Muskoka

NEX 5: the year in review [o]

One year ago I purchased one of the new mirrorless SLRs, a Sony NEX 5. These cameras give DSLR quality plus interchangeable lenses in a camera the size to a rangefinder or most P&S cameras. In other words, very portable and I haven't ridden with my DSLR since! So I thought it fun to post up the year in review with some favourites...

namagomi
    Full manual sensor control? What about on the lens system, can you use mf? Which lens do you use most on the trail? Ever dropped it or crashed with it?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Full manual sensor control? What about on the lens system, can you use mf? Which lens do you use most on the trail? Ever dropped it or crashed with it?
    yes full sensor control or choose from a host of algorithms. yes can mf or auto, both work very well. i have 16mm prime & 18-55 zoom, both are 'kit" lenses. on the trail i'm mostly shooting with the 16mm prime.i also have adapter that lets me mount my Leica M4 lenses btw must manual focus with those lenses. my resolution for coming year is to use those lenses more to get me away from always shootin' wide angle. Love wide angle because i'm into landscapes mostly.
    never dropped but yes, have crashed out a few times this year...no damage. i carry it in a small case that slides onto the top chest strap of my hydration pac. pretty safe location and quick access

Evil Jr.
    Beyond my '68 Pentax SLR, I know nothing about photography but thanks for the retrospective on another great year!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    yes full sensor control or choose from a host of algorithms. yes can mf or auto, both work very well. i have 16mm prime & 18-55 zoom, both are 'kit" lenses. on the trail i'm mostly shooting with the 16mm prime.i also have adapter that lets me mount my Leica M4 lenses btw must manual focus with those lenses. my resolution for coming year is to use those lenses more to get me away from always shootin' wide angle. Love wide angle because i'm into landscapes mostly.
    never dropped but yes, have crashed out a few times this year...no damage. i carry it in a small case that slides onto the top chest strap of my hydration pac. pretty safe location and quick access
    Did you look at the Nikon 1?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Did you look at the Nikon 1?
    No, not interested in small sensor cameras.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker View Post
    Whenever I see your pictures I always think that there's a guy who really loves where he lives and seems to have a great lifestyle.

Love your photos. Keep them coming!

I'm into photography too. D300 mostly for travel and my kids sports. 70-200VR 2.8 and a 200VR F2.0, plus a couple kit lenses. 30 years from now the pics will be my most valuable possessions!
    So true!
    Thanks,
    BCD

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Whenever I see your pictures I always think that there's a guy who really loves where he lives and seems to have a great lifestyle.

Love your photos. Keep them coming!

I'm into photography too. D300 mostly for travel and my kids sports. 70-200VR 2.8 and a 200VR F2.0, plus a couple kit lenses. 30 years from now the pics will be my most valuable possessions!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Beautiful stuff BCD. The moments are wonderfully captured, and with a level of art that you are very modest about IMHO.

I have a cheapo Olympus four thirds DSLR with a couple of kit lenses, plus a couple of point 'n' shoot units kicking around the house. However, even with a few hours in an entry level course I'm always reminded that consistently producing nice shots takes lots of practice and a good "eye" for photography. I currently have neither, and may never be capable of the latter!

Muskoka
    Always nice to have one's efforts recognized, thanks to all for the appreciation!
    Cheers,
    BCD

mtbr member
    looks like you had a great year biking... and its not over yet

bi-winning
    It's easy to see why your DSLR stays at home for bike rides now. The NEX is so much more portable, and clearly in the right hands, the NEX is plenty capable of producing some great images.

Keep 'em comin' BCD. Don't hesitate to slide in some "off topic" stuff once in a while too.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    It's easy to see why your DSLR stays at home for bike rides now. The NEX is so much more portable, and clearly in the right hands, the NEX is plenty capable of producing some great images.

Keep 'em comin' BCD. Don't hesitate to slide in some "off topic" stuff once in a while too.
    Ha!!..Cheers!