Lepper sez his is "quick". Haven't heard a peep from nspace on his.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Spoke to a friend who lives around the corner from the venue and there is still a bit of snow in woods. So be prepared
    See y'all there.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I'm hoping the carbon one keeps from unravelling. The Lepper sez his is "quick". Haven't heard a peep from nspace on his.
    another day gone, last night, i only managed to move it from one room to another...looks like i could be doing the 4pm pre-ride directly from wall-to-trail...carbon saddle and all!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There is no snow now, infact, most of the ultra sandy course could really use some rain, even after the stuff this morning. Like always, it is a very fast course.