Thread: Newfie newbie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Newfie newbie

Anyone point me in the direction of cycling info for Newfoundland. Want to tour there, as offroad as poss, maybe with a bob. When's the least worst time for climate and midges?

mtbr member
    Have you tired their tourism department there?
    I am sure you can find it online

cApIcE
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yup, I've looked at Newfie web tourist stuff and it's not much help. Looks like it's designed for a 25 bit connection.
    It's hardly going to tell me about the midges is it?
    That's like UK's Lake District Tourism dept wittering on about their leaky Nuclear processing plant.
    I need some real life stuff not brochures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Check out BNL, probably drop an email to one of the contacts there. They might be able to help you better than I can.

www.bnl.nf.ca

The tourism site is useless.

What sort of riding are you looking at doing? There is a cross-island trail that was built from an old railbed. It's not very technical, but it is offroad and there's a lot of beautiful scenery. There are plenty of MTB-specific trails near the major towns, especially St. John's and Corner Brook but I'm not sure that would count as touring.... Most trails here are rocky, rooty with lots of ups and downs. No super big climbs but lots of little steep downs.

Anyway, the best time to come here is August and September. Those months have the best chances of good weather and the flies don't tend to be too horrible. The weather's iffy in June and July and the flies are murder. Millions of black flies and helicopter-sized mosquitos.

The people are super friendly and colourful. Most folks who visit like it here.

If you happen to come here and you want to check out the trails near St. John's drop me a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There are some pics from the St. John's area in this thread:

St. John's, Newfoundland

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks so much!
    I also wrote useless but deleted it so as not to offend.
    The best info I found was some of the scientific stuff on flora and fauna
    I'd pack a fly rod
    I thought of riding the long distance trail from one corner to the other, about 500 miles, but wanted to avoid mozzies and mating moose.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyuk
    Thanks so much!
    I'd pack a fly rod
    I thought of riding the long distance trail from one corner to the other, about 500 miles, but wanted to avoid mozzies and mating moose.
    I have been to Newfoundland many times, but never ridden. The views are spectacular, and the people are super-warm and friendly. The island is known as “The Rock” for good reason. Much of the island is rocky with many mountains/large hills. I should image they have got some incredible trails that would certainly be worth riding. Hopefully, you can hook-up with some locals that can get you sorted.

You should be worried about the moose…the place is full of them. You often see them on the roads at dawn/dusk. Not really a problem on a bike, unless you startle one, or get between a cow and her calf. At 1200 lb+, not something you want to get on the wrong side of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyuk
    Thanks so much!
    I'd pack a fly rod

Don't worry about offending. Anyone who's seen the tourism site would call it useless...

If you're into flyfishing, bring your rod. You'll need a non-resident license for trout. Not hard to get or very expensive. If you wanted to get into Atlantic Salmon, I think you're supposed to have a guide, but the requirements for who can be a guide are pretty lax.

I wouldn't be too concerned about moose on a bike. 99% of the time they'll hear you long before you even know they're near and they'll take off. You do need to be concerned about black bears if you're camping along the trail outside of towns. At least until you get to the Avalon Peninsula where there aren't any. Lots of bugs everywhere, though. Muskol usually keeps them at bay.

Like I said earlier, if you happen to come to the St. John's area, PM me before you get here or start a thread. I'll show you the local bike trails and even a few trout streams if you'd like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeh I'd forgotten about the bears. Biggest black bears in the whole world.
    So you reckon the long distance trail is pretty much an old railway track?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Railway bed...

It's a railway that they tore up in 1988 (Thanks Wikipedia), I've been on bits and pieces of it near Deer Lake, and it's pretty wide, full of gravel and ton's of side trails.

Personally I think it'd be hell to ride on, what I remember was all soft gravel..

From this Link (Wikipedia) it says that they're resurfacing it, but from an article I read in the Star recently it's still pretty soft. A few guys took their enduro's over parts of it.

You may be better to road-ride bits and pieces of it, or drive, camp and do day trips in different areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for that

mtbr member
    I just saw a news story about the Trans-Canada trail that goes through NL that said the bridges/etc along it are in very poor shape.

"Teams of engineers were busy Monday inspecting all bridges and trestles along the Newfoundland portion of the Trans-Canada Trail after Transport Canada warned some of them are so dilapidated they are on the brink of crumbling and pose "an unreasonable life-safety risk."

I grew up in NL and I have to say that most of the trails are quite technical, so I'm not sure how easily navigable they'll be with a trailer. Then again, I never did much touring style riding and spent most of my time on various trails around the St. John's area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks
    Looks like political spin covering incompetance
    In the UK British Rail is still responsible [and it is] for hundreds of bridges left behind after the Beeching mass railway closure of the early 60s. Newfie situation seems 'out of sight out of mind'