mtbr member

New Ontarian.....

Hey, just gettin back into riding after a long time, used to mess around with BMXs as a kid. Live in St Catharines, but work in Stoney Creek/Hamilton. Grabbed a Kona DJ bike off a local classifieds site, had it a couple weeks, then came accross a guy wanting to trade a full suspension for a dirt jumper. So I traded the guy straight up for this Specialized Hardrock Uno, thats been upgraded with Magura Julie brakes, brand new Manitou match comp 130mm front, Fox vanilla rl rear, alex rims, dmr pedals, ritchey stem, FSA bars and headset and a couple other things. All I had to do was put rubber on the back and shes good to go. Only spent one day on the trails with it so far but had a blast riding with my buddy whos pretty advanced (this will help me get upto speed quick). Bike feels solid, but will probably take it to my LBS to have it checked over. Looking forward to hitting the ski hills once they open and really flyin!!

humber river advocate
    shred on! but you might want to try a rental dh bike at the ski hill just for
    comparison sake
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Evil Jr.
    Welcome to Ontario!

Was the previous owner of the bike a really tall guy? It seems like there are a LOT of headset spacers in there!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Oh im not new to Ontario, just new here, and from Ontario.

And I may rent one of the big triple crown norcos up at Blue Mountain, I know this bike isnt quite enough for some of the big stuff, but im new to it, so I wont be goin too crazy...but ya never know.

^ And yes the forks are brand new, and he never cut down the steer tube, so there is several spacers in there. Its comfortable bc im 6'1", but do you think it would be better to trim it down?? Are there any issues that could occur due to it being like that?

Evil Jr.
    If you're comfortable with it there, I say leave it. High bars do shift your weight a little to the rear wheel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you want to try different positions without cutting it, you can always move the stem up and down in the stack relatively easily (I see a hydraulic jack in the picture so I assume you know your way around a wrench).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    ^ Oh yeah, I may try that. I wrench on my Harley all the time, and repair Heavy Equipment for a living, so im familiar with wrenches yes. hahahah

thanks

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun. I noticed immediately that the bars are considerably higher than the seat. this is good for certain things but not necessarily great for strict XC riding. Like GM said, don't be hesitant to change the position of the bars (height, moved forward or bacK) , saddle position etc. till you find something you like and to know what does not work. Sometimes something works, but you don't find out something else is better until you try it out. Especially, since this is a new bike to you. Have fun.

pin it
    The journey is part of the fun!
    I started with one do it all bike and now I have several (DH, DJ and an all mtn as well as my road bike)

If you are up at blue mtn give a shout, singlesprocket and I ride there most weekends.
    Happy trails
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies