Thread: New to riding

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008

New to riding

Hey guys - I'm going to be picking up my first 'real' mountain bike this week, and was wondering where a good spot to start riding is - I live close to Milton, specifically at the 407/401 intersection.

I see that Hilton Falls appears to be popular - would you reccommend any trails there for a 'newb'? Any particularly good access spots?

Any advice is appreciated - keep in mind that I'm pretty athletic, and generally good at all sports. I have no doubts that I'll be a good mountain-biker.

Thanks,
    Paul.

X-Ray Guy
    Kelso is also a very good set of trails that has a wide variety of skill level riding that u can do. Pretty much everyone can ride those trails at their own pace and skip the fancy stunts.

More than a little slow
    Both Kelso and Hilton Falls are good places to ride. Hilton can get rough in places but if you can learn to handle the stuff in there you will always have an advantage. Hilton Falls also shuts its gate to mountain bikers much less frequently then Kelso does ( Kelso's trails can get damaged more easily in wet conditions ).
    Have fun ...
    Cheers, Dave

Evil Jr.
    You're also within really nice distance from two of my favourite places to ride: Puslinch (Guelph-ish) and Hydro Cut (South-west Kitchener). Both are real skills builders.

In my opinion, as a beginner, I'd probably start with Hydro Cut since it's virtually impossible to get lost. Puslinch is another matter all together. I've been there bunches of times and I still make wrong turns. You can't really get lost but it can take you a lot longer to get back to your car than you intended if you get turned around.

Good hunting!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    You're also within really nice distance from two of my favourite places to ride: Puslinch (Guelph-ish) and Hydro Cut (South-west Kitchener). Both are real skills builders.

In my opinion, as a beginner, I'd probably start with Hydro Cut since it's virtually impossible to get lost. Puslinch is another matter all together. I've been there bunches of times and I still make wrong turns. You can't really get lost but it can take you a lot longer to get back to your car than you intended if you get turned around.

Good hunting!
    Thanks. I've got a GPS so getting lost isn't such a big deal. Just mark the car and away we go.

I made the big purchase today - settled on a Cannondale F4, with shimano m324 pedals, as I figure sometime in the summer I may want to make the jump to clipless. Also got a helmet, seat bag, gloves, mini-pump, multi-tool, spare tube, lock, saddle, water-bottle holder, and a car rack. Spent a lot of cash, so I'd better get to using this stuff right away.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Hydrocut is my favourite trail system (though I am biased since it is a 15 min bike ride from my house) because I find it a real good workout. There are no extreme obstacles but the trails are very flowy, there are some challenging uphills, and the switchbacks on Kamikaze Run are amazing!! It is a trail system that I can (and have) spend an entire day riding. And from what I hear it will be expanding That said, Kelso and Hilton Falls are also really awesome, the Hilton Falls mtb trails (such as Bent Rim) are very technical and challenging, consider yourself warned. I usually ride Kelso first, then bike over to Hilton Falls and do those trails, then I go back to Kelso and ride it again. Kelso is cool because there are a lot a obstacles to try and conquer. Also some cool jumps and drops Good Luck with finding your favourite trail and exploring this part of the country. CHEERS
    Cheers,

Seb

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Took the plunge today - got the bike and all its bits and pieces. Went out for a short ride and everything feels great - who knew a bike could feel so solid?!

I'm really anxious to get out to the trails - I'd imagine all the snow is gone after the past few days. Bit of a bummer that its supposed to rain all weekend though.

When does Hilton Falls open for riding? Is it a year-round kind of place?

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Thanks. I've got a GPS so getting lost isn't such a big deal. Just mark the car and away we go.

I made the big purchase today - settled on a Cannondale F4, with shimano m324 pedals, as I figure sometime in the summer I may want to make the jump to clipless. Also got a helmet, seat bag, gloves, mini-pump, multi-tool, spare tube, lock, saddle, water-bottle holder, and a car rack. Spent a lot of cash, so I'd better get to using this stuff right away.
    "Mark the car"?!?!?! What, you piss on a tire and it's good to go?!??!

Welcome to MTBR!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Took the plunge today - got the bike and all its bits and pieces. Went out for a short ride and everything feels great - who knew a bike could feel so solid?!

I'm really anxious to get out to the trails - I'd imagine all the snow is gone after the past few days. Bit of a bummer that its supposed to rain all weekend though.

When does Hilton Falls open for riding? Is it a year-round kind of place?
    At this time of year, I would call Kelso/Hilton Falls to see if they are open. Due to weather, things can change quickly.

You should also check with the guys at Spokes n Slopes. In the past, they have organized group rides at Hilton. This would be a good way to find some of the better trails that are not shown on the formal map.
    It's only pain......