mtbr member
    Jun 2012

new trail at Fanshawe

Has anyone riden the new trail cut at the end of the babyhead hill trail. Heading counter clockwise as you exit the trail you could climb the hill and either take the small hill or go right to the bigger hill, now this trail does not go down where it used to it loops back through allot and its very tight in some turns. So tight I could not get around a few corners, just to tight of a turn, oh you better drop to granny as well or forget climbing anything. Just wondering if anyone has notice this or its just me.

mtbr member
    Sounds like that old "rouge" trail that was hacked in there a few years ago .
    It sucks ass clockwise .
    I ignore it .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Noticed it while going clockwise but too late to bother turning around to check it out. Going tomorrow so I may check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elongate View Post
    Noticed it while going clockwise but too late to bother turning around to check it out. Going tomorrow so I may check it out.
    Did it yesterday for the 1st time (clockwise). Most of the section looks brand new with exception of the final few hundred yards going into existing trail just before the big hill. I could not make a few tight turns going uphill on my 29er, may be doable for me once the trail is packed down.

Evil Jr.
    Seems odd to build a trail with turns you can't make. Is it supposed to be a biking trail?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK I had the same issue, I wonder if the trail builders actually take a bike with them to see if turns they make are actually rideable. I love technical trails but if my front wheel is 90 degrees to my frame to turn something bad is going to happen.I wish also they would stop ripping out the cool sections when a tree falls, that pine tree in the Dragons trail was fun to go over and they ripped it out. Its a black diamond rated trail leave the hard stuff in it please. Rant over LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode it counter clockwise tonight. Definitely needs to be packed down. Tight turns on a Tallboy for sure.It needed to be opened up a bit so you can let it flow on the short downhill parts.

mtbr member
    ohhhhh....that new trail .
    Rode it last night .
    Definately not the rouge trail I mentioned earlier .
    I guessing that the Upper Thames Cons. Authority did make this one as it
    was flagged before constuction (hackers dont flag ) .
    It is tight in spots and a few of the down hill turns CW dont flow very
    well .
    Unfortunately the only way to get your bike around them is to rear wheel
    skid it back into the hill .
    Not the best way to treat a trail :-( .
    It is loose and not packed down in spots due to it being new and this affects traction .
    Its almost doable now CW and should improve with more traffic .
    Curioius how it flows CCW .
    2 x 10 29'r is your best bet .
    Having worked with the previous trail crew from the Upper Thames Cons. Auth , I can verify that they did take bikes out to test their work but the person leading that group has since left and I can not vouch for the current crew .
    The trail does add challenge and mileage to the trail but as far as fun factor ...... welllll
    Fahza29er was correct in saying that they should leave the nicer/fun trails in instead of giving us a semi thought out trail like this new one .
    Can we trade this new one in for the trail by the Bowl that was shut down in a hurry last season ??