Thread: New dude!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New dude!

Checked out the forum a bit, seems like a great group of people!

I'll introduce myself.
    29, Male (sorry) and most importantly, I'm a motocross racer. It's a little bit odd since my world and the MTB world don't seem to mix (I'll leave that alone) but hopefully we can all get along!

I have a Norco Nitro 9.2 on order. Spent a bit of time looking around, but had to stick below $1500 after taxes, got this at $1275. I found most shops know next to nothing about the bikes they are selling. I spent a few hours researching on the net and the guys at the shops couldn't answer my questions. The LBS guy knew his stuff, talked techie with me and that's how I ended up with my bike. I almost went for the Norco Team but I just couldn't spend the cash. At least it's nice to see there are guys in this sport that are in to the tech as much as us MX guys are, and that we share tech between each other. This is the first year of air forks (well, we tried it on WORKS bikes years ago but it didn't really hold up) for us, so thanks for that!

Been a LONG time since I've been doing this with regularity (like 10-15 years) and my first good bike. This is mostly a cross training tool for my racing, but I hope if I find the time to volunteer with the local club, and on my non-moto weekends maybe do some XC racing.

I have a million questions about racing such as classes, racing "behaviour" and how the weekends themselves work.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    People generally hate you for ripping up single track on your crosser, so don't.

I had an RM and a CZ before getting crotch rockets when I was a young'un, so I get the moto thing quite well.

Welcome btw.

The cardio from biking will certainly blend well with the cardio from moto.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: New dude!

Welcome! Let me know where you plan on riding frequently. I'm similarly aged to you and starting out racing this year too. No mx hobby but close enough.

Have a look at some of the weekly series events going on around the gta or wherever you are and join those. That will probably be the best way to learn a lot about the sport very quickly in a not so serious atmosphere

Evil Jr.
    Welcome aboard!

I started racing as a form of cross-training for another competitive pursuit and decided it was so much fun, I gave up the original sport!

I think you'll find that your base fitness from moto will serve you very well too.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Welcome!

Coles Notes: "Racing Behaviour"

- Don't be a dewshebag.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

'11 Opus Strat
    Welcome!, I have ALWAYS seen MX and MTB go hand in hand ( if you can afford it that is lol ). I know several MX racers ( one in particular that races for Team Monster Energy MX, his mechanic is also my old babysitters son! ) nearly all of them ride MTB in the off-seasons or just as a second two-wheeled self propelled sport, and yes to keep fit.

But I agree with the comment here, Do not take your MX bike on bicycle trails.. just asking for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    People generally hate you for ripping up single track on your crosser, so don't.

I had an RM and a CZ before getting crotch rockets when I was a young'un, so I get the moto thing quite well.

Welcome btw.

The cardio from biking will certainly blend well with the cardio from moto.

Drew
    Thanks for the finger pointing on "ripping up single track". I haven't rode my race bike off of a legit race track in around 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseFool View Post
    Welcome! Let me know where you plan on riding frequently. I'm similarly aged to you and starting out racing this year too. No mx hobby but close enough.

Have a look at some of the weekly series events going on around the gta or wherever you are and join those. That will probably be the best way to learn a lot about the sport very quickly in a not so serious atmosphere
    I'm in the middle of nowhere when it comes to this. Luckily we have a great trail system 10 km away with wednesday night rides, so hopefully I'll get in with those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Welcome!

Coles Notes: "Racing Behaviour"

- Don't be a dewshebag.
    We're a good group at the MX track (I'm sure we all have d-bags though) so I hope the atmosphere is the same in the pits... Or do you guys call it a paddock? Or is it a staging area?
    My biggest question is about passing in the tight trails. Will people feel the pressure and let you go, or do you sometimes need to muscle your way through? I would rather move over if I feel like I'm holding someone up.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    Welcome!, I have ALWAYS seen MX and MTB go hand in hand ( if you can afford it that is lol ). I know several MX racers ( one in particular that races for Team Monster Energy MX, his mechanic is also my old babysitters son! ) nearly all of them ride MTB in the off-seasons or just as a second two-wheeled self propelled sport, and yes to keep fit.

But I agree with the comment here, Do not take your MX bike on bicycle trails.. just asking for it!
    Don't need the warning about being on bike trails. If they are slated as so then it's a no-brainer to stay out. Us responsible guys try to keep other user groups pleased so we can keep what little riding areas we have open.
    I have ridden nothing but licensed tracks and legal off road areas the last 5 years since I got back in to the sport. I'm a conservationist and nearly all of my hobbies are linked to the outdoors, so taking care of what we have is always important to me.
    I have a tender spot on the issue after one of the top places for off road MX in Ontario was shut down by other user groups, despite the fact the MX guys set up the trail system 30-40 years ago and that most of the trails we ride were simply not designed for anything but a motocross bike. It was my local stompin' grounds, and it was awesome to come home on vacation time, get the boys together and live it up for an afternoon like we used to.

Hard to afford both... I just dropped my annual +$3000 spring tune up on the MX bike, race weekends hit $500 easy, and hopefully nothing breaks.
    But, this MTB thing will be awesome for cross training!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    And this finger pointing doesn't help either.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WTR388 View Post

My biggest question is about passing in the tight trails. Will people feel the pressure and let you go, or do you sometimes need to muscle your way through? I would rather move over if I feel like I'm holding someone up.
    It's a bit of a learning curve to the art of passing. Though biggest factor is communication, so the rider knows you are going to pass and which side.

And here is a race series close to Ottawa,

East Cup

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks.
    I guess some trail time will help with the passing thing. In Moto you can let someone know you're there in a few ways, and if after a couple of clean attempts the guy doesn't get the point then it's pretty much expected that if he leaves the door open you're basically going to dive in on him pretty hard.

And thanks for that link!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by WTR388 View Post
    Thanks.
    I guess some trail time will help with the passing thing. In Moto you can let someone know you're there in a few ways, and if after a couple of clean attempts the guy doesn't get the point then it's pretty much expected that if he leaves the door open you're basically going to dive in on him pretty hard.
    There are all kinds of racers out there. Some are going to let you pass with a smile and a pat on the bum (don't ask how I know) and others are going to make you work for it. No matter what, it's always bad news if you both wreck when an ill-advised pass is attempted. The best courses are designed with ample passing zones and sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The most common way to let someone you'd like to pass is to say something like, "When you're ready..." or "When it's safe..." Heavy breathing doesn't hurt. Some people just come up fast and say, "On your left/right" if there's a good spot. Biggest mistake noobs make when being passed is either to stop altogether (and then sometimes fall over in your path) or veer to the side the call was made (i.e. if you said on your left, they'll veer left).

But as gm said, most race courses make a point of interspersing double track passing opportunities at regular intervals, so patience is often the better part of valour. I remember one stage race (think 80 km days, one after another) where we were all delayed in a huge train of riders. This guy pulled a highly sketchy pass, because he "can ride faster than this" (well duh, we all could). I was pretty smug when passing him several kms later as he'd completely bonked.

mtbr member
    If you are fast, go away, we don't need any more competition. But if you are very slow ... WELCOME TO MTB, we hope to see you in races.

JUST KIDDING! We welcome all here.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track