mtbr member
    May 2009

newbie in southern ontario

Hi all,

Looking to get into mountain biking, so I'm looking for some beginner trails in southern ontario.
    I also don't have any gear or bike, so i'll need to rent.

Does anyone know of any good trails that fit that criteria?
    I've heard of Hardwood Hills, and I'll probably try that one first.

Thanks.

qin__23

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Suggestion

Hardwood is a bit of a hike up the 400 to get to from Toronto...a closer location that is very good for beginners is Durham Forest.

Durham has everything from gravel double track to twisty, hilly singletrack.

See the link below for directions, map:

http://maps.gotwisted.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Durham is a public forest, there is no bike rentals there.
    If you are intent on renting a bike, Hardwood hills would be your best bet.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    Where in Southern Ontario are you located?

There are some shops that rent bikes out and can point you in the direction of great trails nearby. Or even you could rent and join a group ride.
    There are soooo many great riding options in Southern Ontario! Man, I love living here!
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the responses!

Durham forest is significantly closer to me than Hardwood, but if it doesn't have
    rentals then I don't think i can go there.

I'm located in york region.

I'm not sure I want to join a group ride, considering i've never ridden offtrail before.
    Plus im outta shape.

qin__23

Out there
    Aug 2006
    If you go to Hardwood, I strongly recommend getting a lesson from Rob Fex, the coach there. He's a lovely guy and very gentle on beginners.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

All my faucets is Moen.
    If you're going to try Hardwood. Don't try it this weekend. Canada Cup.

But go if you want to see some great racers.

mtbr member
    You can find many different trails to ride in Southern Ontario on www.mtbiking.ca. There are some really great places to ride in Southern Ontario. My two favorites are Albion Hills and Buckwallow.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    You can also rent bikes from Kamikaze in Collingwood and take a loop around (in increasing order of difficulty) Loree, Kolapore or 3-Stage.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    If you can get a rental bike, on June 14th there is a Don Valley Knobby Newbie Ride (15km) starting at the brick works parking lot 10am. 416-760-4191

Hardwood Hills would be a great 1 stop shop for rentals and a variety of terrain difficulties to get you underway

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Durham is a public forest, there is no bike rentals there.
    If you are intent on renting a bike, Hardwood hills would be your best bet.
    Actually you can rent bikes from Northern Cycle in Ajax, depending on where you are located it's sort of on the way to durham forest. Hardwood hills is a great facility but it's a good drive from Toronto . Once you factor in the rental fee, trail ticket, and time/gas to get there. DUrham forest is a much better bet! There are lots of riders there every weekend )though once you are on the trails you'll rarely see other riders!)

Evil Jr.
    If you feel like heading a different direction, Freewheel Cycles in Dundas (near Hamilton) rents bikes and you have almost immediate access to Dundas Valley Conservation Area which is a beginner's dream and just plain beautiful to boot. Pack a lunch and ride the whole day.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow, that's a lot of choices. Thanks everyone.

Yeah, Hardwood hills is a bit of a drive from where I am, but Collingwood is even farther (about 2+ hours).

I think I'll check out a few of these places.

qin__23

mtbr member
    where abouts in York Region? You can also rent bikes from Caledon Hills Cycling in Inglewood and then ride at Albion Hills. Both are in Caledon but are quick to get to if you are on the west or central parts of York. Some of the trails in Albion will be a bit challenging if its your first ever but nothing really super tough.

Looking for Adventure
    Albion Hills has bike rentals and marked trails, and if you stick with the marked ski trails, you should get in a decent day of riding and exploring.

Hardwood Hills is the only other place I know that has marked trails and on-site rentals.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm in Richmond Hill.

Albion hills is actually quite a bit closer.

Ricksom, you sure albion has bike rentals? I checked their website and they don't metion
    bike rentals.

qin__23

Looking for Adventure
    They did last year. Go into the tuck store just before the little bridge near the parking (at the stop sign). But phone to confirm before you head out.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Ricksom is right. The little grocery store rented bikes last year. It's a private enterprise rather than anything to do with the park itself I think which is why it doesn't show up on the site.

mtbr member
    And if they don't try calling Caledon Hills Cycling to see if they still rent. You can ride straight to Albion from there on the rail trail (although about 20 minute ride) or drive over.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great!
    Thanks everyone.

qin__23