mtbr member

NRS 1x9 drive train

I just finished making some lexan chain guides. Thanks to rkj__ for pointing me to the thread where I got this idea. Not exactly sure why I wanted to make my NRS into a 1x9, but there it is. I'll run it like this and see if I like it.

-Dave

bi-winning
    It Looks very nice.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    It Looks very nice.
    Thanks The photos don't show the mistakes. I couldn't find my hole saw and didn't feel like buying a circle cutter, so they're round enough. haha...

If I end up liking the 1x9 setup I'll likely make a nice outer ring out of 1/8" 6061-T6. Basically make my own rock ring.

-Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ...ddave, that's crafty - niece piece. I'm contemplating a 1x9 set-up meself. What size chain ring are u using - 29 tooth? What crankarms? Also, 'wanna know how you made that guide and where you got the materials. Sorry for asking too much but I'm a bit desperate for 411.......peace

mtbr member
    Thanks It wasn't my idea, so I can't take credit for that. haha

About 1/2 way down this page is where I saw it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/show-pics-your-1x9-setup-158959-7.html#post1504035
    There is a template there that isn't the right scale, and I couldn't find the original, so I did it myself.

I'm running "standard" 32T middle ring up front. XT Hollowtech-II crankset. The guides are made from 0.090" (about 3/32) thick Lexan. I got it from Home Depot in a 10"x14" sheet (or something like that). As you can see from the pictures I just made the diameter of the guides a little bit bigger than where the chain sits on the ring.

For the outer guide I used my big chain ring to mark the bolt holes and centre cut size (where it will sit on the flange where the big chain ring used to sit). I used a Dremel to mill out the centre hole (this was very tricky, it likes to grab like crazy) and then a file to fine tune the fit. For the outside edge I just used a hacksaw to cut a bunch of tangents, and then filed it to the right size.

For the inner guide I used my granny ring to mark the bolt holes and the centre hole that will clear the bottom bracket. Same deal as before for cutting and filing, except that I used a big spade bit to drill the centre hole that clears the BB.

For both guides I used a compass to mark the outer circle, after finding the centre that I found after marking the bolt holes from the chain rings by drawing an X through the middle of those marks and using a protractor to verify that the X was square.

Once done, just bolt them up, and enjoy. You'll likely want to shorten your chain too, just to increase the tension. You may get a bit of rubbing in top or bottom gear. If so, you could chamfer the inner edge of the rubbing guide, if you care. I'm just going to let mine wear on its own since the dragging is very very slight.

In the end I wish I'd had a scroll saw

I finally got a chance to get out and test ride the new guides on the weekend. When I rode without the guides my chain jumped over a dozen times in half an hour, so I limped it out of the woods. With the guides, I rode the same trails for over an hour, with sections far more bumpy, didn't even jump once!

-Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

re:

...DDave, TY for the detailed 411. I'll probably do my inner plate this way since I can't find one for a 5-bolt 74BCD. I already have a e.13 bashie for the outside. Again, TY

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was thinking of doing this for a while.
    thanks for the push.

Bored
    I've always just used a standard chain ring guide on the outside and a 3rd Eye Chain catcher on the inside.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=37789
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I've always just used a standard chain ring guide on the outside and a 3rd Eye Chain catcher on the inside.

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=37789
    That would have worked too, but it was really just an excuse to make stuff.

-Dave

Defiant MTB
    Looks good! I like the clear bashguard look.

I'm running a chain-sandwich myself (1x8): Blackspire Ring God Bash with Blackspire Blackgaurd inner and to take up the slack a Blackspire Stinger (chainguide/chain tensioner). It works like a dream and the chain never falls off!

I wish I had the skills to make my own...

mtbr member
    I like the clear look too, but as soon as scroll saws go on sale at Canadian Tire I'm getting one and making an aluminum outer ring. I don't like having the chainring bolts through the lexan and it's only a matter of time before I nail a rock and wreck it. I might drill a funky pattern though so you can see the chain through the aluminum. That would be sweet.

It wasn't that difficult. I'm sure you could make your own.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by genetix.canada
    Looks good! I like the clear bashguard look.

I'm running a chain-sandwich myself (1x8): Blackspire Ring God Bash with Blackspire Blackgaurd inner and to take up the slack a Blackspire Stinger (chainguide/chain tensioner). It works like a dream and the chain never falls off!

I wish I had the skills to make my own...

Person
    Sep 2005
    I made my own as well last winter. Was a bit of a pain getting the bolt holes lined up.

Have been amazed with how well it has held up, I thought it would explode after hitting the 1st rock.

It's just a simple 90degree bracket that keeps the chain from falling off on the inside.

mtbr member
    Nice! I like the carbon. Where did you find carbon plate, or did you make it from scratch?

Does the chain ever jump with the 90 degree inner guide?

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    I made my own as well last winter. Was a bit of a pain getting the bolt holes lined up.
    Have been amazed with how well it has held up, I thought it would explode after hitting the 1st rock.
    It's just a simple 90degree bracket that keeps the chain from falling off on the inside.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave
    Nice! I like the carbon. Where did you find carbon plate, or did you make it from scratch?

Does the chain ever jump with the 90 degree inner guide?

-Dave
    I just made it from scratch, bought the carbon fabric on ebay.

The chain has jumped 3-4 times this year, it's very rare for it to happen.

I made a different chainguide as well that doesn't need the bash on the outside, so it's much lighter. Will try to post a pic later.