mtbr member

new trails in the Don

Regular Don riders might have noticed some changes in the Don recently. Wooden signs with trail names have gone up, and more importantly... there's a couple new trails. Let's not post directions here or get into debates about that, suffice it to say that these trails are easy enough to get to (up near Catalyst & Skypilot) and are not hidden.

Need I say... don't be a piece of s--t like James V. Leone and cause trouble for people... ride at your own risk and accept responsibility for the outcomes of your actions. In other words, live like a real Man/Woman, and with honour.

However, one might consider these trails to be in beta (work is still on-going)... parts are totally and highly rideable, others aren't. There's also alot of trash and crap in the area. On one side of the valley the crap is from the old folk's home and the Community Gardens, on the other side it's from the St. Mary's/ABM cement place.

It would be greatly appreciated by the crew that put these trails together if you could stop during your ride to pick up some garbage and haul it out, or move some of the stuff into piles to make it easier to remove later, etc. Every little bit counts; cliche but true. If you see bricks, blocks or stones lying around, helping to collect and make piles of those materials for work later is of great help as well.

Also, those of you who have been out on the City & IMBA builds lately have shown that you've got some mad skills when it comes to bench-cutting and working on trails. Even if you only worked 5'-10' for each time you rode it, it'd be super-sweet in no time. Or rake a few feet. Y'all get the idea.

I always run into tons of people when I'm out who are thankful, and alot of them ask what they can do or how to get involved. Well, it's a pain in the ass to schedule people, so the above suggestions are things that anyone of any skill level can do at any time, and as much or as little of it as they want.

Cheers!
    Last edited by The Rear Admiral; 10-31-2007 at 05:11 PM.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Hey, Byron... I have been following the new trail work... looks f'n awesome... can't wait to ride it... am thinking about a pilgrimage to the city just to check it out. Respect, dude... wish there was the same kind of (semi-public) community up here.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    I rode the Don yesterday and loved every minute of it.

The new signs are a bonus, as is the bridge under the train tracks by Overlea (where the guys are always playing cricket in the parking lot).

Sorry, I'm not familar with the names of the sections despite the fact I have ridden most, if not all, of it.

Cheers!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Thanks for the good vibes dudes! Just remember it's a group effort (by some great people that I feel lucky to know) and anyone is welcome to join said group

If folks don't like the scheduling and planning hassles involved with unofficial/guerilla builds like this, or feel uncomfortable due to lack of previous exposure to trailbuilding, then keep an eye out for the official City & IMBA build days. That is a fantastic way to get involved with a larger group in a more structured setting.

I mention this because there's alot of trails in the Don, and part of the goal of the signs is to avoid the need for a public map and those hassles. With signs, people can comfortably explore a trail system and in the process distribute wear & tear instead of sticking to a few well known spots and shredding the hell out of them. At the same time, in terms of physical fitness required, the Don is not a beginner system. It's more like a collection of mini-systems joined together, but isolated to half-milers and lazy folks by very challenging sections. This means we're not all of a sudden going to see tons of newbs in the really sick spots, as they won't have the lungs & legs to get there. It's also not a system conducive to riding big heavy bikes (though it has killer spots for those and we're making more) so that helps wear & tear.

Sweet

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Late in the summer I didn't get to ride in the Don much, can't wait to get back.

I rode a bunch of times earlier because I had some business downtown so I would head in early in the morning to ride. I saw the beginning of the trail under the bridge at overlea.

I tore my achilles in the Don a few years ago and never ever thought about blaming anyone but myself. Leone is a really self centered lowlife.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    the bridge under the train tracks by Overlea (where the guys are always playing cricket in the parking lot)
    Ah yes, that bridge! One of the larger projects, and most/all of the cost was fronted by one of our epic builders, a guy named Stikky. 40 bags of concrete paid for out of his own pocket, so if you run into him and you feel like it, I'm sure he'd appreciated a donation. Most of the wood was offcuts donated to us by a guy called JW and that helped save a good bit of coin.

The bridge was made (along with it's partner 'the Bellringer' on the south Flats entrance) to eliminate the need to cross the train tracks. Half of the reason being safety, the other half wanting to be good citizens to CN by stopping embankment erosion as people scoot up and over the tracks. That and it looks cool and is fun to ride!

mtbr member
    Big thanks to everyone who contirbuted!

I did see 2 guys working on the trail that day as well.

They were on the section from Loblaws to Overlea (by the water filtration plant).

I'm headed back to the Don tomorrow afternoon for some more fun.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Live Free or Ride!
    This is great to see, The Don is great as it is, some more trails are very welcome.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    I did see 2 guys working on the trail that day as well.
    They were on the section from Loblaws to Overlea (by the water filtration plant)
    Excellent I think I know the guys you're talking about... I haven't been over that way in a while, but I hear some nice stuff is getting put together. Hope so, I believe the dude is an engineer, hehehe...