mtbr member

Need info about buying a bike from the US..

A friend seems dead set on buying a new bike from the U.S.
    Not knowing which make/model at this time , other then the
    cost differance (if any ) , I was wondering if there would be any
    issues with Can/U.S. warranties .

Has anyone here bought a bike that was available in Can. , from
    the U.S. and can share their experiences ?

Thanks .

mtbr member
    Dont expect the warranty to be intact if bought online and cross border. It will likely be up to the manufacturer and whether or not the place you bought it from is an authorized dealer for that brand. But i would not count on it being honoured.
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)

mtbr member
    The only issue for warranty would be for a frame failure as everything else would
    be components from other manufacturers .

mtbr member
    Yeah - but that is the major benefit of a warranty! And not just frame failure but a component on the frame may also be updated. I had an early production run with a swingarm that had a sleight change in future productions that helped improve/eliminate shifting interference with the front derailuer. If it was under warranty then the swingarm would be replaced no problem but now I am looking at purchasing a new swingarm, or trying to find a cheaper fix, which I haven't found yet.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I've bought one complete bike and two frames from the US. You may get hassle if you buy a big brand like GF or Specialized that has dealer support over here but if you are buying more specialized (small S) stuff like Niner or Commencal they don't seem to care.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Looking for Adventure
    Yup, bought 3 bikes, one road, one mountain full sussy, one cyclocross. All good experiences. Haven't tested warranty, but I suspect you would have to do a lot of kissing to get defects handled in Canada under warranty (you have to be willing to take the warranty risk for a lower price). Boutique brands not available in Canada would be better received at your LBS for service, like pinkheadedbug remarked.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Misfit Psycles
    trek is a trek is a trek.
    so long as you are the first owner and the shop is not black (or grey) listed by the manufacturer, you will have access to warranty.

the only difficulty may come in the form of localized support (or LBS).
    in the event of a warranty concern, you should contact the manufacturer (or even the shop you purchased from) to discuss the situation.
    i don't think it's fair to ask the dealer (here) to do that.
    that said, you may eventually be directed to the LBS by the manufacturer and the dealer may not be pleased, but expect the warranty to be handled, begrudgingly or not.

just be prepared to do the legwork and any assembly/disassembly that may be associated with or pay the shop to do it...but i'd assume most think that's fair anyway.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    trek is a trek is a trek.
    so long as you are the first owner and the shop is not black (or grey) listed by the manufacturer, you will have access to warranty.
    I don't think that is true for every manufacturer. Some have both Canadian and US divisions that operate independently.

I just tried to return a coffee maker that was bought in the US (was a gift) to the Canadian service centre, only to be told that they don't honour US warranties...

I would definitely check with the manufacturer, before I bought.
    It's only pain......

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    I don't think that is true for every manufacturer. Some have both Canadian and US divisions that operate independently.
    to clarify.
    in the event of an issue i suggested you contact the shop you bought from or the manufacturer.
    should add, if they operate two divisions, contact the one in the country you purchased it from as a start.

a famous web personality once had an issue with a camera he purchased while in Canada for the TransRockies...it died...he was handled by the CDN division for warranty...relatively hassle free although he did have to pay the difference in shipping the camera back to the US or send it to me for forwarding (with a box of awesome).
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    support your LBS or at least the Canadian dealers. You can get much more convenience, initial and after sales service from your LBS. And they will probably bend over backwards to get you warranty coverage. Not to mention all the benefits of supporting your local economy.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought a set of wheels from Jenson in the U.S. and when I had the rear freewheel exploded on the trail one day, Mavic Canada told me sorry about my luck, but I needed to go thru Mavic USA to get any warranty work done. Shipped back to Jenson, who handled things perfectly for me... but shipping got pretty darn expensive.

If they are dead set to buy from the U.S. just check with the manufacturer if they have a Canadian branch, and if you can get it fixed in Canada, because many companies won't. I deal with warranties and the electronics industry all the time, and I know for a fact when you buy things here in Canada it is a CANADIAN warranty that you get.

Cheers!

Tim

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input .
    Friend bought the bike from Can.