View Poll Results: Fav. North Bay bike shop.

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cycle Works

1 14.29%
  • North Riders

1 14.29%
  • Momentum

4 57.14%
  • Cheapskates

1 14.29%
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

North Bay bike shops

I'm curious to know where people go.

Cycle Works has got a great line up of bikes: Giant, Kona, Santa Cruz and Cervelo. As far as I know, Kevin is the only accredited bicycle repair person in the area.

Momemtum is great too for their service. Steph is a great mechanic.

North Riders-I don't have much experience with them. Good line up of bikes...Trek, Norco, Cannondale.

Cheapskates-I don't even really consider them a shop any more. All of their good employees left, not to mention all the lines leaving too. What do they carry? Jamis, Brodie and KHS. No thanks.

mtbr member
    I didn't vote because I've only used Cheapskates...and that was back a few years, before the other shops existed. But what I want to know is how the hell does NB support 4 bike shops and yet Sudbury only has 2?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't North Bay can sustain 4 shops. I think Cheapskates is on it's way out. There was a recent change of ownership. It has changed drastically, for the worse. No nothing staff and bad lines.

I think that Momentum can survive as there's not a lot of overhead.

North Rider's has a good following.

And from what I hear Cycle Works is doing amazingly well.

Bored
    I voted for Momentum because they had the coolest name and to skew the results.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Calm Like a Bomb
    i'm a fan of momentum....i'm not from the area but go to north bay at least 1-2 times per month...momentum have always gone above and beyond to help me out....
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member

Where do I vote for the one I will never return to

The two shops I have had dealings with in North Bay have not impressed me, to say the least.
    But I have heard good things about Momentum and North Riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What two shops are you referring to? Care to elaborate on your negative experiences?

mtbr member

Since you asked

First shop I dealt with once and only once was Cheapskates. About two years ago I was needed a new cassette, I went in and explained what I needed to the prepubescent lad in the shop, after some difficulty I managed to to explain that I needed "gears" . None in stock?!?!! What about the one off the wheel set on display? "well I should talk to the manager, can you wait until Monday?". "No". Ended up getting what I needed after instructing the kid how to remove the cassette from the wheel.
    Then last fall my girl friend moved to North Bay to attend school, here XTR hydros just weren't feeling right. So off to Cycle Works, after a recommendation from a friend. She drops the bike off and asks to have the breaks bled. She picks it up and the breaks are squealing like a banshee, Kevin says she need new pads. Knowing she just replaced the pads and was coming to see me that weekend, she declined to buy new pads. Kevin also adds that her fork needs to be rebuilt and the SST valve is shot, but we already new that, and she should replace all the pivots in her suspension. She pays the bill and leaves with a sick feeling that she had just been screwed. She equated the experience to the way a mechanic can make a woman feel
    I get the bike that weekend. Do her pads need to be replaced, yes, because they are now soaked with oil! Don't know how this happened, either wasn't paying attention during the bleed or decided to open her fork up to check it out (which he was never asked to do).
    Head to an LBS here, that I know and trust, and get the pivots looked at, I had them replaced earlier in the season, can't make em budge, nothing wrong. They also agree with the state of the pads, useless, lots of pad left, just soaked in oil. So I buy another set of pads and clean the rotor, which has come into contact with oil from the pads, and we are off and riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That doesn't surprise me about Cheapskates. They're knowledge/service has gone downhill fast. They're going to have to step it up if they're going to survive. I don't know anyone that goes there anymore.

I'm shocked that Kevin would mess up like that. I don't know him to be a scheister.

For what it's worth, I saw that Christian(at North Rider's) won the local chanber of commerce award for customer service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Northriders all the way! Why?

-Cheapskates, new owner (past McD's manager), no experianced mechs.
    -Cycleworks, past cheapskates employee, don't trust this dude, striped out my bb, on a new frame, then attempted to blame me.
    -Momentum, purchased a eyeleted ryno-lite here one week, the next week returned to get the mate, "we don't carry these" was the reply.

I'm local and have been riding for some time now and the boys at northriders are the only ones that touch my bike, knowlegable staff/owner, good selection of bikes/parts, and well service with a smile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NormalNorman
    Northriders all the way! Why?

-Cheapskates, new owner (past McD's manager), no experianced mechs.
    -Cycleworks, past cheapskates employee, don't trust this dude, striped out my bb, on a new frame, then attempted to blame me.
    -Momentum, purchased a eyeleted ryno-lite here one week, the next week returned to get the mate, "we don't carry these" was the reply.

I'm local and have been riding for some time now and the boys at northriders are the only ones that touch my bike, knowlegable staff/owner, good selection of bikes/parts, and well service with a smile.

Yeah, I heard that the new owner of Cheapskates used to manage MickeyD's. That's hilarious. He's way outta his element. "You want a fry with that?" haha

I have a hard time believing all these stories about Kevin being a crappy mech. How did he graduate from Barnett's if he does these careless things?

I hear nothing but good things about the service at Momentum. Hmm?

I would prefer to support a truly locally-owned store(like Momentum or Cycle Works) than a transplant that always refers back to his home town. If things are so awesome there, why leave?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My buddy was telling me that he recently went to Cheapskates to check out the 08 lineup.

The new owner was trying to tell him that Brodie bikes are hand made in Canada. Maybe 30 years ago when Paul was starting out.

Apparently, he argued until my friend pointed out the Made in China sticker on the frame.

I heard that Brodie has their bikes manufactured at the same factory that makes Wal-mart's full suspension bikes(in China).