Looking for Adventure

We the people ... New definition of Bicycle according to Ontario legislation

http://bramptoncyclingclub.com/cgi-b...3888684/s-new/

I think we need to write a letter to our local provincial MP.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Upset

Peterborough City Council is proposing a bylaw against them on city owned trails.

http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/...aspx?e=1603633

Here's a e-bike retailer's (obviously biased) opinion:

http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/...aspx?e=1605352

Last night while in Peterborough I observed a woman riding a "scooter-type" e-bike on a sidewalk & crossing streets w/o stopping @ the street. I was slowing making a LH turn as she crossed the street I was turning onto. She hadn't even looked in my direction (I didn't know if the operator was male or female). I tapped the horn & she looked @ me w/ a "who the %^&* are you?" glare & continued on her merry way. I mentioned this to my 11 year old nephew & he said you have to watch out for her as she rides the thing all over. So if you're in Ptbo, watch out for a woman wearing a pink helmet sized for the Great Gazoo, riding w/o any regard for the traffic laws.

I'm surprised that the "scooter-type" e-bikes are even allowed on the roads. Any I've seen appear to be wobbling along, travelling slower than the typical cyclist.
    Last edited by revrnd; 06-10-2009 at 05:05 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    These scooter idiots are a menace everywhere. So are the golf cart people.

mtbr member
    To me the intent of the new definition of bicycle now includes those with electric motors, either power assist (power only applied when rider pedals the crank) or pure e-power (power applied with by depressing a lever on the handle bars independent of pedal crank). To me these are still bicycles b/c you can still pedal on your own power without the motor, hence the term 'power assist'. These are normal bikes with a e-motor added on after.

Anything more in my opinion is not a bicycle as defined by the new legislation. Sorry e-bike scooter retailers but your products are not helping the cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I too have been frustrated by the impingement of e-motorcycles into the no man's land that is given me to ride in here in the GTA.

One thing I've noticed is that there are two distinct types of e-motorcycles popping up. One looks like a scooter with small wheels and fairings, but others look like bikes with a huge square battery in the main triangle.

I find the scooter type to be more intrusive, and I agree that the legislation referred to here is very disturbing. My consolation in this matter is the thought that the door prize scenario that I live with every day suddenly gets a lot more interesting.

mtbr member
    How does this change in the definition of bicycle effect really effect anyone? A bicycle is considered a vehicle by the Highway Traffic Act and is subject to most rules and regs in the HTA. This updated definition simply includes those new e-bike thingies, but has always included motor assisted bicycles. The HTA definition of a bike has nothing to do with what is considered a bike by any other definition or under any other laws. Read any law and the first portion is definitions, these definitions are often not the common usage of the terms. If fact the inclusion of e-bikes in the HTA allows for regulations to control them, just like the rest of us.
    This change in definition will not confuse the police and judges, it in fact clears up confusion related to a previously undefined entity.
    This change will have little or no impact on a real cyclists life.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    How does this change in the definition of bicycle effect really effect anyone? A bicycle is considered a vehicle by the Highway Traffic Act and is subject to most rules and regs in the HTA. This updated definition simply includes those new e-bike thingies, but has always included motor assisted bicycles. The HTA definition of a bike has nothing to do with what is considered a bike by any other definition or under any other laws. Read any law and the first portion is definitions, these definitions are often not the common usage of the terms. If fact the inclusion of e-bikes in the HTA allows for regulations to control them, just like the rest of us.
    This change in definition will not confuse the police and judges, it in fact clears up confusion related to a previously undefined entity.
    This change will have little or no impact on a real cyclists life.
    I believe the issue is based around the use of cycling paths and bike lanes. Nothing will be more annoying and possibly more dangerous than a motorized bike on a city park cycling path, or mopeds using road bike lanes.

mtbr member
    It is confusing.

A few weeks ago, a guy on an e-bike was driving NB on Yonge Street north of Eglinton.

I was in my car.

Traffic was down to one lane each way due to construction.

The e-bike guy would alternate between the sidewalk, to the road (mixed in with the cars), to the right side of the construction cones, then splitting lanes with parked cars once the road widened.

It was really dangerous as he wasn't signalling and would just pop back out into traffic in order to "get ahead".

I think they need to clarify where and when these things can be used. The sidewalk should be a definite no-no.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Sidewalks are a no no for ALL bikes, including the traditional pedal yourself kind. The NB guy on Yonge St was in the wrong regardless of the bike he was riding.

mtbr member
    Although these things are vehicles by definition in the HTA, the Criminal Code defines them as a "Motor Vehicle" and as such drivers are still held accountable. Like this idiot who got done for Impaired. Apparently his licence was under suspension for criminal reasons and I guess he figured an e-bike would fit the bill for transportation while he went bar hopping.

http://www.thefountainpen.com/cgi-bin/showstory?id=7529
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Oh well. Peterborough city council reverses stand on e-bikes.

http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/...aspx?e=1614555

Check TV story from CHEX TV 12 here:

http://www.chextv.com/
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Oh well. Peterborough city council reverses stand on e-bikes.

http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/...aspx?e=1614555

Check TV story from CHEX TV 12 here:

http://www.chextv.com/
    Allowing ebikes aka "scooters" on park trails is a huge mistake. I can bet that the majority of the owners will be incompetent in controlling these things at speed and have a high probability of hitting pedestrians and dogs. It will just be a matter of time. Dumb, dumb.

I already rode that
    The ones that look like a scooter should be treated just like its gas powered counterparts. A friend has one and while it is fun to ride on it sucks at stopping. You have to pretty well start braking well in advance if you are at top speed and hope nothing jumps infront of you suddenly cause you will hit it if you dont swerve out of the way.

I see more bike idiots then these scooter idiots on the street. Like the other day on the Danforth this one idiot was flying along the sidewalk.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb

I see more bike idiots then these scooter idiots on the street. Like the other day on the Danforth this one idiot was flying along the sidewalk.
    This notion that a higher percentage of cyclists are idiots than users of any other mode of transportation is familiar of course because it is constantly cited by cagers to refute any suggestion that cagers need to change their behaviour on the roads. Yet, I am surprised to see it here on a cycling forum. Or did you mean that you see more bike-riding idiots for the simple reason that cyclists outnumber e-motorcyclists by say < wild-a** guess> 50:1<\wild-a**guess> at the present time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    is it illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk downtown?